[B]US Soccer Flops on US Supporters for Costa Match?[/B]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by zerkdave, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Mullet&Talon

Mullet&Talon New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the basis for the OP's supposition that USSF is holding tickets back from US fan groups?

2. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's just say that i am temporarily working for the Census....and they seemed to be pretty disappointed with how inaccurate their count was last time, so they are trying a somewhat different method and procedures this time around (not completely or overwhelmingly different, mind you) hoping for a far more accurate count this time....

3. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't really able to understand what he said, but if there's concern about that, please check here:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1168539

4. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me add, when i got the e-mail from US soccer for the one day sale, they included a code for US Supportes and ANOTHER for Costa Rican Supporters:eek: and this is coming from our Federation ?????? they are just whores, no nicer way to put it.
    SUNI GULATI is a whore man

5. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    Seriously? That is sickening.

6. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that is true. Both on sale on the same day. So much for buying a membership.

I just did a check on TicketMaster and I found that there are no more 200-level seats except in the "Costa Rica" fans' section. If you want 300-level seats and you choose "General Fans," you get section 330, but you get 331 if you're Costa Rica fan, which means you're closer to the midfield. When I tried to buy seats in the US section on the pre-sale day, I couldn't even specify 300 section.

It just seems pretty strange to me.

7. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Threadjack continued...

Last census was soooooooooo politicized it was sickening. I'm shocked that it's not getting much attention. Is that the strategery this time around?

8. zerkdave

zerkdave Member

Mar 4, 2005
    Arlington, VA
    That is freaking pathetic. Perfect example. The gist of this whole post was USSF wasn't willing to allow for a large ticket allotment to Sam's Army, Barra Brava, La Norte, Screaming Eagles and American Outlaws. Combine these guys and friends we could have easily pulled down 10K tickets for pure load, coagulated American fan base.

Why? I really don't know, but I think it might come down to money. Whoever made the decision should not make another decision any time or any place around US soccer again.

9. zerkdave

zerkdave Member

Mar 4, 2005
    Arlington, VA
    Based on talking to people who were in or close to the meeting/ticketing process and based on emails received from the Supporter's clubs -- wording like "reduced allocation -- after much bargaining"....

10. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    This is America, a capitalist country. Sunil or whoever would gladly have offered the Supporter's clubs all the tickets they wanted, at an appropriate price. I can't understand why the groups want to be cheap when it comes to actually paying for the ticket, when the true expense is flying around the country to reach a game.

11. obewan

obewan New Member

Jul 24, 2005
    NC
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two things:
    1) You're right...Sunil would gladly have offered the Supporter's clubs all the tickets they wanted...even if they were from Costa Rica. ;)

2) Maybe your post indicates how 'out-of-touch' US Soccer is with its fan base. For those of us who don't fly to games, the real expense is buying the ticket (plus Ticketmaster surcharges).

12. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    1) probably so. I have no problem with that, as everyone should have a fair chance to buy a ticket. I don't like discrimination or reverse discrimination.

2) If you live in DC area and are going to this game, you are being cheap to complain about a few bucks. You'll only have 1 chance every few years to see the US in a meaningful game within driving distance. Same for nearly every city in the country. It's different when you have something like baseball with 82 games a year. A few bucks a game would add up. But if you can't afford this one game, you can't afford to be a sports fan and should work on improving your career situation.

13. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You missed with this one. You say that you don't have to spend money on flying, but still complain about the ticket prices. DC gets plenty of games, whereas NY has not gotten any.

14. mattie g

mattie g Member

Nov 12, 1999
    Northern VA
    I didn't even realize there were seats available on the "TV side" of the sradium. That really pisses me off.

I jumped in on the Visa presale and got stuck in 215. There were no tickets offered on the TV side during that presale - everything was on the quiet side. I made the assumption that the loud/TV side was sold out or that all the tickets there had gone to supporter's groups and/or DCU ticket plan holders (of which I'm one - we sit in 332 - but we saw the e-mail from our ticket rep too late to get our regular tickets).

Stupid assumption on my part. Why would US Soccer have a presale for the crappiest tickets in the stadium? Why make it so that the good tickets on the loud side go up for the general sale, and not before, to those people who are on your mailing list? It makes no sense whatsoever.

15. Mullet&Talon

Mullet&Talon New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sad as it may be here's how I interpret this:

- US Supporters groups tried hard to buy large blocks at a negotiated discount
    - US Soccer knew they could sell the tickets to Ticos without the discount

If this is the case, I think the supporters groups screwed the pooch. This is America after all, money talks.

In any case, I'll be there at full price. Go USA

16. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    from dealing with USSF last time around they were in DC those monkeys literally came to us begging for a display then tried to block us from bringing flagpoles and other stuff into stadium on a game day. Luckily being local I guess we know more stadium people than they do so we brought it in around them but as far as I care they can suck it :D

17. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm sorry, but who the f- are you to pass judgment on your fellow fans like this?

1 person likes this.
  18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Indeed.

We have plenty of issues in American soccer, but when it comes to understanding economic theories and the USSF, we're in good shape.

19. soccerfan

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well we got the Argentina friendly a few years back, that was the best experience i had with a sold out stadium and people actualy chanting USA!

on the other hand attending the Gold Cup Final was a nighmare, i have no idea how 75k mexicans got the tickets and only 2k USA supporters:mad:

20. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    actually Dc and rfk have had far more than their share of national team matches oever the years...

in a sense, they're far more spoiled than deserving of another match...

other places go years without a glimmer of a match...

these folk just cry way too much..

21. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we all know where that attitude has gotten us, economically speaking. :rolleyes:

22. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    I am simply someone who isn't concerned about being "liked" on this board and am more than willing to support unpopular ideas, such as paying a reasonable amount for a ticket to a world cup qualifier.

23. soccerfan

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well soccer game prices are much lower the the other big 5 sports
    a hockey game ticket is double the price of a soccer ticket and way more games ,For me 1 red bull season ticket will cost $750 while a Devils hockey season ticket runs $5,000

For the CR game they have tickets for $35 if one wants to be there and loves the sport that won't stop them and is affordable. But It all depends what are their priorities. One might rather get two movie tickets then go to the game. Or buy their favorite artists CD.

24. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations.

You know there are plenty of people in the world who are smart, and educated, and who work hard, and yet can't afford to go to a soccer game, right? And there are still others who aren't blessed with "intelligence" and who didn't have the opportunity to become "educated" and yet who do all they can to try to leave the world in a better state than the one in which they found it.

Should those two categories of people "work on improving their career situation" because they "can't afford to be...sports fan"?

25. obewan

obewan New Member

Jul 24, 2005
    NC
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2) I don't live in the DC area - it's a six hour drive, and I can't afford to fly. I also have a family size of six, so 6 x whatever I could save per ticket adds up a little more quickly than if I were going by myself. I think several others have covered anything else I might want to say.