BBC edits out the word terrorist

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by BenReilly, Jul 12, 2005.

1. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Not that I care either way, but "bombing" is a physical action that, on its own, does not involve any values. "Terrorizing" tells us less about the action than the intent. I think we can all agree that indiscriminate bombing of civilians is terrorizing, I can certainly see why the distinction is made, and we're not exactly letting the perpetrators off the hook by calling them bombers.

"Bomber" is straightforward. "Terrorist" makes assumptions (however accurate) about the intent of the bombers and the innocence of the victims. I guess one tortured comparison is making a distinction between a "murderer" and a "shooter".

Like Matt said, it's not so much PC as it is anal.

2. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Apparently, they forgot this rule for a day or two.

3. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Hardly surprising ... plus, of course, it's a general rule, for which application parameters must filter through whatever event is being covered, a process of adjustment that probably always takes a period of time.

Nailed it.

4. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Terrorist is a Terrorist, whether they're Muslim, Jewish, Christian, or other.

5. DynamoKiev_USA

DynamoKiev_USA New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hurricane Dennis is described by the Beeb as a directed movement of air particles at what some US administration officials believe to be "accelerated speed".

6. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never heard of a Jew or Christian, orthodox or no, being denoted as a "terrorist" but if you list a few it might help your case... or not~!

7. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    There is nothing wrong with your computer. Do not adjust your screen. IntheNet really is this stupid. Repeat. There is nothing wrong with your computer. This is not a technical difficulty, but rather standard issue idiocy from IntheNet. There is no need to contact Technical Support

8. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dr. Wankler again.

Have to fix that little BigSoccer error menu!

9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  10. Mikeshi

Mikeshi New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    Jasper,Ga
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Irish Catholics as members of the IRA trying to expel British rule in N. Ireland by attacking civilian and military targets.
    Jews(Menachem Begin/Abraham Tehomi) attempting to liberate Palestine from the British were called terrorists.
    Serbian Orthodox Christians attacking Moslems in Kosovo and Catholics in Croatia.
    Christian Klan members terrorizing mainly blacks with violence and intimidation.

11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Oh, man. I was waiting to tell him to look up the King David Hotel Bombing in Jerusalem (what was that, '46, '48?), then mention a few other things. Now you probably scared him off and killed the thread.

Which, now that I think about it, is a good thing. Rep coming.

12. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    LOL!

13. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently you've never heard of the IRA, KKK, or all those psychotic neo-con's that are firebombing abortion clinics and kidnapping/killing abortion clinic workers.

14. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

Please research "The Stern Gang" and the "Irgun"

Fvckwit

15. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm shocked Mel Brennan has not weighed in on this subject.

16. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I understand the piont. But I fail to see how "terrorist" is biased and "bomber" isn't. Yes, it's a bomber. But how is the bombing that was carried out not an act of terrorism? It doesn't appear to have been an act of war carried out by a foreign power. The same with the idea of intent. What intent can there be that wouldn't fall under the broad realm of terrorism nor be an act of war by a foriegn power?

17. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

I guess I think of it almost as a courtroom case.

A witness can refer to a person as a 'bomber' (ie, they left behind a bomb at the scene), but there would probably be an objection if the witness referred to the same person as a 'terrorist' (objection - the witness presupposes intention on my client!).

Words carry power, and shape the way we view things. By striving for neutrality/facts, the BBC looks to be as apolitical as possible, and stay far away from the slippery slope. Let the viewers/listeners form their conclusions - there is no need to lead people to conclusions. That's what talking heads/commentators are for.

18. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    How many abortion clinics have been bombed? You are claiming that there are alot or abortion clinics which are under attack. Where is the proof? Stop exagerating(sp). When there is an abortion clinic bombed, mostpeople in the pro-life movement are quick to condemn the heinous act. Frankly, most pro-lifers realize the damage bombing clinics does to their cause. I always feel when listening to Muslim leaders that their response to terrorism is forced.

19. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As opposed to killing babies inside huh? Exactly how many abortion clinics have been fire bombed/clinic workers killed, as opposed to babies murdered by abortion?

20. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Abortion is legal. Firebombing clinics and murdering doctors is not. It's really easy to understand.

Oh and let's not forget Timothy McVeigh. A nice homegrown terrorist.

21. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    You conveniently failed to comment on the IRA and the KKK. Do you consider them terrorists?

22. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Not by today's strict definition of terrorist.

23. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Reporting facts. How novel.

24. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    What is your definition?

25. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member