Beckham Deal is Done - LA Times

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Topper, Mar 8, 2009.

?

It's DB's first introduction on the roster since rejoining LAG. How will you greet him?

1. Cheer wildly! After all, he's still part of the LAG family!!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I'll clap, but I'm not thrilled with his recent actions.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I will boo him as loud as I can!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. F**K David Beckham! Let him ride the bench from July to October!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. The keys to remember are that:

1. The salary cap is for the whole season - it isn't divided into sections. i.e. - if the cap is 2.2 million, that doesn't mean we can only spend 1.1 in the first half of the season and 1.1 in the second half.

2. The incoming transfer window doesn't close until the middle of April.

And most importantly:

3. Rosters and salaries aren't locked until August after the second transfer window closes.

So what that means is -- the 200k we've just saved could be used however we wish, the same as if we cut players from the roster totally 200k. So we could go out and sign a player for $200k yearly salary (like say, a really good central defender). And secondly, when Beckham comes back, that newly signed player doesn't have to be the player cut from the team. Any player without a guaranteed contract could be cut.

So, someone like a Josh Tudela or Leonard Griffin could make the team now, we could sign (for example) Osman Chavez for the start of the season using the newly acquired cap space, but when Becks comes back, we could cut Tudela or Griffin to make the roster spot available.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong - but that's how I'm understanding the rules...

2. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or you could look at it the other way and go to a player and say -- normally you'd be cut, but since we have an open roster spot for the first half of the season, we'll give you the opportunity to be on the team and give you 3 months to try to impress us enough to move ahead of someone else on the roster.

I'm all for team chemistry, but one problem with our team has been that with an utter lack of depth, I don't think there has been enough competition for time on the field and the team hasn't trained hard as it could - which translates to our lack of toughness on the field.

I mean, compare what Landon went through here - a guaranteed starter - twhat he faced with Bayern Munich - having to fight and claw for every minute on the field.

And it think that is the same for every player- from no. 1 all the way down to 24. So I wouldn't mind it at all if these players had to work a little harder and give it their all to ensure they make it on this team. Playing time should be a priveldge that you earn, not just given b/c of a lack of better options....

3. shirteesdotnet

Feb 13, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great post '96. As far as Im concerned, a "soccer specific" stadium is a bunch of B.S. Its just a nice term for the owners getting all of the money from the games. Sharing our new stadium with CUSA is a friggin joke... Should have never been allowed. They should have gotten into a loan deal with some other stadium and the built up and gone from there. AEG needs to put the wrench on them and tighten things up. Force them out of HDC within 3 years. Force CUSA to go build a stadium someplace. Whether its in San Diego, Riverside, Pomona... hell the Salton Sea as far as Im conserned!

4. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    but it did hurt him in 08. towards the second half of 2008 (prior to milan), he was no longer an automatic callup by capello. and according to capello, he wasn't going to be called up regularly leading to SA2010 unless he was fit (which is difficult to do while playing in MLS because the season runs differently than europe) and playing top flight soccer (which wasn't gonna happen in MLS).

5. Venturadoc

Venturadoc Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Ventura, CA
    Well said and certainly didn't see it from that angle. You are right that this is an opportunity for one or two players. All players want to play from 1-24. Your scenario might lead to more competition which may improve the product on the field. Football is a sport that requires all 11 working together as a unit. How Becks integrates with the squad will be interesting. Essentially you have a guy who doesn't want to be here (I think we can all agree about that) taking a position of a player who would do anything to keep his place. I dont know, I guess it could be positive but I doubt it.

6. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, now I'm getting it.

I thought we had to cut player and salary because I thought Becks would be back up to 400,000 cap hit when he came back. So with the 200,000 from day 1, maybe (please!!!!) we can do something. Too bad Galaxy couldn't have known that all along..we might have been further along in negotiating for the $200,000 quality defender by now.

7. drew coho ohio

Apr 15, 2008
    Columbus OH USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

that game is a joke, so we are in mid-season going to play a meaningless friendly against the team that screwed us? Hold the pasta, I'm going to get sick.

8. Ludwig77

Ludwig77 New Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pissed that I have to waste a bonus game ticket on this. F-that...I'll take my $50 back please. (Or maybe I'll sell it to a sucker for $120!!!)

9. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm so glad I did not renew this season.

10. Since1996

Since1996 New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    I agree with you ! I am so shocked, and maybe I shouldn't be, that AEG thinks this is a good idea.

AEG ...ARE YOU KIDDING? A meaningless mid-season friendly against the team which screwed us??? And you think fans aren't going to see this as insult to injury? Are you really that out to lunch???

Apparently!!!

11. rtdavide

rtdavide Member+

Apr 20, 2005
    Whittier, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok, as a fan of ACMilan, with family in Milano, i'm going to that game. I know i'll be in a very small minority, but I want to see them.
    As a bigger fan of the Galaxy, I'll be pulling for the Galaxy at said game.

And while I don't admire what has happened with Beckham, I really don't see this as ACMilan screwing the Galaxy. I basically see this as Beckham himself pulling the deal. Milan had thier part in it, i grant, but Capello is the one that said: get time with a European team if you expect to see time with England again, and Beckham did what he thought he had to do because apparently England is more important to him than whatever other commitments he made.

I can't call him money-grubbing because it basically seems like he bought his way out of the original deal at quite a personal cost to his bank account.

I'm not happy about the hit the MLS and the Galaxy are taking in all this, but neither am I going to get bitter about it. The more i read about certain details, the better it sounds for us, and maybe in the long run, i'll appreciate what we got out of it. But it sure looks like once Beckham decided he wanted to stay there, our hands were semi-tied in the whole thing. Short of forcing him, which is always unlikely, it's about trying to get the best out of it that we could.

The salary cap thing is decent if it means that we can at least bring in another player at 200k. though i would have thought it worth it and then some if he'd renounced his salary altogether, reworked the contract and we could move on to another DP and move forward with our goals. but perhaps that was just wishful thinking.
    a couple of guys posting comments on Ives board, thought that the Galaxy were again receiving special treatment that his salary cap went down at all, citing specifically that Claudio Reynas cap hit continued for the remainder of 2008 even though he retired midway through the season. It's hard to see the galaxy getting much benefit from all this, but i guess people will see whatever they want.

It's also being reported that Beckham gave up the right to walk for free at the end of the season.... strange if he is actually considering doing so.... apparently he will have to pay a boatload more. so either he is planning on staying or, he is planning on losing a lot more money in order to move on.

like i said, it seems like once he made it public he wanted to stay at Milan for the season, there wasn't much we could do except get as much out of the deal as possible.

12. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am hoping to eBay my tickets to that game to some Ronaldo fanboy, and thereby reduce my investment in season tickets.

ACM is absolutely the last team I want to see.

How much you want to bet ACM is doing this (with a waiver of an appearance fee) because they didn't want to come up with the cash for Beckham.

13. Poling

Poling Member

May 14, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    okay this is fun!!!! :(

I am disappointed that Becks isn't going to be back; am I pissed yea a little bit. Do i understand sure. He has pride in playing for his country just as we do for any US National player playing for his. That is why we think Adu. Edu, Beasley and any one else not playing full minutes needs to get to a club that will give them minutes. (Okay not the same compare as Becks and yes i am reaching).

My two cents; it is well documented that ACM has trained their players to play effectively well past their prime. It has done wonders for Becks. He is playing topflight soccer and giving himself ever advantage to play for his country.

What this means for the Galaxy; we have $200K to play with; lets get a defender; Omar? And when Becks comes back lets hope we are playing well and he fills in nicely to the roster.

My big question now becomes the future. All snipits are pointing that Becks is in MLS for the long haul; now having to buy out his contract at the end of 2009; buying into ownership of a club. So what happens next Spring leading up to WC2010? Do we lose Beckham again till July?

I mean he is going to want to be in top form and he feels ACM is the way to get there. I think we are going to see this same thing happen again next year. And then after WC2010 Becks will stay with the Galaxy.

14. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    A woman was walking into my local grocery store this afternoon as I walking out.

Lo and behold, she had a L.A. Galaxy Beckham jersey on.

I approached her and said "Excuse me, would you ever consider sharing yourself between your husband and a much better looking, richer man?"

She tried to sidestep me but I blocked her way.

"Would you?"

