Bad news or bad reporting?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Beez, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Beez

Beez Member

Dec 20, 1999
    An AP article tonight says that the Cisco stadium will be the home of the A's and the MLS team. That's gotta be a reporting mistake, right?

I can't find it on any Websites other than AP's (which is password-protected), but it's written by Greg Beacham and is about the 49ers and A's stadium situations.

Two main excerpts:

"Meanwhile, the A's have reached a deal with Cisco Systems Inc. to build a new high-tech ballpark in Fremont, about 25 miles south of Oakland. The field is expected to be the home of a Major League Soccer franchise as well."

"The A's will make a formal announcement Tuesday of their plans for a stadium _ dubbed Cisco Field _ in Fremont. City officials there have many of the same questions about financing and resources.

That field also is expected to be home to an MLS franchise if the A's ownership group follows through on its plan to move a club to the Bay Area. There's even been quiet talk that the NBA's Sacramento Kings would consider a move to San Jose if they can't get a new arena in California's capital, though other areas seem more likely."

2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Bad reporting.

3. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, bad reporting. IF Lew Wolff intended to put the MLS club in the Baseball park, he'd have said so last night. Also, baseball and soccer in the same stadium is a bad idea. You have to take the bases in and out of the field surface, and you have to reconfigure the park between games. No, terrible idea. The Timbers share a stadium with a baseball team and it sucks. Lots of date conflicts too.

Lew Wolff isn't that dumb.

QUAKES FOREVER!!
    GO WOLFF!!
    GO SSV!!
    fuaeg!
    fumls!

- Mark

4. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YES! WOO HOO!! The Maloofs are just what we need to liven this city up! :p

But it'll never happen. So it must be bad reporting. :D

Seriously though, who knows? We'll have to wait for an annoucement to know for sure. Mark, the article didn't say the same stadium. It simply said the same site.

5. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bad reporting (and being an ex-journo, I think I can be an informed critic of bad journalism, a lot of which happens in Australia).

Besides, with the goals to build SSS's across the board notwithstanding, it's been MLS's policy from Day One that its teams do not groundshare with baseball teams.

Definitely bad reporting, for sure.

6. JohnWP

JohnWP Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Monterey, CA
    Can't imagine it's true.

If it is true, I'll be happy enough if the plan is to start playing sooner while the SSS is built.

7. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    unless your name is DC United....

8. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, they were the lone tenants of RFK first, before the Washington Nationals came in. And, if memory serves, they had very little say in the matter (although I'm sure some DC Utd fans could clarify this).

9. Airblair

Airblair Member

Dec 8, 1999
    Redwood City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From here, during the original announcement when Wolff and Co. bought the Quakes option last May: