AZTEC SOL: Need Help!

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by aztecsol1, Nov 1, 2004.

1. aztecsol1

aztecsol1 New Member

Jan 19, 2003
    First of all I would like to say thanks you for coming out to Aztec Sol and veiwing the game. I Hope that every thing was Good.

Now to the part of the Need Help.

Please give your comments and suggestions. Please don't hold back, becouse if you don't say, I don't do.
    Thanks a Mill

Francisco
    Aztec Sol.

2. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Francisco, you have a great bar. Thanks for being soccer friendly and showing games. I didn't make it this weekend, but I was there for the US National team game a month ago. Here are some of my thoughts.

-Advertise. You know where the soccer fans hang out on-line, you have a captive audience. Tell us when you're going to be showing a game, what games are on, what your specials are, etc. We like your bar and will come, just tell us when you're doing something soccer related.
    -Game Focus. Have the major game you're showing and focusing on be on the big screen with sound. During the US National game we had to request the game sound after about 10 minutes of play.
    -Taco Bar. Have the taco bar open during all of your soccer parties, I love it! :)
    -Work with the Rapids. I know there were about 4 or 5 Rapids staff members at the US National game when I was there. You're obviously the choice bar for soccer in Denver. Exploit that relationship. Get to the point with the team where they want to have the "official" viewing parties at Aztec Sol. If you host every away game (if they're on tv) you'll get a full house on a regular basis.

I'll be moving to your neighborhood in December, so I'll be sure to keep coming by. Just let us know what is going on.

Thanks for being the premier soccer bar in Denver!

3. fatmaradona

fatmaradona New Member

Dec 15, 2002
    the Anschutz ranch
    advertise here when you are showing a game, in particular when you are showing the Nats and they are not on regular TV. I know I'll come down and I have a big belly which needs plenty of beer/tacos to get full.

4. Slim 7

Slim 7 New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Great food, great TV. I'll be there for any away game that you can show. Thanks, man!

5. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    Communication is key. Just let us know what you're showing and when, and people will show up.

6. Ferris Bueller

Nov 21, 2003

Sounds like a plan. If it is good for the game, let us know how we can help.

7. black&blue boy

black&blue boy New Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Denver
    I agree with the posts above the food is good,prices are great, the atmosphere is fun. My wife loves the salsa and the New Castle, but she wouldn't mind Guinness. If you let us know when you are going to televise games, via bigsoccer, we will attend.

8. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Aztec Sol would do well to keep in mind that a SIGNIFICANT number of MLS and USA supporters in the area interested in viewing parties have never even heard of BigSoccer.

To that end, if Aztec Sol wants to attract many more soccer followers, I would recommend the following:

1. A website listing upcoming games (and times) that will be shown at Aztec Sol

2. An email list for announcements

3. A phone line (or answering service) that has an outgoing message stating the upcoming games for the week.

4. Encouraging word-of-mouth education by offering special discounts to volunteers who help spread the word via modern grassroots methods

9. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Greenie, you think of everything.

10. Gemmell

Gemmell New Member

May 10, 2003
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Do any of you guys know if Aztec will be showing the DC united vs Revs game on Saturday? I am going to be in town to go to a Broncos game and would like to go to a good footie bar, and this seems to be the bext one from what I can find on your boards. If nobody knows I guess I will try to call Saturday to find out.

11. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they have Fox Sports World so they should be able to show it.

12. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO

Maybe checking with the Rapids on working out an advertisement deal where the Rapids annouce at all home games that all away games will have a viewing party at your place ... and negotiating with them to make it affordable and worthwhile to you.

13. Bilbo

Bilbo New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Box under I-25/ I-70
    Yes, set something up through the Rapids because they already have the e-mail lists and can advertise it for you. It's a win-win situation.

14. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Well, yes and no. I know a lot of people -- both in our little on-line community here as well as off -- that have become less than enthusiastic about "official" Rapids things over the years. Many people think that if the Rapids are involved, it's either a sales pitch or an afterthought (or both).

It should also be noted that according to Aztec Sol (in another thread), they had made it very clear to the Rapids that they would be willing to show the game on the big screen... but the Rapids decided not to have an "official" viewing party there. My guess is they wanted something out of Aztec Sol in return. What I do know is I received a significant number of emails from fans who were looking for a place to watch the game after their sales rep said they were "not aware of any bar that would show it." A few days before the game, RFO did post on this board that they wouldn't have an official party but would help "direct fans to places that might show it." Or something like that.

This isn't to say that partnering with the Rapids would be a bad idea; it would certainly get the word out to a lot of people.

However, partnering with the Rapids means being closely associated with them, and puts forth the risk of generating a dependency on the team's actions and decisions.

15. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO

Good point ... perhaps you could get permission to hand out flyers at the games?

16. askum33

askum33 New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Yeah, on good sturdy papoer stock that could be yellow/red cards for us to show during the game, (kids would hold on to them for sure), or a folding flyer that opens to look like a "10" for when the divers come to town.

17. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or that can be made into paper airplane missles to throw at the refs. :)

18. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You wouldn't even need permision if you handed them out in the parking lot either pre or post game. Get something put together and I could probably be talked into helping you hand them out at tailgates along some other posters.

19. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, walking the lot before a game would be a really good way to get your name out there. Just go up to one of the larger tailgate groups.