Back in 2009? Word from the USL

Discussion in 'California Victory' started by Loop Revil, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Loop Revil

Loop Revil New Member

Jun 11, 2007
    http://www.uslsoccer.com/home/215814.html

From the site:

... With the return of the Seattle Sounders to defend their USL First Division Championship and the absence of the California Victory, who may return in 2009 under new ownership, 11 teams will be vying for the 2008 USL First Division Championship and Commissioner’s Cup ...

... “Although disappointed the Victory will not be a part of our 2008 competition, we continue to make progress towards bringing USL-1 soccer back to San Francisco with a new ownership group conceivably to be introduced prior to even the commencement of the 2008 season,” Holt added. “However as a reflection of our confidence in and respect for the long-term health of the league, the importance of providing adequate preparation time to ensure the success of any new ownership group was prioritized above all else. Considering we are also in advanced stage dialogue with prospective franchise ownership groups in several major markets within the States of California, Texas, and Florida, the 2009 season is shaping up to be a key expansion year for USL-1.”

2. Delle Alpi

Delle Alpi BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well thats pretty good news I guess. I must say that I will remain guardedly optimistc until I hear officially that they are back. But I wish the new ownership group the best of luck and will give my full support. COME ON YOU VICS!!!

3. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Maybe by 2009 there will be a couple of other USL1 franchises in California -- i.e. Fresno and a team in Southern California (maybe Ventura).

4. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess this explains why there hadn't previous news from the league on the status of the Victory. They were still working with the perspective new team. I personally think they them waiting a year to get started is much better then trying to get everything in place in 6 months. I know that's not ideal for you fans in SF, but it could help for more of a long term future.

5. Delle Alpi

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also think they want to follow the Carolina Railhawk model of marketing for the year before actually playing. that way people actually know the team is here. Unlike previous ownership who did nothing and most people didn't even know we had a team until the season was over.

6. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Honestly this is good news that the team has a new ownership group and that the USL is still healthy. We need both the MLS & USL to be 100% financial healthy for the long haul & hopefully if there is any of that thing called pro/rel available, that their will be a real partnership between the two leagues. Hopefully somewhere down the future.

We can also hopefully end any qualifying for spots in the US Open Cup and there can be all clubs in MLS & USL to get their spots.

7. deedougie

deedougie Member

Jul 5, 2000
    OAK,CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great News! Here's looking (hopefully) to the Vics if not in '08 than '09!!

8. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    I'm down for reuniting in 09. Like was said earlier, I'd rather have a team with their siht together in 09 than a repeat of 07 in 08. If the team were properly marketed, the talent was drawn from local stars (like the old Victory was I'm slowly finding out), and Kezar had good match-day facilities, this could turn out to be quite a good investment. I wish somebody would see the potential of soccer in San Francisco and upgrade Kezar to a modern SSS with an antique feel to it.

9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still, the Bay Area seems to be making this a habit if the Vics do come back, first the Quakes take a 2 year break, now the Vics take a possible 1 year break. The Bay Area top level soccer clubs seem to enjoy vacations or something.

But if it helps the Vics come out stronger in 09 I guess it's not all bad.

10. deedougie

deedougie Member

Jul 5, 2000
    OAK,CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing I am glad about the Victory possibly continuing:

This won't be one of the only highlights that people will remember about the Victory's 07 season

;)

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I never thought they would last when the Quakes were to be revived. I doubt they will be back in the USL1. I think they should merge more with the Seals and make 1 good USL club instead of two small time clubs.

12. Delle Alpi

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You still make the incorrect assumption that that every soccer fan in San Francisco is willing to travel to Buck Shaw to the Quakes. A USL1 team can easily survive and thrive with a lower attendance than a MLS team. They play most of their games on nights when MLS isn't scheduled and the price is lower. I also know some guys who will not travel to San Jose for a game, the same way many of the south bay fans will not come here. A lot of us like the idea of going to a game without a 45 minute trek south. USL1 and PDL are totally different levels of soccer so the idea of a merger is not realistic. I know I can support both so I don't see the problem.

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Actually, I thought a little about that but aside from the Quakes revival, I still mostly had doubts and never reallty believed they would last that long.

14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So should we keep this Victory subforum?

15. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes !

'nuff said :cool:

16. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should probably be moved to the a new "expansion" section of the USL forum. Because they're now a possible expansion team, kinda like the Quakes were for two years and no longer an active club.

17. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    Or we can ask for renaming this sub-forum to the San Francisco Seals subforum.

18. Delle Alpi

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about renaming it San Francisco USL soccer forum. That way in will include the Seals and the Vics, at least until the Vics come back officially.

19. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like this idea ! :cool:

20. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a "renaming" will do,I mean this sub-forum got more trafic than any other " active USL team's sub forums. :cool:

21. Loop Revil

Loop Revil New Member

Jun 11, 2007
    Plus, as there is no other Vics web site right now, this would be a good place to share information and ideas.

22. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That's probably the best route to go.

23. tectonicnight

tectonicnight Member

Mar 28, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    an upraised thumb for this

24. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope the 2009 team has a better name, using the city instead of state at least.

25. doktordan

doktordan New Member

Jan 23, 2007
    Oakland, CA
    I don't care what they're called, as long as we can still do the "Camptown Races" chant.