Azteca, post game [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by jamison, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Milosartisian

Milosartisian Member

Sep 18, 2005
    SC Bozeman, I am Mexican and I don’t like to get out of the stadium with my shirt wet because somebody just threw beer. The fact is, that people celebrate that way in Mexico, actually in some stadiums (ie. Juarez) is just a custom to do exactly that, and people enjoy it. You could say that it ephitomizes the mexican culture or whatever, but the fact is that people just do it for fun and is harmless. Now if somebody goes directly to you and throws you a beer or something that´s a direct confrontation and the police should intervene (I also have seen that).

Said that, you were here to live a different experience in a somehow "safe" experience. Because as opposite to other parts in the world, people do not carry guns or knives to the stadium (i.e. Argentina, Brazil). I went to a Boca-River with a River shirt and it was a mistake, people would thrown me mustard and stuff and a guy wanted to beat the #$%$ out of me. You didn´t experience that in Mexico.

All in, I am pretty sure that you would recall in the future this experience fondly and I am glad that you somehow experienced the passion that just soccer (futbol) can create.

Regards

2. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attending this match would have been nice as I look forward to it so much, but my present situation did not allow for it.

I had attended the 2001 and 2005 US vs. Mexico qualifying matches and had seen some of the things experienced here. However, my experience before was not as bad as the crap being hurled at fans walking out of the stadium in the you tube videos posted. This is something that the USSF needs to step in and take care by protesting to FIFA. There is no way to rationalize the behavior of the Mexican fans here. Call it passion or whatever else, it is still a reflection on every Mexican. Trying to say but this is done in Argentina or Italy or the Ivory Coast is a joke, as it has absolutely nothing to do with what happened at Azteca.

Eating at a freaking Macas isn't the end of the world. I'll eat at one when I'm pinched for time, so I don't see an issue with dirk jamming into one for a quick snack. As to why this has even become an issue is just laughable. When I lived in Mexico there were some authentic Mexican places I wouldn't go back to, so don't make it out like this was the end all be of food. As for tasting like others around the world, I would say they are close especially the Coca Cola and fries.

3. Dantezo

Dantezo Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Jeonju, S. Korea
    Not on anything Mexican, my reaction is against classless fans and players. If you were one of the fans throwing crap, ice and urine bags to women or me at a game, my natural reaction would be to go against you – were you one of them?

LOL, get your fearful politically correct blinders off and grow a pair. First of all Mexican is not a race. Second, I am not lumping all fans together, “dirty Mexican’ts “ or better yet simply “Mexican’ts” ;) on these boards means the dirty classless Mexican fans, not the rest of them.

Haha, and then you talk about xenophobia and generalize the whole country, boy you are a piece of sissy work – read what I said and my previous posts. It’s all about hating the classless mexican’t fans and players. Oh I know, just like you, you want us to then ad a little saying after that comment like “Oh but the rest of Mexico and fans are fine” – no one is talking about them.

4. rabble-rabble

rabble-rabble Member

Jul 26, 2004
    West Jordan, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sad that passion to support one's team has to get ugly like this. I've seen a few morons at local college pointy-ball games act in an unsporting manner but nothing like what is described here. God only knows how they would have acted if the home team hadn't won.

I presume that many of the local fans down there acted in a civil manner, but it sounds like a lot of them didn't which is a sad reflection on their culture.

If I end up sitting next to an El Salvadoran fan in Rio Tinto in a few weeks, I'll shake their hand and hopefully make a new friend of a fellow soccer fan (and I will have their back if any USA fan gets overly agressive.)

5. Milosartisian

Milosartisian Member

Sep 18, 2005
    There were not visible aggressions, just people throwing empty carton/was glasses.
    So now, FIFA has to make a statement that fans should behave in a way that suits American fans, come on! This is the beauty of the sport, I believe that if people don’t take it personal (that in Mexico they don’t, they care about the game, but it is not personal), then it is fine.

PS: BTW, nobody throws urine, is always beer. The thing about urine is just a urban myth.

6. socluis90

socluis90 Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no its not. there was definitely piss flying around.

7. Milosartisian

Milosartisian Member

Sep 18, 2005
    Nahh!, it was just warm "Sol" beer. It sucks when is warm (and for my taste when it is cold also)

8. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if I throw something in your direction and it hits you is it not an aggressive act? Keep on rationalizing it because the more you hold to this belief the silly you appear. It isn't for American fans, it's for all fans you tool. Nobody should be subjected to having a battery, stone, glass bottle, or any other crap thrown on them when attending a match. If this was the other way around and visiting fans were treated this way in the US there would be an uproar too. Please stop rationalizing crappy behavior.

9. socluis90

socluis90 Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, really hot beer that just happens to smell like piss.:rolleyes:

10. vikingdrewby

vikingdrewby New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  11. vikingdrewby

vikingdrewby New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    hey, new to the forum so can't yet post new threads, so sorry this is off-topic, but i was at the game wednesday and living in Mexico City now, i wrote an article about American fans at the game and i thought you guys might like reading it, it got published today it my hometown paper in the suburbs of chicago

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/napervillesun/sports/1716120,6_2_NA14_SOCCER_S1-090814.article

----

and here's my fan photo album (camera died before we got into the stadium :() .... http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2034363&id=67601934&l=7ff060c188

12. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It also happens to be the Mississippi State flag and the gentleman happened to be from there.

Unsurprisingly he did take shit for it form some of the other US fans.

13. anazarn

anazarn Member

May 27, 2008
    El Paso
    Club:
    CF Indios de Ciudad Juárez
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apologies then, that's what I was told when I asked about it (Something along the lines of "A confederate flag, are you ********ing kidding me?)

