Barca = Future USMNT Attackers

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ddw31089, Nov 10, 2004.

1. ddw31089

ddw31089 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    After watching Barcelona tear things up so far this year I can't help but notice the similarities in their style and how the USMNT may look in the somewhat near future. Check out the similiarites for us in the very near future as far as our attacking formation.

Barcelona

Eto'o

Ronaldinho Deco Giuly

Giovanni Xavi

USMNT

Johnson

Beasley Gaven/Adu Donovan

JOB/Dempsey Szetelea

I know it doesn't make much sense to speculate as far as future formations, but it I just can't help thinking how much fun it would be to Beasley, Donovan, Gaven (or Adu) switching positions in midfield in front of a quick powerful striker like Johnson. It would be so fun to watch especially as how each of the three midfield players are slightly different players just like the midfielders with Barcelona.

It may also be a stretch but if the above mentioned players develop as they have over the last few years we could have an offense that could be as dangerous as most in the world.

2. Octavius Agustus

Octavius Agustus New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    33RD sTREET
    Talking formations is fine, but...........

Please don't compare with Barça..........

3. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Samuel Eto'o couldn't keep up with Eddie Johnson if EJ had one of his legs chained to the other. Freddy Adu could do with an orange what Deco can do with a soccer ball (thanks Zlatan). Rafa Marquez is Josh Wolff's Bitch. Landon Donovan once took a crap, and when he looked down he thought he saw Ronaldinho's face. He was mistaken, that was just Ronaldino's game. Guily once dreamt he was DaMarcus Beasley, then he woke up screaming because he realized he could never be that good.

4. Bryan Gividen

Bryan Gividen New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Provo, UT (BYU)

Ah your blanket nationalism and selective blinders you put on always entertain me. You have no basis for any of those comparisons and all you have established (except in Freddy's case... which just isn't true as of right now) is that US players have more athleticism.

None of the US players you listed have prooved themselves to be near as consistent or as good as any of the other players you listed. Excepting MAYBE Donovan who impresses on the big level time and time again. DMB is good, but you'd find few who would take him in heartbeat over Guily.

5. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I've always thought with USA's wealth of attacking midfielder's we would do well in a 451

6. pupusa3000

pupusa3000 Member

May 15, 2001
    East Bay Area

This is just a thought, but...I know this sounds crazy...but I think appooOnU was joking.

7. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    who? me? :eek:

8. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Mr.Sampson, can I have your autograph?

9. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    :confused:

10. Tecos

Tecos Member+

Apr 8, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    Tecos UA de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Looks like we have a frontrunner for worst post ever....

11. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

Don't blow a gasket, amigo, he was talking about future formations and tactics, not player quality.

:rolleyes:

12. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Barca likes to kick a ball into a goal so does the US, look at me comparing them.

13. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Clint Mathis loves the nightlife so does Ronaldinho, look at me comparing them.

14. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Barcelona's dmid Thiago Motta is hurt so is American dmid John O'brien, look at me comparing them.

I think I've almost made my point

15. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but without the quality, how effective will that formation be? Barca's forwards are constantly switching positions and attacking so well because Barca's forwards are smart enough, and skilled enough to do so effectively.

Barca has at least two of the top five attacking midfielders in the world. Our players lack the technical AND tactical skills to do what Barca does, as effectively as they do it. It may work for CONCACAF, but not against the big boys.

16. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Sure, today this formation won't be optimal for the US but I thought the lineup was looking forward to 2010.

17. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Speculating is fun.... but I'm having enough trouble predicting the lineup for the Jamaica game much less 2010.

And that comparison where both defensive midfielders Motta and O'Brien are hurt... dang that's freaky - I never realized we were so much like Barca! Should we call the Xfiles or Twilight Zone. ;)

18. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Waking up to this post -

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Thank you BS!

Diverse, funny, sarcastic, unrealistic, and insane all at the same time!!!!!

I love the smell of BS in the morning...smells like...entertainment.

19. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Barca plays "4-1-2-2-1" a lot because it suits their personnel and because it is not all that different from an old 4-3-3, with one defensive mid, two creative mids, two wingers and one centerforward.

In any case, if the US - or anyone else for that matter - had their talent, then it could play the same formation with the same effectiveness. But since it doesn't...

20. ddw31089

ddw31089 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    I hope most people realize I am not comparing the USMNT to Barcelona at the moment. Even assuming that we may approach that level sometime down the road (4-6 years) would be a bit of a stretch.

However, the point I am trying to make is just how much potential our midfield has if our current young stars (Beasley, Donovan, Adu and Gaven) continue to develop at the rate they are.

The reason I chose to use Barca as a comparison is because I do see similarities between their players and ours. I don't think it is out of this world to think Beasley could develop into a player as good as Guily, and the same goes for Donovan/Gaven and Deco. As far as Ronaldinho.....well I don't see any comparisons with him. But we can always have wet dreams Adu will pan out even remotely as close a player...

21. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Honestly, DDW, there are no similarities between Barca and the US.

And that's because any team that plays Barcelona rolls their defensive scheme toward stopping Ronaldinho. In Milan's case, they covered him with a defender and a collapsing mid (Ambrosini).

Within any foreseeable future, the USMNT will not have a player comparable to Ronaldinho.

Why is that so important? Because much like the NBA defenses schemed against Michael Jordan, the NHL defenses against Mario Lemieux or the NFL defensive coordinators against Randy Moss, Ronaldinho requires the same type of attention. The reason Deco and Guily can run against single defenders was because there's always a duo on R.Gaucho.

Remove him or Jordan/Lemieux/Moss and you get an entirely different defensive scheme and that's what the US will face.

And that's the gist of it.

22. ddw31089

ddw31089 New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Yeah, thats probably why I said even comparing our midfielders to theirs in 4-6 years would be a bit of a stretch. Probably also why I said we don't have anyone who can remotely compare with Ronaldinho. However, the reason I was writing was to say that the potential is there for a comparison if they continue to develop (esp. Adu).

But thanks for the comparson with Mario Lemeiux. You gotta love athletes who smoke during the intermission/half-time.

23. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I think that the young players in the US system could lead to a 4-5-1 like this:
    -------------Cronin
    Spector--Gooch--Boca--Convey/Karby/Whitbread
    --------Szetela--Dempsey
    ---Donovan---Adu---Beasley
    ------------Johnson
    Until the MLS season Freddy had not played a game, probably in his entire life, where the opposing coach didn't treat him as a Ronaldinho/Moss/Shaq type player. If he can keep his relative position among players his age, best player in the world, then the US can do this formation and run it like Barcelona. Freddy probably won't be the best player in the world but if he becomes very, very good this formation could still work. But hell if Buddle, Cooper, Preston Zimmerman, or some other youth forward steps up the USA's ideal formation changes. What I think won't change is that our players will be able to play a very fluid attacking style.

24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    GK is such a long way ahead projection. Joe Cannon is a 30-year old youngster and could easily be in between the sticks in 2,010, although Tim Howard is a potential superstar GK.

Russell ---- Gooch ---- Boca ---- Karbassiyon

----- Spector ---

Gaven ---- Donovan ---- Beasley

----- Casey ---- Johnson ---

One forward is for wussies or for the teams with Ronaldinho on the left.