AZ United General News and Information Thread

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising FC' started by kenntomasch, Mar 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does help to have someone screw it up before you, obviously. :)

Lobos4Sale repped this.
  2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No where to go but UP!

3. ohthatsbrian

ohthatsbrian New Member

May 18, 2011
    Chandler, AZ
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    i agree that Sun Devil Stadium was a great location, but ASU screwed PFC over with the costs of playing there. from what i understand, ASU likes to do that with their facilities. yes, at the end of the day the "geniuses" that ran PFC agreed to the contract, but i think Eng and Co of AZ Utd would be wise to find a more financially viable location in 2015 if they don't want to continue using PSC.

i too like that right now the new owners are trying to keep it simple and just get a good product on the pitch. they have such a tiny window to get everything together that they must be working OT so it will work. i'm excited for this season again and i'm excited to find out what lies ahead for us.

4. Justin Z

Justin Z Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Club:
    Heart of Midlothian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, I don't believe that's the case. The single largest unaccounted-for expense as I understood it was the rented seats from the Phoenix Open, which Tim Thomas originally claimed were bought and paid for. The fact that they had to keep paying for them every month, rather than just once, killed any chance at profitability.

Either that or I completely flummoxed that up.

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As you mention, someone on Thomas & Company's end actually signed the deal (and rented the seating), probably believing in all those sellouts that were just going to magically happen.

Though I have a hard time believing the cost to rent the seats from mid-March (when they went in) to early July (when they came out) was the same as it would have been to buy them. Nor do I think that's what put them under. They were underfinanced from the start, overestimated how much revenue they would generate, and just generally operated under some bad assumptions.

None of us knows the financial viability in Peoria because we don't know the terms of the deal. With everything coming together so quickly here, this may not be a fair test of the location itself.

But I think anyone involved would agree that a revenue-friendly and spectator-appropriate soccer venue would be paramount going forward for any club wanting to be successful.

6. gilmoreaz

gilmoreaz Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Peoria, Arizona
    Arizona Soccer Fans,

As we await the mods to approve our new user account so we can post, I thought I'd get the ball rolling here!

Arizona United was born last week and we are working VERY hard to provide soccer fans in Arizona an organization that you deserve!

At this moment, the website is under construction, a search for a head coach and players is well underway and ticket prices and ordering information should be available this week!

As you can imagine, we have a lot of work to do and are up for the task. Please be patient and hang in there, great things are ahead!

We want to here from you... What questions do you have? Fire away and I will reply!

Ron Gilmore
    Director of Operations
    Arizona United Soccer Club

7. Lobos4Sale

Lobos4Sale Member

Mar 6, 2014
    Club:
    Phoenix Monsoon
    Ron,

Your group has communicated more in the last week than Phoenix FC did in the last 18 months. Thank you. Customer service goes a long way. We know there will be bumps, but they are easier to take when the team you are paying to watch acts like they care that you are there.

Good job so far.

8. gilmoreaz

gilmoreaz Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Peoria, Arizona
    Thanks! We have a lot of work to do and a short time to get there. With that said, it is our duty to communicate with our clients. Clients as in fans like you! Looking forward to seeing you at a game!

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colorado game scrubbed. Will be rescheduled against Seattle, apparently. That takes some of the pressure off.

So April 12 against OKC it is.

10. azjohnnymac

azjohnnymac Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Arizona
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    USL has confirmed August 25th in Seattle as the replacement

11. Lobos4Sale

Lobos4Sale Member

Mar 6, 2014
    Club:
    Phoenix Monsoon
    Ticket pricing is live. Big improvement.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Single game:
    $29 sideline, lower
    $23 sideline, upper
    $16 corner flag + behind goal
    $13 supporters (also behind goal)
    $7 lawn (which is nice - couldn't believe they wouldn't use the lawn, though it may be a ways away.)

I do not believe the field is that actual size in relation to the stands. USL Pro Media Guide lists it as 68 x 110, by the way.

13. PTFCfan

PTFCfan Member

Mar 25, 2014
    Portland, OR, USA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if you guys played at Desert Vista High School stadium, I know it is probably out of the question but I'm just giving a suggestion ;)

14. yojimbo81

yojimbo81 Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've started to make the calls for official season ticket purchases today. With my refund from PSC for the PFC tickets I was able to buy my Arizona United tickets. Same price.

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    17 days out. Crunch time now.

16. yojimbo81

yojimbo81 Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, this season is going to be rough. I can't imagine they will be able to assemble a squad that can work as a cohesive unit in such a short span of time.

17. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luckily it's not how you start, it's how you finish.

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weren't most PFC players practicing with the team this off-season? I thought most of them would re-sign with AZU.

Coach?

19. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing some will, because beggars can't be choosers (on either side of the equation), but it apparently has not happened yet.

Not yet. Was supposed to happen last week. Had better happen quickly. The original name I heard would be pretty much a coup and would give some instant credibility. But I don't know who they'll name. One would think they should do it soon, yeah?

20. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This link was already posted in the post directly above yours. I know you think that you are providing some sort of public service by posting all your great finds, but in reality it has the opposite effect.

Now that all the euphoria over the new ownership is starting to subside, I'm getting nervous that they won't be able to get the team together in time. Even if they do, I'm guessing things will be ugly on the field at the beginning of the season.

kenntomasch repped this.
  21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh no problem Matt, I deleted my post...thanks. Marc

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Realistically, anyone with a clue has to understand that this is all ( a ) going to be a challenge to pull together given the very short time period and ( b ) still cause for more optimism than the previous regime.

23. azjohnnymac

azjohnnymac Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Arizona
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Its going to be a roller coaster year, but we are going to have a great time. The most important thing is we have a team and an ownership group that will build on this and move it forward.

24. mscSoccerfan

mscSoccerfan New Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is on AZ United's webpage under tweets:

"Kyle Eng ‏@kyledeng 1h

We are announcing the head coach of @AZUnitedSC today! Exciting stuff. Stay tuned."

25. azjohnnymac

azjohnnymac Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Arizona
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    3pm...so only 20 minutes to wait