Beckham hits out at LA Galaxy critics

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by MLS1FAN, Sep 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barca82

Barca82 New Member

Apr 27, 2007
    You must be a loser LAG fan! I don't you know if you exactly saw that game or what, but I saw a mediocre mexican club out shoot, out class and totally dominate for nearly the entire game (both games). I'm not a FMF myself but correct me if am wrong but didn't that pachuca club win 4 titles in the last year, including a south american tournament. So I guess when a mickey mouse league club like the LAG (or any MLS club) can do the same, you better hold on to your useless remarks. I would tell you to go buy an overprice washed up beckmen jersey, but my guess is you are already prouding walking around with it on like a dumb shit.......

2. Nochum

Nochum Member

Jun 27, 2005
    Riverside, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, get a dictionary before you start insulting anyone.

3. JonfromVegas

JonfromVegas Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    English much? You talky like retard!

4. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to see Beckham standing up for the League. I will say this. I don't think MLS is on par with the EPL. But I watched the Fulham vs Tottenham match this past weekend. And those two clubs could not string 3 passes together. Aside from an exciting finish, it was pretty ugly football. And I really don't think either of those teams could beat the better MLS sides right now. I really think that DC United would be lower mid-table in the EPL. Take your shots if you must. But that's my opinion.

5. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you're completely right. mls team simply are not as good as mexican clubs, but they aren't nearly as bad as most mexican league fans would like to believe.

regardless of all that, mls fans asking for their respect/love/whatever just aren't going to get it. it will take a decade of continental domination by american clubs to get that kind of respect, and frankly that will never happen. the money and quality just isn't there yet to compete and it won't be for at least another decade in the very best of scenarios. even then, mexico will still have giant teams like american and chivas who will always take home silverware every year or so.

i'm ok with that. i just want mls teams to be competative in the americas. i don't expect chelsea's and manchester united's overnight.

6. jchae

jchae Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The EPL was considered a declining and boring league until the globalization of soccer exploded in the early to mid 1990's and now it's a bunch of foreign players on each team. Arsenal has no English player that is a regular. Liverpool has only four. Chelsea and Man U might have a little more, but chances are they have more foreign players on the pitch at a given time than English players. Point is, I find it funny the English are quick to make fun of the league here, but our league is mostly domestic talent. If we had clubs worth billions of dollars, we would be importing in top level foreign players. If the EPL was majority English players, it would not be a top league.

7. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    who is Beckmen? Did you mean Peter Venkman? :confused:

8. Davidraether

Davidraether New Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Steve McClaren's assessment of the MLS as upper Championship/lower Premiership is probably pretty fair, if slightly generous.

I'd take the worst MLS team (the Galaxy) over Derby County any day of the week. And what about a match between a mid-table Premiership squad like West Ham and the MLS' best team, DC United? Is West Ham an automatic win in that game? I don't think so.

Is DC United capable of competing with Chelsea or Liverpool or Man-U? No. But they certainly would be competitive against Sunderland, Portsmouth or Middlesbrough.

The harping against the MLS both domestically and internationally is probably fear-based.

What happens to the TV rights and merchandising values of teams in the EPL or La Liga when the MLS is a 20-team league and is able to adequately compensate full internationals at the peaks of their careers?

Clearly, we're a ways away from that... but a lot closer than we were a few years ago.

The MLS has -- and will continue to develop -- a different style of play. An American style that emphasizes athleticism, speed and power. Beckham is right in his evaluation of it. It's a different type style than you'd see in Spain or England or Mexico. The top Mexican teams now struggle to beat -- and sometimes lose to -- MLS teams... and Mexico had a 90 year head start on a fully-functioning professional league.

The big Euro leagues are beginning to have the same problem with the MLS that the NBA is beginning to have with European basketball leagues: there are great players who can spend their careers completely outside the NBA and don't need the NBA to prove their skills or make a great living.

For decades, the US never even lost a game in international basketball. Now, they struggle to win tournaments.

And those Euro leagues play a different version of basketball, a style that is suited to what their athletes can deliver.

Look, the NBA will always be bigger and more valuable than the Greek or Italian pro leagues... but not that much bigger and not that much more valuable.

And the same thing is going to happen to the MLS and the big Euro leagues.

9. monkey

monkey New Member

May 6, 2003
    Oakland

This post is hilarious. Can someone please tell me where can I buy one of those Beckmen jerseys? What number does he wear?

10. JoeMax

JoeMax New Member

Oct 5, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he saw the game you saw. I don't think anyone else did either. And, isn't that "mediocre mexican club", league champions?

11. El Chibchombiano

El Chibchombiano New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    Lake Zurich
    Clearly, we're a ways away from that... but a lot closer than we were a few years ago.

The MLS has -- and will continue to develop -- a different style of play. An American style that emphasizes athleticism, speed and power. Beckham is right in his evaluation of it.
    ...The big Euro leagues are beginning to have the same problem with the MLS that the NBA is beginning to have with European basketball leagues: there are great players who can spend their careers completely outside the NBA and don't need the NBA to prove their skills or make a great living.

...And those Euro leagues play a different version of basketball, a style that is suited to what their athletes can deliver.

...Look, the NBA will always be bigger and more valuable than the Greek or Italian pro leagues... but not that much bigger and not that much more valuable.

