Bands that are ripoffs of other bands

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by superdave, Sep 21, 2003.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just wonder what bands you guys think rip off other bands.

Like, The Mighty Lemon Drops ripped off Echo and the Bunnymen. Sixpence None the Richer totally rip off the Sundays. Coldplay rips off Radiohead. INXS ripped off David Bowie. The Alarm ripped off U2.

Sometimes the ripper can be pretty great. Early Springsteen really, really ripped off Dylan.

2. slipknotter

slipknotter New Member

May 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    We had a thread similar to this, linking specific songs to other that sound very much alike. As for bands, I'm not too sure. But as for songs, Sublime's "What I Got" sounds an awful lot like The Beatles' "Lady Madonna" and Papa Roach's "Last Resort" main riff is stolen from Maiden's "Hallowed Be Thy Name"

3. Nate505

Nate505 Member

Feb 10, 2002
    Colorado
    Godsmack is such a ripoff of Alice in Chains it isn't funny (even though I don't hate Godsmack as much as many people do). Hell, their name is an Alice and Chains song.....

4. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF? I don't see how Godsmack is a ripoff of AiC. Two different styles of music.

5. Jawz10

Jawz10 Moderator

Feb 27, 1999
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Finch rips off Glassjaw
    Taking Back Sunday rips of Thursday
    AFI rips of the Misfits, Rancid, and Bauhaus
    The Strokes rip off the 60's

6. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    coldplay sound nothing like radiohead...

7. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Re: Re: Bands that are ripoffs of other bands

yeah i concur

8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Don't they call Travis a poor man's Coldplay?

9. TheLimeChicken

Mar 27, 2001
    Dorchester, MA
    I'm sure Sully and the other guys would take that as a compliment. Seeing as they started life as an AiC tribute band (hence the name) and have stated in local radio interviews on WAAF that they pretty much still consider themselves and AiC tribute band, just one that does original songs now, i.e. they still pretty much try to sound like them.

BTW, I pretty much can't stand Godsmack either.

10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    What was the band with a heroin-addict lead singer who sounded so much like Eddie Vedder that a lot of people thought they were a Pearl Jam tribute band? I should be able to get the name since I saw them once (the heroin-addict lead singer got hit in the head with a muddy sneaker twice in the same show... a thing of beauty) but other than that, since they were opening for Butthole Surfers... every other memory was erased.

11. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    stone temple pilots??

creed???

12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's the band.

13. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I would NEVER associate INXS with Bowie. Maybe Bowie was an early influence, but I don't see it in any of their 80s "hits."

The Alarm were huge ripoffs but they rode the Irish wave in the early 80s as far as they could.

14. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John Mayer is a complete ripoff of Dave Matthews.

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thought the Alarm were Welsh.

16. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i agree with c-pizzeria on the INXS - i thought about that today and i'm still not sure why that didn't ring false earlier

simply put: sillyness - the biggest similarities are the acoustic guitar use and the high quality

17. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Coldplay is Radiohead with a teenaged girlfriend and a lobotomy.

18. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would honestly say over 50% of the people I know thought John Mayer was Dave Matthews the first time they heard him on the radio (turning it on mid-song.) He may be different now, but his first batch of material he was often using Matthews-esque vocal inflections. I don't see how people can't see the similarity. Granted, we all though it was weakest material Matthews ever put out, but it still sounded like him.

19. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Re: Re: Re: Bands that are ripoffs of other bands

funny... and morbidly false... yet something to aspire to

1-without going into detail... this does not convince me... at all

2-their voices are easily distinguishable, 0-2

3-i realize people who like one tend to like the other, but they are pretty different artists in just about every way... out of curiousity, do you play guitar? because if you do... i don't see how you are confusing them

20. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Bands that are ripoffs of other bands

I'm not trying to convince you...just stating my opinion.

I like Dave Matthews, that's why I was disappointed to think that Mayer's material was Matthews' material.

I tinker, and that's the main thing that made me question my ears. Matthews is 10 times the guitar player Mayer is. Matthews has a lot of interesting chord progressions, etc.

21. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i guess it's cool you see it your way i see it mine, but other than the fact that they are BOTH outstanding acoustic guitar players and excellent songwriters... well you know

in any event, a quick comparison

voice:
    jm-very breathy with good falsetto bursts

dm-quite nasal, likes to go meow-style out the side of his mouth, and yes has several distinctive vocal tics and hiccups

guitar style:
    jm-mutes individual strings a lot and plays hard over them, very often uses his thumb on the low G, often plays eloquent solos, several palm mutes, likes to play at the top of the neck a lot

dm-much more picking and two or three string bursts and/or slides, never solos (preferring to leave those to the fiddle and sax players), a big fondness for jazz chords and bar chords

song style:
    jm-generally holds a tight, lean structure

dm-as we know, likes to meander

lyric style:
    jm:earnest and playful, often about girls, quite personal, questions himself and those who were/are close to him

dm-often a bit cryptic, likes to toy with the typical sentence structure, more universal in theme, questions society a good bit

anyway, i think they both rule and i suggest you try out john's stuff that isn't on the radio

22. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm suprised Ted Cikowski hasn't stopped by to say that Pavement is a ripoff of The Fall.

A friend of mine used to refer to all of the 80's hair bands that ripped each other off as "Great White Lion Snake".

Murf

23. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I was wondering how many posts it would take before someone mentioned either Pavement/The Fall or The Cure/New Order (possibly MVBM's two longest-running debates).

Here's one: it's no secret that early Metallica was heavily influenced by Black Sabbath, but over half the riffs on Ride the Lightning appeared on Master of Reality in some form or another.

24. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Doesn't just about EVERY emo band borrow in equal parts from Glassjaw, Sunny Day Real Estate, and (occasionally) Weezer?

25. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Re: Re: Re: Bands that are ripoffs of other bands

You're right. Not that it matters. :)

I always thought that Billy Joe from Green Day tried waaaay to hard to sound like Joe Strummer. My cousin picked up "Dookie" when it 1st came out and I said - "Sounds like Joe Strummer's singing for a new band." He replied - "Who's Joe Strummer?" Oh well - what can you do with these new punk converts?