Beasley, Bocanegra, Donovan: 2004 Honda Player of the Year Finalists

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Peretz48, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
  2. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I don't think anyone has meant more to the USMNT during the past few years than LD. This past year has been no different. LD should win.

3. E Diddy

E Diddy Member

Jul 1, 2003
    Hutto, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's gotta be Donovan- no question. Remember, this is about each players role on the NT, not club.

Donovan has all but been given the keys. Claudio is in his twilight, and we are honoring him accordingly. But for anyone who follows this team, this is a no-brainer.

4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Objectively, Donovan should be the selection, but history may be working against him. The NBA didn't make Michael Jordan the MVP every year, either. So I'm going with Bocanegra - an EPL guy, a hard-nosed defender, and even contribution to a few goals.

5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you say the same thing last year when Bocanegra was our most consistent player for the NT, and got robbed when it was given to Donovan? This is far from a no-brainer.

6. Zathras

Zathras Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Donovan may have been solid all year, but you've got to expect that from him. I'm going to go with Bocanegra, especially as I think he deserved it last year.

7. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Through July, Beasley had easily been the best player for the Nats this year, particularly given consistency vis-a-vis Donovan. Only strong recent performances by Donovan, Bocanegra, and frankly, Keller make this even close.

8. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bocanegra? Don't joke. Decent EPL player but has not shone for the Nats this year.

Beasley or Donovan are there for every USMNT match, usually imposing themselves. And Donovan, while playing in a weaker league, was the dominant player in that league.

Not even close.

9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, you're probably right, in reviewing the record Carlos wasn't there for several major games.

10. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    1. Donovan wasn't "the dominant player" in MLS. He wasn't even the best player on his team.

2. As mentioned a couple of posts earlier, this is about national team performances.

11. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Drop the calculator stat-boy and watch the games!

12. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Make that through the start of September ... after Jamaica scored that opening goal, it was Beasley who single-handedly resuscitated the team. He also terrorized El Salvador during the home leg of that series.

We shouldn't let a few quiet games (fatigue?) overshadow a truly outstanding year of contributions.

13. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    You are such an incredible dumbf***.

I guarantee I've seen more Quakes games than you, and it's damn obvious to anyone with half a clue that Brian Ching and Richard Mulrooney have been the team's best two players.

14. FCGalaxy1996

FCGalaxy1996 New Member

Oct 19, 2004
    LA
    Totally agree Beasely constantly causing havoc for defenders, two goals vs Grenada, was leading tally man coming into the blow out of Panama

15. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no reason to get pissy, and hes right, donovan controls those games. i mean you really think teams play SJ and say, we are going to focus on shutting down ching or mulrooney today? LD set up most of chings goals, he wouldnt be half the player without donovan.

16. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're right ... and numerista needs to go take a timeout. Ching is the player he is because landon's the player he is. It's Landon's team, even if Ching scored more goals or Mulrooney played more minutes.

17. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Thanks for the defense but it's a badge of honor to get slammed by certain people on BS.

PS: Numerista, thanks for the negative rep...I'll cherish it forever.

18. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Just to point out, I'm not the one who started the name-calling. I'm a Quakes fan and make it a point to watch every game I can, and I attend quite a few of them. When a moron like Tallavana tells me, "Watch the games!" ... well, he deserves what he gets.

Landon has occasional great games, but week in, week out, it's been Ching and Mulrooney's team. That's why they won the team's post-season awards, and Donovan didn't.

19. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Dude, if you think me calling you stat-boy is name calling, good luck with life.

20. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree and disagree with numerista. LD is the Quakes best player. He hasn't been the dominant player in the league though. Hell, he isn't even in the final 3 for MVP voting in MLS and while I don't normally give it that much weight, he doesn't deserve to be. Very good year, but I wouldn't have given him a 2nd thought for MVP even if the league had placed him on the list of final 3 for the MLS voting. On the flip side, I've not a fan of any of the club teams that the final 3 for HPOY are on. But I'm simply looking at the all-around years (with emphasis on national team play). Last year Bocanegra had the best year from start to finish. He lost to a surprised LD. This year top to bottom, Beasley had the better year. I think that LD is a better player than both of those other guys, but this shouldn't be a reward for who we think the better player is. It's the reward for the guy who consistently is better over the course of the year, regardless of talent level. Up until a 6 weeks ago or so, this was an absolute no-brainer for Beasley. 6 weeks of a good LD run does not trump the entire weight of the year that Beasley has had.

21. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I wasn't going to weigh in on this thread, but against my better judgment....

It's obviously not Donovan, because Beas and Boca went to Europe and Landon didn't, so he's not that good. :D

Wonder why Claudio Reyna isn't on this list??

[Yes, seriously stupid joke people - please, no neg rep - I DO NOT INTEND FOR THE PREVIOUS TWO COMMENTS TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY. PLEASE.]

Joking aside, I'd have to go with Beas, as he's been the most consistent throughout the year, always bringing it.

[And I refuse to get into a shouting match as between who is more valuable to the Quakes, Donovan or Ching. Ain't gonna do it.]

22. E Diddy

E Diddy Member

Jul 1, 2003
    Hutto, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't say anything last year bro- if you wanna disagree with me and sell Blackmouth then do it- I'm a fan of both, but you can't compare Donovan's role with his.

My vote is still easily for LD.

23. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 WORTHY choices. Man, what a tough decision!!

As solid & consistent as Beasley has been and as "brilliant" as Donovan has been at times, my vote goes to Bocanegra.

He has been a ROCK on defense for the USMNT, better even than Pope, which I never thought possible to be honest.

I like all three players but IMHO Bocanegra has been the POTY for the USMNT & deserves the accolades!!

24. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Before analyzing the choices, it's important to remember the criteria. I think that the Honda Player of the Year Award goes to the individual with the best performances in 2004 with the USMNT. The discussion about Donovan's role with the Quakes is therefore irrelevant here. Also, not only is there an MLS MVP, but later on there's also the Chevrolet Player of The Year, where the criteria is a bit different. (Someone correct me on this, but I think the Chevy Award requires the winner to have positively represented soccer on and off the field, and I think that his overall performances, both for club and country, are counted.)

And this is NOT a career assessment award. If that were the case, it would be a no-brainer (thus far in their careers)---Landon Donovan. As for 2004, I actually think the vote will, and should be, closer than most believe. I kinda like the idea of Beasley. First, getting back to LD, some voters might be hesitant to go with the trifecta. I know, in an ideal world the purity of the performances is what counts. But voters do consider these tangential issues. Beas has been the motor that keeps the attack moving. With all due respect to LD (and there's a LOT OF RESPECT there), I just have that gut feeling that it's Beasley's time. As for Boca, very deserving, but I just think Beasley's done enough to outweigh a very solid year for Boca.

25. Bryan Gividen

Bryan Gividen New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Provo, UT (BYU)
    This year I wouldn't consider Bocanegra.

And it is a tale of two halves. Either Beasely in the first half of the year of Donovan in the second.

Donovan has been putting up some fat performances in qualifying, I take him.

As a side note: Bocanegra was !ROBBED! last year. I would NOT mind Donovan getting robbed this year in the name of Boca!