Bayern Munich Transfer Update thread part 2

Discussion in 'Bayern Munich' started by MikeLastort2, Jul 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Continue transfer discussions in this thread

2. DemmahoM

DemmahoM Member

Apr 1, 2005
    New Haven CT
    Club:
    --other--
    Any one else think we need another backup defender?

Lucio and Ismael are our only good sweepers while Demichiles isn't that good, (remmember the Nurnberg game?)

Any suggestions on who should be get?

3. eissman

eissman Member+

Feb 5, 2004
    Illinois
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For true backs, so far we have:

Ismael
    Lucio
    Sagnol
    Lizarazu
    Rau
    Gorlitz (coming off injury)
    Lahm (out til December?)
    Ottl ("trying out" -- listed as a midfielder, however)

--------------------------(others who can play)------------------------

Demichelis (center)
    Brazzo (left/right)
    Hargreaves (left/right)

So your point about only having two center backs is a good one. I think this is a serious point to consider. It is the same as having only two quality strikers fit (Makaay, Pizarro) during our CLS campaign with Chelsea and Arsenal... we don't need that situatio in the back, trust me!!

One more signing would be ideal.

4. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    I think another center back would be ideal. I wonder if Magath is going to be switching Demichelis from DM spot to CB in case of injuries?

5. DemmahoM

DemmahoM Member

Apr 1, 2005
    New Haven CT
    Club:
    --other--

Demi was pretty bad when he played against Nurnberg..

I wouldn't mind getting Mertesacker...

6. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Well..I think it would be only if one of main cb's was injured. And to give Demi a little benefit...he wasn't used much until later in the season.

7. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not to mention with Kahn. This doesn't really look like "a Bayern move" to me. More like a "Bild" rumor.

Let's see how this turns out.

8. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    No more worrying about Ballack moving to Liverpool, Gerrard is staying.

9. scorpio81

scorpio81 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i think demichelis is actually quite decent @ CB... one youth player promoted to central defense would do it for me, personally...

that way, we would have four centre backs in the squad... perfect!

10. mcweiss

mcweiss Member

Sep 8, 2003
    LI, New York
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That was his only bad game...most of the other occasions at CB or DM his play was outstanding...

Everyone is allowed to have an off game during the season.

11. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I wouldn't mind Demichelles moving to CB if Ismael or Lucio are out but its too sudden a move I think for him to properly and effectively adjust, therefore I am a tad worried but Magath will figure something out, he always does.

I really wanted Bayern to make a move for Huth some time back but that went nowhere and after the Confederations Cup, I saw that Mertesacker was a better defender than Huth, making less mistakes and taking less risks, which is a good thing.

Ottl is listed as a midfielder on the Bayern site but he can play defense as well, he played defense in the U-20 World Tournament and was quite impressive actually.

So we have Lucio and Ismael starting with Ottl and Demichelles there to back them up if necessary. Hargreaves would fill in DM if needed. Also, Ballack could move back there and play behind Scholl. Similar to the role he played at Leverkusen.

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez
    I was a little perplexed by this as I thought he was a defender rather than a defensive midfielder as listed on the Bayern roster and the comments the Bayern media have made of him.

13. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Yea, I guess he is just a very versatile player and can play in midfield and defense like Demichelles which is great and fits our current circumstances.

14. scorpio81

scorpio81 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    the problem is that he does not play in the centre - either in midfield OR defense... he plays on the Left side of either, i think...

i thought we were talking about central defenders and the lack, thereof... we need one of the kids promoted from the youth setup in that position... i think germanshephard mentioned some guy called niedermayer, once...

15. Germanshepherd

Germanshepherd New Member

May 19, 2003
    Rostock, Deutschland
    Yes, it was Niedermeier, and Rummenigge mentioned him. He was asked about new players for this season and he said Magath looks forward to include young players, like Niedermeier and Ottl. Ottl seems to be there now, maybe Niedermeier will get a chance, too. He is a CB, I think.

16. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that are defense will be fine when Lahm is healthy. We should be pretty strong with SAGNOL and LAHM on the outside backfield, and LUCIO and ISMAEL in the center. Demichelis, Lizarazu, and Ottl could be pretty good subs, but until Lahm is healthy we need another good defender. I think that if we went after VFB's Hinkel that would be pretty good because he is very fast unlike Huth, and VFB basically gave away Kuranyi so they cant be to serious about competing next season otherwise they would of kept him. Mertesacker would be a pretty good pickup as well. I just think Huth needs a little bit more time to mature on the field, he makes some foolish mistakes at times in the box. Hinkel, Mertesacker, and Huth are all pretty young so they would be good pickups.

17. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two things that I had forgotten to touch on.
    1) Ballack is too good to transfer him this offseason when you can use him this coming season and if he likes it he make actually stay even though he is talking about leaving a lot on SKY SPORTS (UK) website.
    2) Also a point to ponder on the Poldi front, Podolski's contract with Koln doesnt end until 07 i believe, that would make him 22 and more than likely two more years experienced in good football if Koln stays in first league which is more than likely with Poldi. Anyways I said he would be 22 at end of his contract this is key because Makaay's contract ends in 07 and he will be 32 I believe. So since Makaay is older than Pizarro I think that in 07 if Bayern is patient everything can work out as planned, or Bayern could just rush Koln and try and get him sooner than 07.
    3) What will Bayern do with other strikers, like right now Santa Cruz I though could go on loan to Berlin for a year or two, that would be perfect because he could get first team experience and could possibly be paired up with Poldolski if they both play for bayern. Or what about Guerrero he is promising as well? Either way Cruz and Guerrero atleast need a shot at first team experience and probably wont get what they need at bayern right now. I know you cant really get rid of both, but in the future just wonderin

18. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Well. skysports likes to play up disharmony. If Ballack does not sign an extension he WILL be gone this summer..No way Bayern let him go on a free transfer. Simple as that. Ballack has a lot of bargaining power right now..but he better make up his mind soon.

19. Locke13

Locke13 New Member

May 14, 2004
    Centerport, LI, NY
    I could see Ballack going to either Real Madrid, Juventus, or Manchester United. Real are probably the most likely, as they have expressed the most interest. However, they don't really need Ballack. They have a packed midfield, and if they get Robinho, they will have Owen, Robinho, Ronaldo, and Raul, which may prompt them to play three strikers. That would leave no real room for Ballack on the team.

Juventus really could use a quality midfielder to partner Emerson in the middle. Camerenasi is alright, but I think Juventus would jump at getting a world class central midfielder.

Man U seem to be interested (their website has said that Ferguson is an admirer, and he has been linked several times), but only time will tell how much money will be available for transfers after the Glazer thing.

I'm really hoping Ballack ties himself down to Bayern for the rest of his career. Sky Sports makes the most out of even the most tame quotes. Michael has seemed to settle into Bayern really well now, and he has become the center of the team. I think it would take time for the team to recover from losing him. There is no simple replacement for a guy liike him. Even if it means raising his wages (drastically), Bayern should do everything they can to keep him.

20. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Everyone thought Gerrard would leave, I knew he would stay even when he said he will leave...

Ballack will be staying also.

21. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope Ballack will stay. He can go play in Spain, WHEN BAYERN IS IN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE against Real or Barca!!!!!!! I think the success of Bayern rests on Balla's shoulders. He is one of the best footballers in all Europe/World. With how much all around he contributes to Bayern he is needed there more than anywhere else. On the field, off the field leadership, just flat out talent and skills on the field, and he is presently the face of German football. There is probably a few things I didnt mention that he contributes to Bayern that I had forgotten to mention, but I just think he makes or breaks the next couple of seasons. I am not saying Bayern will drop off the planet but will not have very much success in Champions League.

22. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. mofo4life

mofo4life Member

May 25, 2004
    near munich
    he looks good in that red shirt. :D

24. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  25. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's almost inevitable!!! I can't deny that! ;)