Beasley, PSV-Twente, 12/29 [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by johan derksen, Dec 29, 2005.

1. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    touche :)

you know i like you. we just see things from different angles. That's what makes BS fun. Thanks for being a good sport. Rep on the way.

edit: ugh

somebody a little help please?

2. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    That wouldn't surprise me. Sometimes it's tough to get all the way through to DaMarcus. However, you don't always need to. He is absolutely the type of guy you can simply call out in the media and give a bit of the cold shoulder - then watch him respond.

If Hiddink is serious about DMB developing some slick 1v1 skill, then DMB will do it.

I think he will keep getting nailed to the wall until he gets it. IMO, DMB has the most overall potential ability of any of the attackers at PSV. In a line of him, Kone, and VofH, you gotta look to DMB to create the tough chances - and he's gotta be able to respond. IMO, that is the only major part of his game that is missing now.

3. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    in fact if dmb does respond and develop slick 1v1 moves, he will be all but impossible to stop with the speed and athletcism he already has. think manu's ronaldo without the showing off and selfishness.

hiddink has a rep of being able to develop young players and get more out of them than previously thought. i look forward to being able to thank him at the world cup when dmb slices thru the vaunted italy defense and carves up the czechs and ghanians.

4. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    he doesn't really have all that far to go. He already is quite good when running at guys. Over the last year he has developed the ability to go right as well as left with his shimmy/change of pace move. What he needs is only really one move to off-balance a marker from a standing start.

The ones when it's obvious to the defender that you are playing him 1v1. With his change of pace and acceleration ability, one perfected move or 2 pretty good ones will do the trick.

a mi tambien.

5. 2-0 Baby

2-0 Baby New Member

Jun 9, 2004
    CO
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As SFS said, he promotes some over others...

Beasley has improved tremendously since being at PSV (I'm sure SFS would agree ;)). I was at the qualifier against SLC and he was the smoothest, most nuanced player on the field, LD included. His change of pace and confidence on the ball was truly first class. It was like watching a player on a big European club...oh wait, that's what he is!

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    That and he needs to change directions better or cut sharper, as it were. If he's running toward a "12 o'clock" position, he'd rarely go left of "11:30" or right of "12:30". Most decent dribblers will extend their dribbling angle to at least "11 to 1". The great ones will cut even sharper. To set up that famous Jairzinho goal sequence vs. England in Mexico'70, Tostão cut 90 degrees to "9", nutmegged another defender, then ended up with the ball at "6", i.e., with his back to the goal, and made his pass to Pele while falling down backwards.

7. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Very true. It just doesn't seem so far away to me. DaMarcus just needs it clear that either he does it - or there's a problem.

8. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

he does plenty of both of these things in the psv formation, as they are not running an out-and-out offensive 4-3-3 like AZ

9. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough, as I have not seen PSV this year. Last year, I would disagree with you that it was anything other than a standard 4-3-3.

But neither Kone and Farfan are strong at defense or making midfielder runs like DMB is, so if they are his competition, I question whether the role as envisioned by Hidnik really includes these two strong DMB attributes.