Battlefield 3

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by NORML, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kind of agree with you, since they are spending their money, but then there should be an option on the server-side to allow/deny certain weapons.

On the flip side, shotguns are pretty much useless in large, wide-open maps, as they're more apropos for close-quarter combat. Same goes with claymores. To say you can't use them in those game types is lame. To kick someone off your server, only to find out after the fact that you've been booted because of this unwritten rule, is lamer.

But, whatever ... I'm trying to hit some of the assignments (Life Saver, Set Us Up the Bomb, Point Blank), which is currently taking me away from my beloved M1014 anyway.

2. welchmen22

welchmen22 New Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I've felt the same way about the ability to deny certain weapons, mostly because I would love to play a pistols only match or pistols and rockets. Anyone remember the GoldenEye?

I wanted to try it out last night with the new patch but for some reason played the SP campain instead. I had heard it was awful but I'm slowly finishing it anyway. I just finished the mision in the F-18 and it was awful.

3. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I jump into a few games of Gun Master to get my handgun fix. I usually do well enough with the first 2 guns, but when I get to the .44 Magnum my game comes to a screeching halt. If I make it out of the shottie levels it's just short of a miracle.

What did the new patch do? Other than some minor balancing issues and reload/animation syncing (from what I've read), I guess it's just prepping for the Armored Kill DLC to go live on Tuesday?

4. FCBayernDM

FCBayernDM Member

May 13, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I only played GM for the one Assignment, really don't like it tho.
    I think that's about it, it just introduced the new assignments for Premium members and added the Armored Kill maps to the Map selection Menu.

AK has been available on PS3 since Sept 4, and it's pretty cool. Maps are enormous, the new vehicles are pretty cool but they feel empty with only 24 people.

5. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I've been getting my AK fix by watching live streams on TwitchTV. Similar to when I started playing Gun Master, I feel like I'm familiar with the maps before I actually get to play them.

6. welchmen22

welchmen22 New Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The new patch tweeked most of the weapons made some more powerful made others less, changed recoils and things like that. I felt that shotguns were way overpowered for a while, its taking them a long time but they are finding some balance.

I have enjoyed the gun game, I like that everyone gets the same thing.

7. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read that the latest patch (or maybe the one before) also dramatically lowered the points required to unlock new weapons, etc through the co-op mode.

So Armored Kill comes out today for Xbox premium members, of which I am one, two weeks earlier than the "regular" folks. I saw some servers running it last night after looking through the server filter and seeing the "AK" maps listed. Couldn't get into them because I hadn't "downloaded" the required DLC; I know I did, it just hadn't been made active yet. Can't wait to check it out.

-EDIT-

God, I suck at Armored Kill ...

But, I will tell you this, playing rush as attackers on Alborz Mountains is awesome, as is rush as defenders on Bandar Desert. Definitely gives you the true large-scale war feel that earlier BF games succeeded at.

-EDIT 2-

Maybe "suck" was a bit of an exaggeration. Man, I love playing the Tank Superiority mode.

8. welchmen22

welchmen22 New Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Anyone played Armored Kill on console? I've been reading mixed reviews, is it too big for 24 players?

9. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as you're in a vehicle it's not too big. But if you happen to spawn and there are no vehicles around, and you decide to hoof it, the maps do feel enormous.

That's why I like Tank Superiority mode so much. Plenty of vehicles to go around, and with only one flag the maps are scaled down, so if you're forced to be on-foot it's not too bad. Plus, the opposition tends to be too focused on other mechanized vehicles, so an engineer deft with the RPG can really kick some a$$.

10. welchmen22

welchmen22 New Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I forgot to try the TS mode, I have been enjoying it so far. I like the variety BF3 has going now, small medium and large maps and lots of different modes. I pre-ordered Black Ops 2 but unless the Zombie mode is worth it I will probably cancel that.

11. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seen the "Aftermath" DLC teaser yet?

12. welchmen22

welchmen22 New Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yeah, it looks good I wish now I had just sucked it up and got premium. Looks like I'm going to end up getting all the DLC anyway.

13. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I can no longer log in to online play on my PS3 as of today.

The issue started when my nephew hooked up his PS3 here in my house and was playing online with his account. he has his own game, his own system and his own account. Now, when I start mine and it just acts like it is loading, loading, loading... Is it an IP issue? I have switched his PS off and I can sign in and watch Netflix and have verified that the internet works by running the test.

I start up and everything seems ok. but when I try to go to mutiplayer, co-op or my soldier it just freezes. You still hear the noise but I cant do anything except hold down the ps3 button and quit.

The part that sucks is...his does work.

Anyone else having this issue?

14. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. welchmen22

welchmen22 New Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Are you using wifi or a lan? Try checking out the Neowin forums http://www.neowin.net/forum/ lots of tech savy guys there.

16. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thanks, man...I actually went to BF3 forum and many had the isue. It was a server that was being worked on. The system was back up within a few hours.

17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard to believe it's been so long since I played BF3. Right before Hurricane Sandy put my house out of commission I guess. Fired it up last night and played a few rounds of Scavenger, on maps I've never played before.

For those who don't know, the maps are all in the aftermath of some major disaster, so craters, demolished buildings, and the like are the norm. You only start out with a pistol, and need to scavenge - hence the gametype name - for more powerful weapons to give you and your teammates the edge. It's basically a non-vehicular game, more like Conquest Domination, where you need to control (up to) 5 flags to bleed the opponents' tickets.

It was a blast, and helped me get all warmed up for BF4 next week.

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm currently about 3/4 of the way through the BF3 single-player campaign on my PC. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it by the time BF4 is released this coming Tuesday.

-G