Still thought it was totally wrong thing to do in either case.

I had a great time (even with he totally classless behavior) and can't wait to do it again. Nice to see some of the people I met from places other than NYC on the boards including the LA guys and Dr. and Kid Detroit.

15. Sebring98

Sebring98 Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Lansdale, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guessing Ole Miss, if he's from a university in Mississippi.

16. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, not the Mississippi flag as noted above. There was a Texas flag in the video and also the rebel flag.

17. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    First, thank you for the measured and intelligent reply. I believe that this is how boards work best, and I appreciate your effort.

I think Americans can understand some excited beer spilling; it's the bodily fluids, rocks, coins and bottles. It's not harmless.

By the way, you might have seen a post from America's premier soccer writer, Grant Wahl, about his experience at the game: "To the Mexican guy who dumped beer on my laptop and gave me double-middle-fingers three feet in front of my face: Yo amo tu pais. Es una tierra muy linda con gente amable. Entonces: ¿Por qué eres tan mal anfitrión? Cuando los equipos juegan en los EEUU eso no pasa."

(http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/grant_wahl/08/12/usa.mexico/index.html)

I'm guessing he was in the press section, this still happened and I doubt there were any repercussions whatsoever. To imagine that happening in, say, the UK is unbelievable. The fan literally would've found himself in handcuffs.

First, the fact that it's worse somewhere else doesn't excuse rude and downright dangerous behavior.

Second, I've been to Boca-River too, and it wasn't a problem, but then it was at La Bombonera and I was wearing blue. The point is, of course, that at Boca, there was an entire section cleared out to make sure the fans couldn't get to one another. The home fans were also held back for about 45 minutes so River could clear out. Only the fans that wanted to fight were fighting.

18. Jboc15

Jboc15 New Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Detroit

Yeah, we bought every paper with a Mexican player on it to see if I was in any of them and then saw I was in the Record and bout like five of them. It's pretty cool.

Oh and best part after the game was, the jaguar says..............

19. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    It is true, we Americans just don't understand "futbol passion":

"MEXICO CITY – The man with the tri-colored mohawk took a swig of beer, stuck his fingers down his throat and vomited the mixture back into his cup. In the next seat another man, who was wearing a T-shirt with a cartoon drawing of the decapitated heads of Barack Obama and Landon Donovan, poured out what remained of the Corona beer he had been chugging and urinated into his cardboard drinks container.

Then, according to a neutral bystander who witnessed these disgusting acts, the pair stood on their seats, high-fived and hurled their vile concoctions in the direction of Donovan, the United States men’s national team star who was preparing to take a corner kick 15 yards away.

Welcome to the Estadio Azteca, where allegedly projecting bodily fluids at another human being is acceptable in the name of soccer fanaticism."

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=ro-usamexico081209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

20. Vegalta_Sendai

Feb 14, 2000
    Santa Clara, CA, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I went in 2001, there were only about 150 of us in total, if that. There looked to be way more than that this year. Any estimate on how many fans went? It seems to be increasing every time. I would've gone if I hadn't just taken my vacation time in June. Hope to be there in 2013.

21. parismatch

parismatch Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Mexico City
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I completely agree with this post. I think some Mexican fans took things to another level on Wednesday and something should be done about it. I remember 5 or 6 years ago violent behavior at Mexican stadiums started to become routine (not that all people would get involved of course, but there would always be a small group of boneheads that would start a fight at every single game) to the point that families stopped going to stadiums. FMF coordinated a campaign with the local police of a few cities to encourage people to denounce these chimps, and they also placed cameras to identify offenders. After a few months (and a bunch of arrests) things went back to normal.

As a Mexican, I honestly think it's time they do the same to stop the kind of behavior we saw on Wednesday. It's simply inexcusable. As much as I dislike Landon Donovan, the picture of him in the cornerkick in the middle of glasses, bottles, etc. is simply a disgrace to futbol. And it is not about passion, I won't buy that crap. I'm truly sorry that some US fans had to endure this kind of treatment, but hopefully outside the stadium they were well treated by real Mexicans.

22. PAcevesMX

PAcevesMX Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    This post wins the thread. I was about to post the same thing.

American fans that were in Mexico City for the game, FTW!

The rest who weren't and use beer slinging as an excuse to call a whole nation classless, GO F YOURSELVES!

23. Barracudas

Barracudas Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a lot worse at the LA Coliseum...

24. socluis90

socluis90 Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. EVERY SINGLE MEXICAN I met outside of the stadium was cool as hell. They were all about having fun. I will do the whole trip again in a heartbeat.

25. ap_jag15

ap_jag15 New Member

May 27, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Paris, well said! We U.S.A. supporters that were there had a blast! My son had a hugh Red Sombrero on and most of the mexican fans loved it and wanted Pics with him. There are bad apples in every crowd! We just happen to be sitting by all of them, lol. Passion is what you make of it. Hell we got a paddy wagon ride after the game on there peso's.....So thanks for the taxes you pay, and the free ride....
    I can say for a fact , I saw many U.S. supporters thank hard working and in the line of fire the many thousands of Police that made us safe.
    Things I saw hit my fellow American's......Beer, ice, empty cups wadded up, horns, rocks, batteries, half a sandwich,coins, ramen noodles yes thats right ramen noodles......and FOR SURE PISS---- NOT A MYTH!

Those who went.......THE 500.....Well done ! Those who didnt, why didnt you?

See you in 4 years......Parismatch......DR DETROIT !