Azzurri Euro 2021 squad

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Ofori, May 23, 2020.

1. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    We have a favorable group and all of the first round matches will be played in Rome. There is no excuse to not target the semifinals at a minimum, even if you have sides like France that are more talented.

Ofori repped this.
  2. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I say Italy at minimum should reach last 8 (quarter finals) but the maximum ceiling should be semis.

3. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Italy can win the tournament. Their midfield is among the best in Europe and they are good defensively and well-managed. If Chiesa and Insigne bring their present form, no reason why they can't win. They will not be favorites, but they have an outside chance.

calabrese8 and Ofori repped this.
  4. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Unless you play a 4-4-2 then you can have Insigne with Immobile up front. Do that and you have a pretty formidable 1-2 punch up front with your strike partners.

5. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Insigne isn't good in two striker formations

6. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    They will play a 4-3-3; likely Donnarumma; Florenzi, Bonucci, Acerbi, Spinazzola; Barella, Jorginho, Verratti; Chiesa, Immobile, Insigne, if I had to guess.

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I’m thinking Chiellini will start.

8. Nabolidaboli

Nabolidaboli Member

Sep 7, 2018
    They’re unquestionably going to play a 4-3-3. The right back will tuck in and play almost like a CB and the left back will bomb down the wings. At least against teams they think they should beat.

9. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In that case then I’d prob prefer di Lorenzo to florenzi. For me he’s better in the back.
    Def a strength of ours having the LB like that… Insigne one of the best in world linking with an overlapping back

10. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Lots of people saying semis is the ceiling but honestly if we can make the semis I don't see a reason why we couldn't make a final or even win the entire thing

11. Non Venite in Puglia

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 26, 2021
    #111 Non Venite in Puglia, May 27, 2021
    Last edited: May 27, 2021
    I would agree. Once you get to the Semi-Final/Final stages of a tournament, anything can happen. If you’re going to go out on a limb and say a Semi-Final is the ceiling for this team, then you’re pretty much saying Italy is one of the few sides that could lift the trophy at the end. Not every side’s “ceiling” is a Semi-Final.

That being said, there seems to be a consensus on the 22-23 players that Mancini would’ve likely picked under normal circumstances. I’m interested to see who the three reinforcements will be that otherwise wouldn’t have made Mancini’s 23 man squad. My guesses are:

(1) Toloi - I would really like to see Mancini, as I think it would be a great experience for him and beneficial to Italy moving forward, but I think Toloi will get the nod instead. Both are comfortable in positions other than CB, but Toloi can play as a non-traditional RB that tucks in to the RCB position, allowing our more attacking fullbacks (i.e., Spinazzola or Emerson) to attack freely down the left flank.

(2) Pessina - I think he offers more of an offensive option in midfield than Cristante can provide. Both are versatile and can cover multiple positions, but I think there is enough coverage at CB, so Cristante’s ability to play in the back is less valuable than Pessina’s ability to play further up the pitch at this point.

(3) Politano - Going with heart and hopeful thinking over likelihood of being right here. I think Politano had a great second half of the season and can offer a real attacking threat off the bench with his directness and ability to dribble passed defenders. Unfortunately, Bernardeschi is a real possibility here though.

CONSENSUS 23

1) Donnarumma; 2) Sirigu; 3) Cragno

4) Florenzi; 5) Di Lorenzo; 6) Bonucci; 7) Chiellini; 8) Acerbi; 9) Bastoni; 10) Spinazzola; 11) Emerson

12) Verratti; 13) Jorginho; 14) Barella; 15) Locatelli; 16) Sensi; 17) Pellegrini

18) Insigne; 19) Immobile; 20) Berardi; 21) Chiesa; 22) Belotti; 23) Kean

Ofori repped this.
  12. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think we might see a surprise like a Raspadori included as one of the extra 3. With Mancini signed on for 4 more years… why not see what the kid has looking to WC2022 (basically a freebie to get a young player experience)

13. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    With this 23 Italy could easily win EURO

14. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    I like the whole Italy fly under the radar thing. The fact that you have other teams considered more likely favorites to lift the trophy (and justifiably so based on talent and recent performances) may have some underestimating us in the latter stages.

calabrese8 repped this.
  15. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Chances are Italy play England in the quarter-finals. England are among my favorites to win the tournament. I'm scratching my head as to why Mancini won't look at Ogbonna given how well he has done at West Ham. Chiellini is starting to remind me of Cannavaro in 2010.

Ofori repped this.
  16. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Chiellini is turning 37 this year or he's already 37...either way I think this tournament will most likely be his last for Italy

17. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    He says he wants to continue at Juventus, but I don't think they plan to keep him in the squad. These next few games for Italy may be his last as a player.

18. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    while I believe Chiellini is still better than Ogbonna... i won't touch on that. I can def say that i know Acerbi and Bastoni are better LCB options than Ogbonna. No need for him.

and bring on the english.. i would absolutely love to play them. we'll eat their midfield alive and their defence is shaky at best.

19. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Italy's biggest threats in their group at least right now are Switzerland and Turkey. I mean Wales had a Cinderella run in 2016 but I wonder if that is even the same Welsh team as what it was 5 years ago. Turkey are also becoming resurgent but then Switzerland still have Xhaka, Dzemali and Shaqiri and their goalkeeper Sommer.

20. Hulk_Hogan_Italia

AC Milan
    Italy
    Aug 17, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Does anyone know where to stream the San Marino game? I know they are fielding their B squad tomorrow.

21. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    I made a mistake. Italy are likely to play Belgium, not England in the quarters.

Ogbonna is a big reason West Ham almost made the UCL. If he wasn't injured, I'm almost certain they would have finished top four. Ask any Hammers fan and they'll tell you that.

Between Rice, Madison, Grealish, Mount, Henderson, Philips... it's not going to be a picnic taking on that England midfield. England can afford to start the tournament slow and are playing at home for almost every game. They look very strong.

22. Non Venite in Puglia

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 26, 2021
    That’s right. If Italy finish first in the group, they will likely play Ukraine (possibly Austria) in the Round of 16. Should Italy win that, they will likely play Belgium in the Quarterfinals. A win there and France likely awaits in the Semi-Finals.

If Italy finish second in the group, they will likely play Denmark/Russia in the Round of 16. This scenario would likely leave them on the same side of the KO round bracket as Germany, Portugal, Spain, Netherlands, and England. Not ideal.

23. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I fear none of those mids.

grealish is more a winger than mid and sure he’s got some flash but he’s a chronic diver and gets the premier league media hype / overrated and is coming into the tournament not fully fit.

Other than beating Belgium one of the nations league meetings.. when has England last beat a top nation?

their World Cup semifinals they basically played nobody until Croatia knocked them out.. cause.. again their midfield got run over like always

24. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    exhibit A: someone find something special in this highlight clip… I just see an average player at best. Prem over hype at its finest

1397166426851614722 is not a valid tweet id

25. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Italy I can definitely see them topping the group