Baptista Bestia

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by GunneRy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    I can't wait to see him back in the lineup. I'm hoping he'll provide some muscle to add to el juego bonito that arsenal plays.

He's had six weeks off, for chrissake, he should be well-rested to make a few few tackles and fire a few on goal. But knowing Wenger, he'll have to be "eased back" into games.

2. 0-Point

0-Point Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Quantum flux
    Unleash the Beast!

3. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I cant see him starting after a six week lay off, like you said knowing Wenger...I dont know who will start instead of Gilberto, Flamini may move to the holding role with Freddy coming in for 60mins or so. Then again Song may come in for a straight swap with Gilberto.

Lets hope we get to see the best, or even FLASHES of The Beasts best very soon!

4. muhardom

muhardom New Member

Mar 1, 2005
    New York
    Song will not straight swap for Gilberto. He was terrible last game he came on and if anyone should get the nod after Gilberto it's going to Flamini.

Song is crap and hopefully out in January.

5. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    I agree but yet I dont agree. I havent really seen Song do much good yet but I'd say give him until the end of next season. Between him, Denilson, Flamini, and Muamba...someone's gotta show up...

6. SLO-Gunner

SLO-Gunner New Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Baltimore
    Just like it seems precocious to me to want to buy someone based on 4 performances in the world cup or an amazing game in goal in a single champions league match against us, I'm not willing to rule out Song yet. I haven't seen him play in more than 4-5 matches for us and that's in a limited role then. I'd like to see a little more before giving him the axe.

7. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    LOL....I agree. He should be very well rested. Time to prove himself.

8. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Maybe Flamini is the future Gilberto??

9. 49unbeaten

49unbeaten Member

Jan 3, 2005
    upstate ny
    I think he can fill in for gilberto, but Flamini cant a perminent replacement...

10. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What not big enough or too forward thinking?

11. 49unbeaten

49unbeaten Member

Jan 3, 2005
    upstate ny
    a bit of both...plus being in the prem we need a big time DM...is flamini really the man you want to take care ballack, gerrard or someone for that nature??

12. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    We have the whole team to take care of Gerrard and Ballack. We sort of play more like Barca now....And Flamini can become sort of like Edmilson.

13. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Barca don't play in a tough tackling league. We need to have at least one strong man on the field, so flamini cannot replace gilberto full time. I wouldn't mind him playing this coming game, but we will still need a permanent replacement.

As for baptista, it wouldn't surprise me to not see him start until january. He definately won't be starting before december. With 3 months gone, his time to impress is getting cut real fine. He is going to have an absolute stormer for the next 6 months or he is out in the summer I feel.

14. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    Yeah thats true. But I dont think we will get rid of Flamini. He can playalmost anywhere in the midfield when you really think about it. He can play with Gilberto in the middle, or play with Cesc in the middle. Maybe not very well yet, but he is i feel the only one who can do it righ tnow. He can also play on the wings if necessary and of course left back.

15. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm not saying get rid of flamini. He is a very useful squad player.

He is our version of o'shea, but he is actually competent at the positions he slots in.

16. 49unbeaten

49unbeaten Member

Jan 3, 2005
    upstate ny
    So you're tellin me that our DM doesnt have to win us balls and take care of the other teams danger players???

17. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    No im not saying that at all....Im just saying that we dont need a Makelele/Diarra type defensive midfielder and Gilberto isnt one. Hes more of a technical DM. He thrives on breaking up passes, not bullying players. Yes he may do this from time to time but its not his speciality.

18. muhardom

muhardom New Member

Mar 1, 2005
    New York
    If by technical you mean makes one out of every tenth pass succesful then he fits that bill.
    I don't think we need a Diarra type either. I think once Diaby and Denilson get back in the squad we'll see a more of a box to box central midfield rather than a 5-4-1 which is what we have now.

19. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a tough time writing the guy off before he starts a single game.

20. KirbyNYC

KirbyNYC Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC
    I agree. The real test comes in a few weeks when we're playing a match every 3 days or so. A rotation in the midfield is key. So I'm sure Baptista, Flamini, etc will be given a chance to make an impression then.

21. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    You seem to have forgotten that Arsene wanted to sign Julio permanently last year before Madrid employed their monkey see monkey do attitude. Its not his sub par performances for Real that Wenger wanted him for its the ability and potential he saw in him when he was at Sevilla. The move will definately be made permanent IMO unless Madrid try toss around with the fine details

22. blanc

blanc Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Los Galácticos
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Why would we toss around with the fine details? Don't get me wrong I am a MASSIVE, MASSIVE fan of Reyes, but if I remember correctly Reyes is worth less than Baptista and yet we were forced to pay something on top? Madrid had to give in exasperatedly (spl/word? :p) to the Arses being well, arses ;)

23. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Reyes is worth less than baptista? In what twisted world do you live in? And yes wenger wanted baptista before he signed adebayor. Now he is basically our 4th choice forward, and in the summer we will have bendtner coming back, and I'm inclined to believe wenger would rather keep his youth product and ship out baptista than have it the other way around. Walcott is going to start laying a serious claim as a sub during next season as well. I just don't see wenger dropping any of the other players to keep baptista unless he shows himself to be invaluable.

The only place baptista fits in is in a 4-5-1, which we seem to be avoiding like the plague whenever we have 2 forwards fit.

24. shincan

shincan Member

Sep 19, 2005
    I kinda miss Reyes. Not the post-season, Real-Madrid shirt holding, I can't understand London Reyes, but the wide position, good assists, sometimes shooting on target Reyes.

I haven't seen enough of Baptista to have any thoughts at all about him.