Baseball commentator on Jack, Ty, & Co.

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by salange, Aug 11, 2002.

1. salange

salange Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Atlanta
    http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/3940025p-4965531c.html

Here's an article on my favorite baseball broadcaster, Jon Miller. It talks briefly about his interest in soccer. The highlight:

"I would like to do it because the English-language broadcasters of the World Cup just irritate me ... The way they call a game is just crap," he said.

I guess he isn't big on climbing the ladder...

2. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    so he is referring to the US english broadcast

not the english english broadcast

in which case, he is essentially correct... nothing new there

3. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i should add that i have listened to jon miller do baseball on espn... i do not want him doing anything... he is even worse than jack

i had to turn the volume down... he was paired with joe morgan, who is a pompous arse

good lord almight i wanted to kill them... they are ************ing morons

4. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I hope he gets a chance. The more competition for everyone, the better everyone will become.

Sachin

5. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    aye, if you put it like that... then ya... but i still hate him for baseball

6. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think his baseball style would translate well into soccer... but he's very good at what he does.

I can't imagine he'd be worse than Jack Edwards. At least Miller is eloquent without sounding rehearsed, and he speaks with an air of confidence.

Instead of baseball, the place that would be more likely to produce a good US soccer announcer would be basketball.

7. tedwar

tedwar Member

Jun 24, 1999
    Richmond, CA-EastBay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miller was the broadcaster for the original Quakes in the NASL.

Tony

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's an outstanding baseball announcer, but in large part, that's due to his "even keel" approach, which fits baseball. I don't know that it would fit soccer.

But he's a bright guy, he likes the game, and he's done it before.

I can't imagine he wouldn't be an improvement over Jack (and I'm not really a Jack basher.)

He may be as good as we could hope for at this juncture in soccer's US development.

9. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I had no idea Jon Miller tried to do games in '94...

He's told some pretty funny stories about his time with the Earthquakes on the air before. I really, really like Jon Miller, I wish he could do some games for Germany '06, although I'm sure his Baseball schedule during that time wouldn't allow it...oh well.

-Adam

10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    QUOTE]Originally posted by superdave
    He's an outstanding baseball announcer, but in large part, that's due to his "even keel" approach, which fits baseball. I don't know that it would fit soccer.

But he's a bright guy, he likes the game, and he's done it before.
    [/QUOTE]

I think he would be like the good English commentators, who speak in a rather even tone... until there's a great play, and then they get excited a bit. Sort of like Miller does on baseball telecasts.

Don't quite know who would be the soccer-equivalent of Joe Morgan, though.

11. deedougie

deedougie Member

Jul 5, 2000
    OAK,CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let him speak!

Maybe if MLB goes on strike, Jon Miller might be able to broadcast a MLS game for ESPN, especiall considering he has already broadcast soccer for the NASL back in the 70's. He won't have much to do otherwise during the strike.

Im a big Miller fan. I used to watch and listen to SF Giants baseball broadcasts when I worked evenings and Miller along with color comentator Mike Kurkow are a good combo. Even in the most boring game they keep it interesting telling little stories or just their banter.

Having listened to Jack Edwards during his little league coverage I think he actually is a better annoncer for that sport then "LAND OF THE FREE, HOME OF THE BRAVE!" soccer.

12. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I did not know that.

13. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Ty Keough

14. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A guy who would be a great soccer announcer if he had the desire to do so: Greg Pappa.

Pappa currently is the voice of the Oakland Raiders and the A's. He used to be the voice of the Golden State Warriors, then the San Antonio Spurs.

He's just a pleasure to listen to -- makes every game exciting, or at least entertaining, without coming off like the typical blow-dry ESPN clone.

And is it a coincidence? Every team he announces does well. Even the Warriors were exciting and in the playoffs when Pappa was announcing. Then he moved to the Spurs and they won the NBA championship. The Warriors have been cellar-dwellers ever since. And the A's and Raiders have had dramatic turnarounds since Pappa has been their voice. Hmmmm...

15. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absofreakinlutely agree!!

Greg Papa and Jon Miller are two of the best local guys the Bay Area has ever had... and that includes the like sof Lon Simmons, Bill King, Hank Greenwald, among others.

I remember vividly hearing Miller calling games of the NASL's 'Quakes on 1500-KXRX back in the 1974-78 period, and I look forward to listening to webcasts of Raider games just to hear Papa's calls again.

Dammit, you guys are making me homesick. :eek:

Cheers,
    William

16. dmercer

dmercer New Member

Mar 2, 1999
    Santa Fe, NM
    I vaguely remember Miller doing some games and recall him being pretty good (I was young at the time, so don't hold me to that).

His style is almost ideal, I think. As someone said above, he's the American equivalent stylew-wise of some of the better English broadcasters.