Bands that are ripoffs of other bands

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by superdave, Sep 21, 2003.

1. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would anyone want to rip him off? Oh right, major commericial success while sucking big time.

2. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those neo mod bands like the Jam were trying to sound like the Kinks.

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    :rolleyes:

it took DMB a lot longer to hit the big time, they paid plenty of dues - if you don't like them, that's cool... but i'd have a hard time charging that a group of guys who play their instruments expertly and do something different suck - toma(Y)to, toma(H)to i suppose

4. joshdcu

joshdcu New Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Washington, DC
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Bands that are ripoffs of other bands

Funny, I always thought that Billy Joe looked a lot like Joe Strummer... Actually, I always heard a heavy Buzzcocks influence in Green Day (not that there's anything wrong with that: they could have been influenced by much worse...).

Actually, I never minded Green Day. Even though they were part of the "new school" (as far as I was concerned...), they did come out of an actual music/punk scene, unlike so much of the record label-manufactured stuff that came out later trying to imitate their success. Plus, when they got picked up by a major label (Geffen?) for Dookie, they were pretty good to their old independent label (Lookout) by making sure the indie kept the rights to their back catalog.

As for other bands that are ripoffs of other bands, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club is pretty derivative of Jesus and Mary Chain. Also, like JAMC, BRMC are very style-over-substance. This is not necessarily to say that they're completely bad (though I don't really understand all the hype around BRMC), but the formula is very much the same.

John Mayer and Dave Matthews Band are very much alike, too: they both suck.

5. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pearl Jam ripped off Dinosaur Jr.

(art runs and hides from the wrath of the psycho PJ lovers of BS)

6. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bands that are ripoffs of other bands

You're just saying that because every woman in your life is in love with John Mayer.

Well that's my excuse, anyway.

7. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coldplay remind of early U2, especially the vocals.
    Bands whose vocalists sound a lot like the late Layne Staley of Alice In Chans:
    Staind
    Godsmack
    That other band from Florida, I can't remember their name, not Creed.

8. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    The difference is Travis (who have been around a lot longer) at least have had a couple of good songs. I can see the Coldplay->Radiohead thing, both mumbling, moody rubbish. I cannot see the INXS->David Bowie link though. Listen like thieves is not like The Laughing gnome as far as I can make out.

How about the singer from Creed sounding a lot like Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam ?. Or Papa Roach sounding like a melodramatic 13 year old having a tantrum ?.

Another bunch of magpies are the Manics. Drum intro to Everything must go=Be my baby on the Dirty Dancing sountrack, Design for life's gituars=unchained melody.

9. joshdcu

joshdcu New Member

Jun 29, 1999
    Washington, DC
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bands that are ripoffs of other bands

Ha ha... That's pretty funny.

Actually, my main woman is pretty unaware of John Mayer, and I think that (in our mid-30s) we're a bit older than his fanbase, anyway.

Good point about Pearl Jam and Dinosaur Jr., too; I hadn't thought of that at all. Of course, I try not to think about Pearl Jam anyway. I've just never understood what the big deal about them was/is. Oh well.

10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bands that are ripoffs of other bands

Agreed. A rectal exam by a blind woman with 3 inch long nails is more enjoyable. Boring, boring, boring. Dave Matthews is a college phenomenon. We had something like that back in the day. They were called The Spin Doctors and they svcked big time too.

11. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    From the Pixies thread

Jack White sounds like Black Francis.

12. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bands that are ripoffs of other bands

you need help... fast

13. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bands that are ripoffs of other bands

That might be the case if i "jammed" (Jesus Christ - didn't that word go out with the Allman Bros.?) to DMB day after day. He's so wimpy & inconsequential. A silly throw-back with a voice so annoying he couldn't win a Battle of the Bands at a local HS. Pure crap.

14. Jawz10

Jawz10 Moderator

Feb 27, 1999
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Re: From the Pixies thread

True. On that note, both Weezer and nirvana were heavily influenced by the Pixies.

15. whirlwind

whirlwind New Member

Apr 4, 2000
    Plymouth, MI, USA
    We had the same idea, we just called it "Bon RattEuropella".

16. Maczebus

Maczebus Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Nah, The Jam were far more angry. I really can't imagine Paul Weller in his angry young man phase singing about a transvestite drinking cherry cola.

17. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

not only does coldplay's singer not mumble, he tends to over-enunciate... have you even listened to them?

18. Maczebus

Maczebus Member

Jun 15, 2002
    You can't fail to listen to them if you're British. They're everywhere.

But he does have a point. Maybe he doesn't mumble quite so incoherently as Thom Yorke but there's defintely a possibility of it happening.

However, I would like to point out that I'm not comparing them. They're similar (loosely) styles but to say Coldplay rip-off Radiohead is a bit wrong really.

I'm so crap at this comparing bands thing - the only one I can offer is the obvious Oasis and Beatles link. Passe (how do you do accents on letters??) I know but it's the best I could think of.

19. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Yes I have, sadly live as well, in Esquire's in Bedford, about 6 months before they hit it big with Yellow. About 9 people turned up, and it was the most boring experience of my life. They are over-rated dirgemeisters whose songs all sound the same. Are you you're one of those goons who think the sun shines out of Chris Martin's arse, and that their music is some sort of life changing experience ?. I cannot get away from the tedious bunch of posh-boy wankers. The fact all the beard-stroking musos love is reason enough to want to never hear their tripe ever again. I cannot quantify how much I hate their music, and all the muppets who bleat on about how they're the best band around. As far as I'm concerned they're not even the best band called Coldplay.

20. Maczebus

Maczebus Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Thought of one -

Boom Town Rats and The Strokes.

21. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    The most egregious examples I can think of are from the Grunge era (the only time I really paid attention to music on the radio). The worst from that era was Bush ripping off Nirvana. I also thought Candlebox ripped off Alice in Chains.

Currently, Interpol sounds way too much like Joy Division.

22. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Police ripped off Steel Pulse.

...but in a good way.

23. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

this has been missed by those that are one with the pearl jam

what the fcuk is your problem????

are you in need of a lobotomy or did the one you tried to administer to yourself horribly succeed??

i spit in your general direction

--------------------

i always thought alice and chains was two bands... their real self... then trying to sell records by copying others

---------------------

dumb and mayer both sound like weather channel music... the weather channel should sue, it's better

----------------------

remember folks... when doing lobotomies from home, make sure the screwdriver is placed above your eye... not below...

24. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    I've never seen the huge resemblance between Bush and Nirvana, and I was a huge fan of both bands, owning multiple CD's of both bands. I just don't see that one too much, except Rossdale's weird lyrics that don't mean anything that sound like Cobain's weird lyrics that actually do mean things most of the time.

25. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    sigh... another piece of chattle