...And the same thing is going to happen to the MLS and the big Euro leagues.[/quote]

that one really got me thinking...there is some truth there...here is another one to chew on...Americans and cycling...i remember the 7-11 team being the ridicule of europe in the 80's...i remember my colombian family mocking me touring the heyday of colombian cycling when they were always up in the standings of the tour de france and americans were nowhere to be found...but little by little...some success here, some success there and Greg Lemond wins the tour and the floodgates open...watching the Blue Bullet of the US Postal Service team tear it up with Armstrong just shows me that American soccer is on the fringe of being a HUGE success...it really just takes some international success to get heads to turn (like WC 2002, Gold Cup 2007, Confederations Cup 2009??, WC 2010??, participate in copa libertadores)...anyways, good thread

12. Anthony W

Anthony W New Member

May 8, 2004
    Man, we are going to be so screwed if the USA basketball team wins a gold medal at the olympics. LOL, it just that we really need them to keep losing to keep the faith in ourselves. :)

13. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, because only the NFL is the NFL. Sure, there are lessons to be learned from the success of any organization, but thinking like the NFL in the 11th year of the NFL might be a more appropriate set of observances, imv; in the end, MLS has its own mark to make, it own place in a fragmented marketplace...I think that mark and that place is utterly unlike the NFL.

IOW, the NFL in year 11 didn't think like the NFL today, either. Adopting a mindset of an organization with resources cultivated over decades of hard work and lean times while lacking most of what makes that organization successful today is misplaced thinking, imv.

14. nicamex1935

nicamex1935 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Sorry man, but the English Premier League is on a whole other level. In the Champions' League last year, 3 of the 4 teams in the semis were from England. Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, even though obviously Milan won it all.
    The best MLS teams are more on par with the second division of England...
    Fulham and Tottenham, if it was ugly (I didn't get to watch the game) are playing at a completely different pace than MLS teams and they just would not be able to keep up. People that watch this league weekly probably would say this is the most fast-paced game of futbol there is. But like you said, it is your opinion and nothing wrong with that. I just disagree...:)

15. Eyedea900

Eyedea900 Member

Aug 14, 2006
    California
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Well i couldnt say Pachuca dominated both games; however, LAG had great runs and shit and yes the MLS is getting better i just dont get why when you throw an opinion people start saying that the MLS is better than the FMF, when its not, well at least not yet, the difference between the leagues is getting smaller and smaller every year, and about the final i could say hell yeah Pachuca ran trough Galaxy like there was no tommorow

16. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Man, pub team to me is a compliment. Thank you very much. Eff those euro snob newspaper writers. The fact that they are writing about us at all means we are heading in the right direction. Now if Beckham could get fit, and the rest of the team get united, we'd prove them all wrong and give them a lot more soccer news to write about. And they'd love us for it.

17. nicamex1935

nicamex1935 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I heard Becks is going to England for a 4-month leave... Heard it on around the horn, ESPN. BTW, those guys on that show except for a couple are all losers.

18. Barca82

Barca82 New Member

Apr 27, 2007
    I apologize for my grammar errors; unfortunately I haven’t had the privilege to learn English as my first and only language like most of you bitches. On the other hand, I have had the privilege to watch real football in the Bernabeu, Camp Nou, Allianz Arena, something most of you know nothing about. Don’t misunderstand me I have nothing against the MLS, I just see it for what it actually is, a league for youngster and retirees. I admit they do have some talented players; atidore would be one of them. Hopefully Atidore will make it overseas soon and then in 15-20 years he can go back to the MLS to retire. I’m done now, so I’ll let you get back to jerking off to BECKHAM’S lone MLS goal.

19. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they also don't know anything at all about soccer so i wouldn't believe it until you read it in sports illustrated, one of the mls columnists on espn soccernet.com, or a reliable source like the washington post's steve goff.

they're probably just rehashing the old british tabloid rumor from a month ago.

20. Davidraether

Davidraether New Member

Dec 7, 2006
    First, apologize for me my English bad. I be world traveler who watch the football in big stadium in many city you only see on map, bitches!

The MLS is stink. You go to Espana and you see good futbol. Par exampl, I see Getafe v Levante in big stadium in Espana. Much good futbol than MLS, which is full of the player who are 55 year old.

Getafe is better club. They win many game and play gooder futbol than DC Unite.

There! I prove point! Hah, hah, pathetic American bitches!

21. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    [​IMG]

:confused::D

22. jchae

jchae Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You Spanish people make me laugh. I don't know why anyone even bothers to pay interest in a league where only the big two teams and maybe Valencia have a shot at winning the title. Every other league in the world is more competitive. The bottom half of the Spanish league is terrible. You are a moron, go study some English so you don't come off as more of an idiot.

23. JonfromVegas

JonfromVegas Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I lived in Europe for quite awhile. I've been to stadiums all over the world. I also speak spanish fluently. What's your point???

If you don't like MLS, then stay out of the MLS forums. It's pretty simple right? Or did you not learn common sense in your country either?

24. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Hahahaha! That was focking brilliant!

25. lerxst

lerxst Member

May 23, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Look, we've established that English isn't your first language; fair enough but why do you feel the need to come onto our forums and bash a league that we're care passionately about? We understand that the quality of football might not be top caliber but it's ours nonetheless and it will grow.

Perhaps it's that growth potential that brings out the worst in Europeans. When you have a market of 330,000,000 (USA/CAN) rabid consumers with a passion for sport in general, it will only be a matter of time before there is a noticeable improvement in the overall support base and quality of play. Combine that with the wealthiest nation in the world and that spells disaster for European clubs doesn't it. Why? Take the BPL for example. How many owners are already American? Think about it. MLS will simply bide it's time and continue to run at a respectable pace. A pace that will guarantee its successful future. 'Til then please refrain from wasting our time with your laughable comments.

By the way, it's "MLS" not "the MLS". The Major League Soccer just sounds silly.