Beasley Update ? [UEFA CUP R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by LeperKhan, May 1, 2008.

1. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    Has anyone heard if/when Beas may be back with Rangers yet this season? According to the ussoccer podcast interview with him last week, he said he was back in Glasgow in training and hoping to play in the next couple weeks. With Rangers squeaking through to the UEFA Cup final, any chance he could play a part? I browsed around the Rangers web site, but couldn't find any updates on his status. Would be pretty sweet if he could make it back in time and get on the field for that match.

2. MarvelousNTx

MarvelousNTx Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Arlington --AggTown
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DaMarcus returned to full training last week. His fitness is probably in question right now. I'm sure we'll see him again real soon.

3. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what a match.....

I pray that Beasley has a chance of being healthy for the conclusion of this thing. Massive, massive game.

This would be the biggest profile match of a YA for his club ever if beasley plays am i correct??

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Thomas Dooley and David Wagner won the UEFA Cup with Schalke in 1997 but neither played in the final, which at the time, was still a two-legged affair. (The last year, I believe, for the two-legged UEFA Cup finals.)

I'd be surprised if Beasley plays in the final, though Cousin being sent off certainly helps his chances. However, I think this will increase the chances that he plays in Rangers last couple of SPL games as Smith will likely want to keep some guys rested for the UEFA final.

5. new_skin

new_skin Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Boston
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11781_3509968,00.html

Looks like there's a chance Beasley sees the field this weekend for the first time in a while. The man was playing so well in league and UEFA play before his injury that I hope he gets some time in the UEFA Cup final and helps Rangers to the Quad.

6. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Rangers need a 10 or 15 minute burst of speed off the bench, it's possible that they might play him in the finals. I wouldn't expect it, though. He's had a long way to come back and not much time now to prove himself. Also, Bease didn't play well for a long time at PSV last time he was hurt. You have to fear that will happen again.

7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Zenit will destroy them with speed, though Pogrebniak's (2nd yellow late in the game when Zenit was up by the final margin ... people are screaming at Advocaat for not taking him out earlier and at the player himself for being such an undisciplined moron) suspension will help Gers somewhat.

8. green94

green94 Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a feeling the final will be a fairly boring encounter. Zenit seemed much more content to absorb pressure and counter against Leverkusen and Bayern and Rangers enjoy going into their shell in Euro competitions. I mean, Smith has done that so far and I don't see him changing for the final. I think it will be a 1-0/2-1 type game.

9. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
  10. izha

izha Member

May 24, 2002
    Even if out of shape, Beasley can perfectly play Cobi Jones role for the last 15 minutes if Rangers are ahead.

11. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    So can several other healthy Rangers players....

Why risk DMB playing, when not fit, not match fit, still rehabbing, when you can play guys that are healthy?

Probably aint gonna happen.

12. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How about when Beasley was playing for PSV in the Champions League Semis? That was pretty big, espeially when Beasley led the club in goes in CL qualifying.

13. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. cloudy3139

cloudy3139 New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Irvine, Scotland
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Beasley does have a very good chance of playing for a little while on Sunday, as we (Rangers) are missing two of our other left midfielders; Adam and McCulloch, while Whittaker who played there in the last few games is suspended.

Rangers are desperate for players in that position right now, because 2 of our other players who can play on the left; Naismith and Burke are also missing. Although Burke could also make a return this weekend.

So DMB has a good chance of playing some part on Sunday.

He's been keeping busy though, he was a special guest at the opening of a hair salon in my hometown of Irvine, about a month ago, which is about 40 minutes from Glasgow.:D

16. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks for the update. Glad to see Run DMB kickin it with the natives.

17. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Didn't Kirovski appear in a CL final?

18. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm pretty sure he didn't play in the final, although he played in an earlier round game and scoring. He was either the first or the youngest US player to score in a CL game. He's the only American to have a CL medal.

19. new_skin

new_skin Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Boston
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't appear in the final, he didn't appear in the semi's (Beasley was the first), and he wasn't in the quarter-final (O'Brien was the first). Does anyone actually know for a fact that he even got the medal?

20. aztecbolt

aztecbolt New Member

May 1, 2008
    San Diego
    hopefully beasley will be back for the friendlies and world cup qualifying
    ya, it would be cool if he gets time on rangers but country comes first
    as long as he is still training he will have his confidence back
    if he had it once he will always have it

21. MarvelousNTx

MarvelousNTx Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Arlington --AggTown
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In his podcast to US Soccer he said he'd be back for the England game.

22. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    John Harkes played in the first leg of the FA Cup final in 1993. That's got to count for something, maybe on par with an UEFA Cup final.

Edit: Although I'll also vote for Beasley in the CL semis.

23. SDBhoy

SDBhoy New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Santa Barbara
    This sucks, this is the only way I can possibly think of myself not being happy for an American should he win a Euro medal. Why Rangers Beasely... why? :(

24. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
  25. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Howard won it