Ball rupture....

Discussion in 'Referee' started by campbed, Dec 17, 2011.

?

What is the restart

1. Play On!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. IFK Coming In

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Drop Ball

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Rekick

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. campbed

campbed Member

Oct 13, 2006
    New Hampshire, USA
    Fun!

http://goo.gl/F1JTK

And the restart is.....

Bonus question: what if this play was a PK? What is restart then?

2. IllinoisRef

IllinoisRef Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This came up today on my recert. Dropped ball unless it's a PK and it hasn't being touched or hit the goal posts, then is a retake of PK.

3. RichM

RichM Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 18, 2009
    Meridian, ID
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My daughter asked an interesting question: "Did the referee blow the whistle before the player picked the ball up with his hands?" Obviously, common sense refereeing would dictate that you, as referee, just declare that play stopped when the ball became unplayable and not punish the handling, but it's something to consider, especially if the problem with the ball wasn't quite so obvious.

4. RichM

RichM Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 18, 2009
    Meridian, ID
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had that on my recert this year, too...

5. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    It doesn't matter when the ref blows the whistle, it is literally a dead ball. When the ball is ruptured, it immediately becomes a dead ball situation, whether you noticed it or not...... so you better have a damn good sprint time to your car if you are gonna call handling on that. I have had a ruptured ball once and I didn't notice it immediately but the players around the ball stopped and one picked it up and said it was dead. I blew my whistle for handling immediately and then confirmed that the ball was ruptured, thusly restarting with a dropped ball. No problems.

6. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I agree.

7. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    A better question would be, if a player kicks the ball and it ruptures on the way to goal. Keeper is not near and has no chance. The ball goes in. What is your call?

8. NC Soccer United

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Ruptured ball is still a dead ball. Doesn't matter if it is on the way to the goal. Restart with a dropped kick.

9. IllinoisRef

IllinoisRef Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The same, Dropped ball!

10. NC Soccer United

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Any ruptured ball in play, with the exception of PK, restarts with dropped ball no matter where, what, how, when, and why. It is that clear cut and dry.

11. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol who voted for "play on" :p

12. DadOf6

DadOf6 Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably someone who wants to play with an oblate spheroid.

13. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    Maybe when we used the word rupture, we have the image of a ball that is completely shattered. It would be very easy to call a drop ball then.

Have you ever had to deal with the ball which just lost its air and went flat a little? Just enough to not be able to continue to play on? How about one of those which still retained its shape pretty well which went into goal? Have you ever had to make one of those calls before?

14. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    "Harass them! Harass them! Coerce them to surrender the oblate spheroid! Rah Harvard!"

IIRC ;)

15. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember reading once were a Spanish fan SHOT the ball before it rolled across his home team's goal line. I believe it was around the turn of the century (1900)

Drop ball??

I think I'd ABANDON THE MATCH first!!

16. soccerman771

soccerman771 Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Dallas, Texas area
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe this is a silly question, but what constitutes that the ball has ruptured? Is that a busted seam? a deflated ball? a ball that has a slow leak? A ball that has exploded because a sniper took it out? :eek:

17. IllinoisRef

IllinoisRef Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    All the above!

18. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I had a ball go dead at a tournament a few weeks ago mid first half. Faulty valve and you could hear it sound "flat" midway thru first half. Replaced it on throw in.

19. gosellit

gosellit BigSoccer Supporter

May 10, 2005
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q_kdioLnoY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q_kdioLnoY[/ame]

This happened over the weekend. Unfortunately, it does not show the restart.

20. HoustonRef

HoustonRef Member

May 23, 2009
    Many, many, many moons ago - when I still did a little adult soccer - I had this. As I recall, a player kicked the ball out of play and then turned and said to me "the ball is flat." I restarted with a throw-in (and new ball); no problems. Didn't have to deal with the ball being "still in play" so to speak.

21. pwave

pwave Member

Jul 28, 2004
    ValleyOfHeartsDelite
    I think, in this case, the correct terminology would be "deflate spheroid".

22. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    This year I had a game with U13 or U14B.
    Big cross/ shot came in from the right, a defender stopped the ball dead right outside the 6 yd line. He got one foot right on top the ball but he stopped playing. I didn't know why he stopped, no one knew why he stopped. He then pointed to the ball and called out, "Ref, the ball is flat".
    The ball looked fine from 15 yds away but I blew the whistle, ran over, picked the ball up and it was indeed a little flat such that you could not use it. We replaced the ball and I dropped the ball to that player. We continued on, no problem.

That situation made me wonder, what if the defender had not stopped the ball and it went directly into goal? The attacking team, coaches, parents would all be cheering for the goal. The defending team would have conceded the goal. The ref team would be writing down the score. Everyone would be setting up for a kick-off restart.

No one would have known the ball had gone flat, until someone picked it out from the back of the net!

What would you have done then?

23. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

Goal --- a balls not flat until someone knows it's flat.
    You have no way of knowing that the ball was flat when it entered the goal or if it went flat after it entered the goal.

24. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, it's definitely harder to score with a flat ball!

Maybe, it should be worth two points! :rolleyes:

25. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    Are you suggesting:
    1) If the ball was flat when it entered the goal or before it entered the goal, you would have called a drop ball?

2) If the ball went flat after it entered the goal, you would have awarded the goal?

Why did you choose #2 ?