Baseball may bring team to New Jersey/the Meadowlands

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by FlashMan, Jul 28, 2002.

1. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm listening to late night sports radio and that's what the guy said, based on an article coming out in Sunday's New York Post. It's a bargaining chip in the current baseball negotations. They might move the Marlins there. I didn't really get any more details but I'm sure the link will be up soon for you guys on the East Coast.

The Metros may play in Rochester after all!!! :)

2. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how well a NJ team would do. We already have the Mets and Yankees. Jersey makes up a lot of both teams fan bases. I think it'd be a tough sell. Plus you look at the NJ Devils who have attendance problems because of the Meadowlands. Traffic there is terrible. So I think an upstart baseball team wouldn't really draw much.

3. PhilipReed

PhilipReed New Member

Jul 12, 1999
    WMass
    Wouldn't the Yankees and Mets get a veto of anything moving in on their territority? As i understood it this is even an item that has to be negotiated with Angelos (Baltimore) about moving a team to Washington, an hour away. I can't imagine that Steinbrenner wouldn't get an effective veto over this like he has an effective veto over everything else that might save that sport....

4. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Mets and Yankees would be well paid to allow another team into the area. Likewise for the Orioles.

The team would be well-supported. Baseball fans in the NYC area could support 5 MLB teams. The history of success of baseball in NYC has developed a very large fandom. Parents will take kids to baseball games, business reps will take their clients to baseball games, etc, and they will take them to the closest ballpark. Why shlep over the GWB if you don't have to?

The reason I don't expect it to happen is that baseball does not do anything that is intelligent. They would rather have a team in Montreal than in Brooklyn.

5. counterattack

counterattack New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Ironic, isn't it?

Because baseball's culture is ruled by the big Media, the average fan doesn't have a decent on-line forum to vent, so ironically, some of the best Baseball talk ends up here in BigSoccer.

This is easy. After the strike and the massive contraction that is coming, MLB Baseball will end up where it already is, namely a regional professional sport followed in some parts of the US and Canada, much like Hockey used to be. So, there may be as many as 4 teams in the New York area. (Yanks, Mets, a NJ team and one on Long Island) There will be a National League team in Boston. There will be a team in DC, a 3rd Team in the LA Basin, probably the new city of San Fernado Valley, and so-on. All being teams moved from defunct cities. That is how they will try to not bankrupt their buddy owners, and still maintain the illusion of a National sport. That all noted...WHO CARES? Isn't this a Soccer forum?

6. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    This Saturday I went to see the Mets for the first time ever at Shea. I only went cause I was a REDS fan growing up and wanted to check them out.
    Had to be the most boring game I have ever witnessed. We left after 9 with the score 1x1.
    I sat there wondering how the US media and public have the balls to say soccer is slow and boring. It was painful to sit there. Basicly the only way to survive a baseball game and pass time is to talk with your friends and later walk around the stadium to get a look at different angles. Maybe thats why its called the national passtime. The game was slow, boring, very litlle atleticism was going on (outfieldrs on their knee waiting for action, coaches talking to pitchers,ZZZzz).
    By the Top of the fifth I had calculated that a soccer game would be ending at that moment. That was probably my last MLB game I will ever attend and this coming from a guy that hit his peak of baseball fanatisism from 92 to 96 when I was really into it for some odd reason (maybe no MLS?)

7. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry about your first time out at Shea. It's too bad you couldn't have been to a more exciting game cuz when the crowd is pumped, you get pumped with them. But yeah, I've been a part of some pretty slow baseball games but Saturday's was one of the slowest I've seen.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the Yankees could interfere, but since whenever the subject of sharing the Yankees' local TV revenue, George talks about the sacred free market, he would never be so hypocritical as to disturb the Marlins' use of that free market.

9. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Re: Ironic, isn't it?

Dude, National League team in Boston? Where the hell would they play? They can't/won't solve what to do with Fenway until 2110 with the political climate, never mind bring in another team.

10. counterattack

counterattack New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Re: Re: Ironic, isn't it?

Believe it or not, at the old/new Fenway. It has been done many times before, 2 baseball teams in the same stadium. DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE GREED OF BASEBALL OWNERS.
    You do so at your own peril,
    Dude.

11. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC
    It used to be the case that all MLB teams had a veto right over any team from the same league moving within 50 miles. Thus, Angelos had a veto right on an American League team moving to DC... he never has had any right to stop a National League team.

Two years ago, baseball consolidated the American and National League offices into one MLB office. My understanding is that this reorganization of the league offices ended the same-league veto power that individual owners had. Thus, technically, neither the Yankees or Mets could stop a team from moving.

In any event, moving any team requires approval of 3/4 of the owners, so nothing would ever happen if the adversely-affected owners were not compensated.

More importantly, how could baseball be played at the Meadowlands? The seats on the sideline are not removable as far as I know, so there is little chance of this happening.

12. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they would build a baseball stadium at the complex and leave the football stadium as it is.

13. thurd

thurd New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Melrose, MA
    ya, but do you really think yankee and mets fan would leave their teams they support now? GO SOX

14. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Re: Re: Re: Ironic, isn't it?

First of all, the Red Sox own Fenway, so no team could play there unless the Red Sox wanted them there.

Second, the Red Sox will not willingly allow another team to compete with them in the same ballpark. Even though it is possible both teams could survive at the gate, having a second team in your market decreases the amount for which you can sell you local TV broadcast rights.

Thus, there is NO chance that a second team will ever play in Boston in the same ballpark as the Red Sox. In fact, this will never happen in any city. You're right about never underestimating the greed of baseball owners... but this is precisely why your prediction of having additional teams moving to already taken markets is highly unlikely.

By the way, having two teams playing in the same stadium has not been done "many times before." It has only been done either (i) before teams sold television rights or (ii) when teams needed temporary homes while their ballparks were being renovated. Even when three teams played in NY, they each had their own ballpark.

15. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC
    If it were for an expansion team, that could certainly happen. However if we're talking about moving the Marlins, they would need a place to play now. There's no way that a team is going to play as a lame-duck in a city for 5 years while its new stadium gets built in another city.

16. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    Having a third baseball team in the NYC area might be a workable thing, but I think that the DC area or the Carolina's will be first before the NYC area sees another team.

17. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, the reason I posted this initially is because I thought when the radio guy said "the Meadowlands" I thought he meant where the Metros play, and therefore with a conflict with baseball the Metros may have to move somewhere. But if the stands don't move they couldn't convert it to a baseball friendly ballpark so I guess I was mistaken.

18. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    What I saw in the NY Daily News is that former baseball commish, Bowie Kuhn, suggested that a team could move to the Meadowlands. Kuhn lives in North Jersey.

As someone mentioned, a baseball stadium would have to be built. Right now they're debating what to do with the Continental Airlines Arena. The Yankees/Nets organization wants a new arena in Newark but NJ legislators are rightly balking at building George Steinbrenner a new arena in these economic times. It's all part of his YES tv network. All talk of moving the Nets & Devils out if an arena is not built is silly. The tv network depends on them being in the area. But I guess anything is possible at this point.

The Metros are looking to build their soccer stadium in Harrison which is right next to Newark and its large Portugese/Brazilian/Latino population. The Metros want state funding along with the Yankees/Nets so their plans are on hold as well.