Barclays Premier League: Newcastle vs. Derby County 17 Sep [R]

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by tigerdave, Sep 6, 2007.

1. drc003

drc003 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't give a shit about the top 6 talk. I do however care that we have had a cake schedule and some very idiotic decisions are costing us points.

2. drc003

drc003 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL! I don't think there are any Derby fans waiting to get at us. I could be wrong however.

3. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not the Derby fans I'm concerned about.

4. drc003

drc003 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boro? Sunderland? Still behind us in the table right? :)

5. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would a Reading fan, who is now sitting here wondering if he just maybe supports the worst team in the Prem, count as a troll? ;)
    From what I watched of the feed this result was a combination of intense Derby effort [and some good new talent, admittedly] and a Newcastle side whose manager seemed to go into the day thinking that this would be more a training session than a serious match [judging by his choice of players, particularly on the bench]. Allardyce won't make the same mistake again, I think! These odd moments happen, and unless 3 points specifically cost you something of value [such as UEFA Cup] by the end of the season it will be forgotten. Let's just say I wish the Royals were where you are.
    Better fortune on the season... (except when facing Reading of course).
    Cheers.

6. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Unbelieveable.

7. drc003

drc003 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best of luck to the Royals mate. I would hate to see Coppell's side leave the Premiership.

8. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The upside to being stuck at my mom's pottery studio while my wife works is that there's plenty of chipped stock for me to go apeshit on.

9. drc003

drc003 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL! Sounds like fun. It also probably makes you feel like less of a fairy being at a pottery shop and all. I'm not trolling just trying to make you laugh! :p

10. mister19

mister19 New Member

Jun 26, 2007
    It's real simple -- sloppy play, lack of heart, and moronic coaching decisions.

Smith contributes little to nothing. Geremi is mediocre at best (being generous). Not to mention the entire midfield play is atrociously impotent. This game should have been an easy 3 points. Congrats to Derby for playing with aggressiveness and heart and pulling out a victory. I surely hope our boys do a gut check before the West Ham match because after that Arsenal and Man City on the road could easily result in 0 points.

11. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hiding in the corner, behind the wall of paint cubbyholes and out of sight, for that very reason. ;)

12. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simpler: :p

I just think we're not as good as the Bolton game led everyone to believe.

13. drc003

drc003 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen! What does he have against Emre? We continue to play with out anyone who can create something from the middle. This results in Owen and Martins rarely if ever getting the ball at their feet.

14. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet Moses! Is the honeymoon over yet?

Let's get it right. I feel this is a case of the boys strolling into Pride Park thinking the game was already won. This game may actually go a long way towards instilling a sense of urgency in the team for the rest of the season. Now let's see some fire for the Spammers.

15. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Emre was unavailable due to injury. Ditto Viduka, Jose Enrique, Barton, Ramage, et. al. The only available surefire first-choice players who didn't start today were Oba and Shay and they both at least made the bench.

16. mister19

mister19 New Member

Jun 26, 2007
    I don't know how much difference it would have made tonight, but Martins clearly needed to be starting. Ameobi is a wasted player out there. The tandem of Owen and Martins I think could have put away Derby early. And I am not understanding why N'Zogbia is where he is. He's not being put in the right position. I reallly like the guy's ability to feed the ball, yet he appears to have been marginalized tonight by a crap strategy. It's not like any of this stuff is not obvious, but I am just frustrated over losing to Derby, not to mention being shutout.

17. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two things: Owen prefers playing with a big man (see Heskey for England last week), and Zog has been great for the most part playing LB every league game so far. I agree he's better as LWM or CAM but he hasn't been a hack in defense, he just had an awful game.

18. colinh9

colinh9 New Member

Apr 26, 2003
    NY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Yes but even taking what we had we could have put out a team like this:

Harper/Given(whatever your choice is)
    Beye Cacapa Rozehnal Taylor
    Milner Butt Zogs
    Owen Martins
    Ameobi

Smith comes on for Owen 55 in. That would have been my gameplan. As I said Derby could not have been confident going into this, so why not really go at them? If we can get an early goal we take the crowd, the players and everything out of it. They didn't threaten us aside from set pieces and one fortunate chance on goal and I don't think they would have threatened us much more if we had taken Geremi out of the midfield. In all honesty I think he had a rather poor match and I think he is our current most overrated player. He certainly doesn't look like a captain.

19. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I just can't believe that DERBY ended our unbeaten run.

Freaking DERBY.

20. mister19

mister19 New Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Yeah, I understand what Owen likes, but perhaps what he likes is not best for the team under the current circumstances. When we have a healthy roster then I can live with Martins coming off the bench in the second half, but given the current situation I think we can do better.

21. Zaphkiel

Zaphkiel Self-hating Asian

Mar 3, 2005
    ZOMG NONE!!!11
    i've gotten used to this. It doesn't shock me as much as it used to.

22. Shameus

Shameus Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Middle of a Migraine
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad I decided to go for a run and do some errands instead of watch the last 60, the first 60 was frustrating enough. I don't have a problem with either Butt or Geremi starting but not both, and Smith....well why do I get the feeling their coaching staff cheered when they found out someone had bought him. He did nothing today from everything I have read. He needs to be relagated to the bench as soon as possible.

Sky Sports is reporting that :eek: surprise...Owen came off due to a possible groin injury. Why am I not surprised.

23. colinh9

colinh9 New Member

Apr 26, 2003
    NY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    God damnit. This game has killed my day.

24. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reason Smudge looks so bad in the midfield is because he's a freaking striker. SAF bought him to replace the dog-wanker in midfield but he proved he couldn't do it (plus he got injured) so they bought Carrick and left Smudge up front where he could actually be productive.

I'd start Smith up front over Ameobi, frankly, as a target forward and call it good. Shola didn't do much at all today and if Viduka is out for an extended period maybe we should give Alan a shot.

25. Shameus

Shameus Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Middle of a Migraine
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could see giving that a try. Anything to get him out of the midfield.