Aztex moving to Orlando in 2011?

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by stevebeau, Oct 22, 2010.

1. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Thanks for the laugh. I needed it.

2. Barbaro

Barbaro Member

Roma
    United States
    May 3, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Press release this morning:

USL ORLANDO TO UNVEIL TEAM NAME, HEAD COACH,
    AND OWNERSHIP DETAILS MONDAY

When: Monday, October 25th, 2010, 2pm

Where: Crowne Plaza Hotel
    Main Ball Room (1st Floor)
    Downtown Orlando
    304 W. Colonial Drive

What: USL Orlando will unveil their new team name, head coach, and will also
    detail the make-up of the clubs majority ownership group

Details: Steve Donner and Phil Rawlins from Orlando Sports Holdings will be on
    hand to announce news that will change the soccer and professional
    sports landscapes of the City of Orlando. Also on hand will be the
    club’s first head coach.

Following the announcement, a general question and answer session
    will take place. All three gentlemen will be available for 1-on-1
    interviews and photos at the conclusion of the general session.

3. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I heard back from someone on the inside. It is indeed over. Apparently this was a make or break year, and House Park needed to be filled most of the time to make it work.

I'm really sad about it. I am feeling like Matt is feeling -- I won't be interested in supporting another Austin team for a long time.

For me and my kids, I guess we'll have to make due with a couple of Dynamo games a year. Very sad. Especially since I can't see Orlando as a preferable alternative, but that's another story.

4. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another rumor that I've heard, again from someone who's been dead on so far, Adrian Heath will be Orlando for this announcement. My conclusion is that he will be the first manager.

*#@!

5. Blackburn

Blackburn New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it was a make-or-break year then:

1) Why was the marketing so non-existent?
    2) Why did the coaches show move seemingly at random and without notice to the fans?
    3) As I keep harping - the economics of D2 were well known going in. We grew in attendance 25%. Did Phil think we were going to double attendance this year? If so, why?

6. Blackburn

Blackburn New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's under contract... Given that he had to have turned down other gigs to stay with the Aztex, and those teams have now filled their positions, I doubt he had much option.

7. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I can say at this point is "What a fecking deluded idiot Phil was."

Oh, and to Orlando, don't trust him for a moment.

8. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't get me wrong, I am all about "taking care of the family", which is true. However, I'd hoped that if he wasn't going to coach in Austin, he'd join an MLS side.

9. CR#7

CR#7 New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Beaumont
    I believe that is the reason he signed for another season in that he already knew. Plus, I think this might be the first time he had been with a club for more than a year at a time, so maybe his choices are much more limited than you would like to think.

10. JustinR1015

JustinR1015 Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Aztex are indeed leaving, this is spot on. What were the expectations? Why were they this way? I think the Aztex have shown reasonable growth and uptake in the community. It seems like they really weren't given enough time to grow.

The only part I don't understand is why sign a stadium deal for 3 years? Maybe there is no penalty for vacating the deal. There is only the following termination language in the contract, "10. Termination. AISD and User may terminate this agreement at any time upon breach, by Use, of any part of this agreement."

11. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because, just like every other fool before him, he thought "soccer's ripe for instantaneous gold!" No god-damned long term plan, despite all his comments.

Jezus fecking christ.

I get more and more pissed by the minute.

I am really looking forward to venting, drinking and crying with you guys tonight.

12. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kill me now.

As if there isn't more drama in this NASL/USL/USSF mess (but expected):

BREAKING NEWS: Rhinos return to USL, will play in ‘Pro League’ in 2011

13. Real_Madrid1006

Real_Madrid1006 New Member

Jan 31, 2008
    austin
    Say what you want about me, but I told you all was not what it seemed when this first came around and I told you you would be disgusted if you knew the underhandness that was used to bring this around. There is one person to blame for soccer not being a mainstay in Austin and it isn't Phil.

I will do my due diligence to make sure this guy has nothing to do with a team before I ever support them. I only hope Austin can get some decent soccer with people who really care and give their best and that those with thoughts of grandeur will leave them alone unless they plan on staying for a very long time.

All I can say is Karma is a biotch and I am sorry that fans of the sport were caught up in it.

14. Blackburn

Blackburn New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wondered when you'd come around here gloating.

So tell us, then, what person is to blame for this if not Phil?

15. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    This is a tough time for a lot of us. Could you please either say who or what you are talking about with specifics, or save it until after we've had some time to process this?

16. CJBinATX

CJBinATX New Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1a) Why was the mainstream media outreach so non-existent?

17. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You having to come to our forum at this time of day pretty sums up your character...or lack off.

At least our effort & dedication to support a local team here is 100x greater than your effort to criticizes around the Big Soccer forum. Action speaks louder than words.

You stay classy RM1006.

18. Real_Madrid1006

Jan 31, 2008
    austin
    I am not gloating. I honestly am sorry that things didn't work out. I know a lot of you put in a lot of time trying to make a go of the team. I remember that happening with a lot of us with the Posse and I know how that felt. At least the Aztex aren't that kind of mess and have class.

19. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    To whom were you referring when you implied someone outside the Aztex sabotaged them?

20. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn. Very sorry for you guys.

I have an uneasy feeling that us fans in South Florida may be in trouble too. NASL has a shaky at best outlook to be sanctioned and I doubt Traffic crawls back to USL.

Dammit being a D2 supporter is tough.

22. Real_Madrid1006

Jan 31, 2008
    austin
    Just as classy as you Native Texan. I said I was sorry. Maybe the 'I told you so' attitude isn't appropriate at this time and I do apologize for starting it off that way.

But, you all pretty much acted like I had no clue and I was just saying I did and do have much more of a clue than most of you can imagine.

So once again sorry about your team, but I am not saying much more than most of you are. The team is leaving and the departure and what was said in the past year just don't add up to what is going on now.

Hopefully someone with huge connections and a desire to see Austin have a great soccer team will come along.

23. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at RM's past posts, he's said before that he doesn't like Bobby Murphy. I don't know why, and I don't know how an assistant coach could be possible for this kind of business decision.

24. CagedMonky

CagedMonky Member

Jul 25, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    We mourn for you here in San Antonio. Terrible News.

25. CheeseAndOatcakes

CheeseAndOatcakes New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Chaps,

I've just read the news. I'm sorry for how all of this turned out as you all seem to me to be fans in the truest sense and people Stoke fans would consider part of the family with your loyal support of the Aztexs and Stoke.

All the best,
    Lee.