News: Bassett turns down Benfica to play for MLS Cup

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Aug 31, 2021.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 JasonMa, Aug 31, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    Yeah, this seemed to warrant its own thread. MLSsoccer.com reporting that Bassett turned down a club record transfer to Benfica to stay and play for a MLS Cup, with plans to move this winter.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/sour...ects-move-to-benfica-in-order-to-finish-mls-s

EDIT: Further reporting is that the deal was to train with Benfica's first team but play for Benfica B, which makes his refusal a little more understandable.

AlbertCamus, SccrDon, COMtnGuy and 3 others repped this.
  2. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Thank you for the update, Jason.

JasonMa repped this.
  3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well done by Bassett. It’s a slap in the face to play for Benfica B while training with the 1st team. He is an established player with 60+ First Division games in MLS. He is above the Portuguese 2nd Division with Benfica B. It took some stones to say no and I commend him for that. Other clubs must be in the pipeline. I’m curious to know how Benfica took it. Does interest fade or is he still in their sights?

edit:

helps to read the article…. It clearly answers my question. :D

Sports Yak and JasonMa repped this.
  4. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    So the transfer fee would be something over $2 million. I wonder how much more?

I feel strongly that when players that have gone through the Rapids' DA and first team, when they transfer to Europe, it better be for first team time. ANd in a position to succeed.

It will be interesting to see where Cole ends up.

5. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I think this bit of news ties everything together as of late…

The “lack of offers”
    The overcompensating in games
    Etc

Honestly, I applaud Cole for wanting to stay and help the team this season. That’s not something you’re normally gonna see when a player gets an offer to go to Europe. Yes I’m sure playing for the B side while training with the A squad helped the decision a bit - but after seeing your squadmate Vines go, and you’ve got a deal that’s even bigger than that? Still not easy to do, and something that’s not seen very often.

Props to Bassett on this. Loyalty speaks volumes

m vann and JasonMa repped this.
  6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really though, the Portuguese second division is a step down from MLS. If Benfica said "we want you but we won't have room for you this season so you'll be playing with the B squad" then maybe Bassett sucks it up for a season. But if Benfica didn't even give him a timetable as to when he could make the first-team I can see passing on it. Its a better long-term strategy to play in a better league (MLS) than to waste time not improving. Also, if Benfica wasn't thinking about using him right away, why not buy him when the MLS window was open and loan him back to the Rapids?

7. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Or do what Club Brugge did with Tajon Buchanan and New England. Complete the purchase now with Bassett moving at the end of the season. Even that would’ve been better than this deal.

Either way, Bassett still said to himself “I can’t leave the team and take a ‘step down’ even with the payday. Can’t do that to my Rapids fam”

Quinn 33 and JasonMa repped this.
  8. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing but mad respect for Bassett here.

TheWarmBurger and JasonMa repped this.
  9. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Explains why he's been pressing...

10. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    COMtnGuy, JasonMa and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just coming here to post that link

12. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Having read the Burgundy Wave piece on the proposed transfer, it's great that Bassett feels he's better than Benfica's B squad. Sounds like he won't accept an offer that doesn't include first team time regardless of where.

13. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad he stayed, he cleared has skill/ talent. I personally would like to see him get more physical out there. Opposition seems to easily push him around.
    Maybe he can spend time with Acosta this 2nd half and learn to play with an edge out there (he can skip all the talking to refs piece)