Beasley -- Reported DUI

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by WarriorSoccer, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarriorSoccer

WarriorSoccer Member

Nov 3, 2005
    Wasn't sure how many of you guys check out the yanks-abroad forum too, but I guess this should have a place here in the News and Analysis being he is going to get some serious minutes in the upcoming cups.

He got pulled over for a DUI heres the YA link

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258837&page=6

2. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Re: Beasley Arrested

What has this got to do with USMNT N&A?

3. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, it's news, and he plays for the USMNT?

Oh, alright, nothing.

4. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

is it wrong that im sorta disapointed he didnt have a gun too just so there would be a chance of soccer coverage on espn?

5. WarriorSoccer

WarriorSoccer Member

Nov 3, 2005

Well, he is a star player on the US team, Arena has talked about holding USNT members to a higher level of standards ie leaving Dempsey off of the roster. And the Dutch have some pretty stiff DWI/DUI laws, i dont know if he is facing any jail time or what not, but he could end up missing part of the camp if he has legal obligations.

6. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD

It's not news about the team.

The thread he linked to was originally created in October of '05 and was about Beasley's issues Dutch customs.

The post about the DUI was written today about an article that appeared on some Dutch web site a week ago.

7. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD

Read this

8. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA

It woudn't be relevant if it was about Edson Buddle's DUI. :D

9. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He has to go before the judge on April 21. Isn't that the point or am I missing something? Beasley going to jail might have some impact on the team, so that's news about the team. How strict are we here?

10. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

lol
    Article 9, I see. Say no more.

11. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD

There is NO news about the USMNT in this thread. There is NO analysis about the USMNT in this thread.

IT. DOES. NOT. BELONG. HERE.

How hard is that to understand?

12. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ooooh, I guess you better get all worked up about it, then.

news ( P ) Pronunciation Key (nz, nyz)
    pl.n. (used with a sing. verb)

Information about recent events or happenings, especially as reported by newspapers, periodicals, radio, or television.
    A presentation of such information, as in a newspaper or on a newscast.
    New information of any kind
    Newsworthy material

13. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I definatly think this belongs in the USMT N&A. Beasley is a part of the team and with leagal troubles, as stated above, he may end up missing camp or depending on the conviction, even more. This is truly team news and the analysis would come if you hadn't trolled in here and started an argument.

How does this affect the team if he is not at camp or completely left off the team?

14. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio

Is there a need to berate every thread that doesn't belong?

Report it, as you often do, and be done with it.

It'll get handled accordingly by the moderators of the forum - myself included.

15. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA

News: A USMNT player has been arrested for DUI.

Analysis: Having a player in jail may affect the USMNT.

16. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is there really a threat of jail time? I know they always say this, but when has a professional athlete actually been sent to jail for something like this?

As far as BA's approach, as was in the YA forum, this is not the same case as Dempsey and should not be compared. Dempsey's issue was a footballing issue. Beasley's is a personal issue. I'm sure BA heard about it way before we did (since it actually happened a week ago) and has dealt with it.

The only scenarios I can think of that would cause him to miss camp would be actual jail time or some sort of strict probation period where he couldn't leave. Now I don't know all the legalese of this stuff, but I don't really think (meaning I sincerely hope) it won't have a bearing on Beasley joining the team in a month.

17. XYZ123456

XYZ123456 New Member

Jun 13, 1999

Exactly

I don't have a problem with the vast majority of threads moved but this one is news worthy as it might effect the team.

18. WarriorSoccer

WarriorSoccer Member

Nov 3, 2005

Dude, calm down, it is just linking to some information about a player that could make him miss a part of our national team call up camp. There is no doubt that Beasley is going to Germany if healthy, this could affect him making it to camp on time.

There isn't anything in the rules that say this isn't supposed to be in USMNT N&A... except for your kiss of death.

I didn't mean for this to be the official thread of the situation. The people on the yanks abroad forum are great at finding foreign information and usually keep us causal fans up to date on everything. I just wanted to let the posters who may not read the yanks abroad forum aware about this news because it could affect some aspects of the US's lead-up to WC2006

19. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

since when does anyone goto jail for more than 24 hours for a first time DUI offense?

Beasley will be fine. I don't really care what he does off the field so long as he plays by the same rules as everyone else. He comitted a crime and he's being duly punished for it. Athletes are not role models. Let's just move along

20. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC

DMB is a big part of our team, and he is key to our possible success this summer. If he does have to serve jail time, this would negatively affect the team.

How do you not think this is news regarding the NATS? And, why do you care if it is in the right or wrong forum? Are you a moderator?

21. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In Holland, it could be worse. Not every country has the same set of rules.
    What is this 'let's just move along' business? If you're not interested, you move along.

22. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

because I'm sure there will be a bunch of hypocritical threads about carachter issues, should he be kicked off the team, etc.

23. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

here...never. But I guess some are saying Holland is stricter on this stuff than others. I agree with you though. Jail time is not likely. Probably a fine of some sort.

24. jefbal99

jefbal99 New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Lansing, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree it is unlikely, but I don't know the laws over there and as the possibility is there, I wanted MikeLastort to STFU cause it seemed like he was jsut trolling for an argument.

The is very much team newsworthy as all others have stated, besides MikeLastort

25. XYZ123456

XYZ123456 New Member

Jun 13, 1999

That would be great if someone wants to link the penalties for a DUI in the Netherlands.

Clear up the issue, DK can close the thread, and then Mike can get his precious forum cleaned:rolleyes: