Baros said he'll be back next week.

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by bjb7223, Nov 30, 2004.

1. bjb7223

bjb7223 New Member

May 29, 2004
    Florida
  2. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    yeah,we do realy need him!!!!but for the clash against olypiacos,im more worried about the defence!!!!!IF they manage to score 1 goal,we would have to score 3 to qualify ahead of olympiacos!!!(but if monaco dont win there next match,we would just have to win to get trough!!)

3. bjb7223

bjb7223 New Member

May 29, 2004
    Florida
    i thought we needed 2-0

4. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    i mean, a 2-0 would be great ,but we can qualify with a 1-0 win!!!In the champion league,if 2 teams are equal in points,they see the result bteween the teams,and if they are the same,the see the goal diference!If we win 1-0 ,overall with Olymp we will be 1-1,and with a 1-0 win we would have a better goal diference!!

Possible results:-
    1-0 ,2-0 ,3-1,4-2 ,5-3,6-4,etc!

5. SuperElf

SuperElf Member

Jul 16, 1999
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bad news is, you're wrong. The good news is, you're only 90% wrong.

In trying to figure out the source of your misunderstanding, I ran through the math again, and I'm not so sure about this "we need two goals" business so long as we win 1-0.

Here are the tiebreakers, accoring to my understanding:

1 - Points in the matches between tying teams (we would each have 3)
    2 - Goal difference in the matches between tying teams (we would have each won our game 1-0, so still level)
    3 - Away goals scored in the matches between tying teams (on this rule, Olympiakos would go through in all matches where we don't win by two EXCEPT a 1-0 result)
    4 - Goal difference in all matches (with a 1-0 win, we both have 4GF and 2GA)
    5 - Goals scored in all matches (4 a piece)
    6 - Five year coefficients (so it comes down to this - I Googled this and came up with jack squat, so all I can go with are the coefficients used in seeding, where we had 90.510 and they had 40.467, whatever that means)

Can anyone with better knowledge tell me whether or not this is bunk? I had readily accepted the "we must win by 2" line, but never did the math myself . . .

6. youllneverwalkalone

Apr 3, 2003
    Houston
    It said on the LFC site that we could go through with a 1-0 win, but i'm too lazy to try and figure it all out. I say we win by at least 2 just to make sure.

7. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, Olympiakos currently has 4GF and 2GA (+2) with LFC at 3GF and 2 GA (+1). Therefore a 1-0 LFC win leaves Olympiakos at 4GF and 3GA (+1) and LFC at 4GF and 2 GA (+2).

So there'd be no need for the five year coefficient tie-breaker in the event of a 1-0 LFC win.

8. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Yeap!your right Flying Weasel!Super elf,this is what i ment.right now they are +2,while liverpool are +1!!If we win by 1-0 ,they will end up with +1 and we will end up with +2,so we would qualify!!IF monaco dont win,we just need to win,as simple as that (doesnt matter how many goals we score!!)

9. SuperElf

SuperElf Member

Jul 16, 1999
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. I knew there would be some downfall to not taking any math classes after 11th grade. (I fulfilled the math requirement for my BA with 2 CompSci classes . . .)

10. SuperElf

SuperElf Member

Jul 16, 1999
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    However, that's not quite true, because with a 2-1 win (or 3-2, 4-3, etc.), Olympiakos has more away goals in the head to head, and that comes before total GD.

So, let's sum up what we know:

a) If we let in a goal, we're 90% dicked.
    b) If we don't score, we're 100% dicked.

Doesn't sound too bad, eh? ;)

11. bjb7223

bjb7223 New Member

May 29, 2004
    Florida
    these numbers seem more confusing than the BCS..lol

I just want the reds to go through.

12. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Thats why i mentioned before that we will qualy only if we win by:-
    Possible results:-
    1-0 ,2-0 ,3-1,4-2 ,5-3,6-4,7-5,8-6,etc......