Bayer Leverkeusen Questions

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Catfish, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Are they related to the Bayer aspirin company? Didn't Bayer help the Nazis?

Just curious.

2. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The club is owned by the Bayer Chemical company, however the chem company no longer provides money for the club.

As for your second question, so did Mercedes Benz and a host of other German companies.

3. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Absolutely true. You won't find any major company (or club) that existed in the third Reich that did not officialy support the NSDAP (and if only because of opportunistic reasons). People like Oskar Schindler were very rare, it's sad but true.

4. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if they had any real choice in the matter anyway.

5. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I knew that...

about Mercedes, BMW and others. What else were they going to do? The German economy was complete doo doo and people needed jobs and money to live...trust me I'm not excusing them at all. I'm 1/4 German...also adopted with German last name...Kaehler and Mattes....I have been told they are German Surnames.

Did football completely cease during both WWI and WWII?

6. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, they didn't have a choice.

---
    dump Arsenal and you'll be fine :D

7. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    The German industry made giant profits with millions of slave workers that had to live in inhumane conditions (a fact which they like to ignore today as it seems). I am sure those poor factory owners were very unhappy about all the money they were forced to earn from the government (excuse the sarcasm here).

As for the questions if soccer stopped due to the war:
    WWI: yes
    WWII: no, because of propaganda reasons it was played until the 1944/45 season (but mostly on a very, very low level of play).

8. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thanks Alex for your honesty.

Funny how many German-Americans down play the Nazis and the Holocaust, like it wasn't that bad. But actual Germans seem to be more realistic about the past. Trust me the US is not a nation free of guilt either...remember that little thing called slavery that lasted 265 yrs AND us just about exterminating Native Americans!!!