"No, no I wouldn't" She said, very nervous now.

"Exactly, that's why you are a lady and David Beckham is a little bitch."

I left before she could get security.

15. sanda

sanda Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Virginia
    The more I look at this deal, the more it looks like that Becks paid to buy himself sometime to stay in Milan for WC10. It's like an unfinished goal that he had to finish first. Once that's done, he still wants to get back to Galaxy instead of retiring in Milan.

16. sanda

sanda Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Virginia
    You need some help.

17. Benz280

Benz280 Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Galaxias
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. tehphil

tehphil Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Colorado
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's downright creeper status.

19. jorgeinla4

jorgeinla4 New Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Security or her hubby...

You are truly one sick puppy but funny, nevertheless :D

20. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Times Quotes

Just some fun quotes from my main man Tim Lieweekly.:

On getting DB to this point.

"I think after some conversations between us and David and his folks, David began to understand that he didn't want to leave the league either," Leiweke said. "So this is a good solution. It allows him to finish the season with Milan. We will see him in July. I'm very excited about the Milan game."

Translation: I can't wait to gouge the stupid public and bamboozle the media into another meaningless waste of time... like the Chelsea game in 2007.

On re-gifting the captain's armband back to Landon Donovan.

"Landon's the man," Leiweke said. "We clearly believe that long-term this team is built around Landon Donovan. He's the best American player by far. "So there is no question. And David agrees with that, by the way. David believes this team should be Landon's team."

Translation: I was a total twat for giving it to David Beckham in the first place. But if I successfully pull this move outta my ass it will look like I was behind Landon Donovan all the way. And besides David isn't staying that long in a Galaxy uniform so I better give it back to LD or I will look like total twat again.

On 10% ticket price discounts. (Tom Payne)

The truth is, we've been talking about this for quite a while. It's the right thing to do based on the fact that the player [Beckham] is coming back in mid-year, but it's also the right thing to do based on where we are with the economy."

Translation:The sheep and mindless consumer trolls (fans) actually got off their lazy asses and sent in enough emails and phone calls for us at AEG to notice. So we decided that it was in the best interest of the "economy" not to gouge our clientel during this tumultuous time. Besides we will raise the prices on concession food to make it up.. haha idiot los angeles galaxy soccer fans.

On the LA Galaxy vs AC Milan game on July 19th.

"They didn't want to do the game," Leiweke said, "and we told them we're not making this deal without the game."

Translation: It is great to make a club play us when they don't want to... it makes my already miniscule penis twice the size when I can pull off a corporate coup on a bunch of salami eatin' dagos. I showed them who is boss.. all will cower to the power that is Tim Lieweke.

On AEG not wanting to let Beckham go without a fight.

"There was no way we were going to let David just leave, that wouldn't have been good for our team. And we weren't going to let David opt out at the end of the year and show nothing for it."

Translation: We showed you that we are serious about soccer in this country buddy. You aren't going to just leave us high and dry.........are you? David please stay the Tony Sanneh pre-order jersey sales numbers just came in... oh god please stay, please stay I'm begging you!!

Finally the resolution for Becks to come back to Los Angeles.

"David's happy that it worked out the way it has and he's excited," he said. "His wife and kids weren't going anywhere. They were staying here. So when people were saying he loathed coming back here and he didn't want to do it and he thought he'd made a mistake coming, that was [nonsense].

Translation: Have you ever noticed I like to lie alot.

21. rabbitpig

rabbitpig New Member

Jul 19, 2007

She should call 911 and you'd better set an appointment with doctor!

22. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repped.

The rest of you lot need to sack up.

23. soccrfn

soccrfn New Member

Mar 21, 2003
    Nahhh.. he'll play 85 hard minutes for Milan and the last 5 for the Galaxy so we'll by tickets and jerseys.

...and he'll get hurt in the 86th minute.

I can't wait. When are the tix for sale?

24. soccrfn

soccrfn New Member

Mar 21, 2003
    That is sooooooooooo funnyyy!!

25. Rodneyd44

Rodneyd44 New Member

Aug 28, 2002
    North OC, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a little early to start planing, but we need to organize a stadium wide BOOOOing for Mr. Beckham the first time he sets foot on our pitch.