Axl Rose!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by skipshady, Aug 29, 2002.

1. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Is anyone else watching the VMAs right now?

2. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    What a ripoff!

This is nothing new. Axl has been playing with the "new" GNR for a while now.

What pissed me off was Jimmy Fallon hyping it up. I thought it was an ACTUAL REUNION. Cause surely he cant be that pshyced about seeing fake GNR.

But in the end it wasnt really GNR.

3. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a moment I thought it pretty cool to hear 'Welcome To The Jungle'...

then it sounded to me like his pipes are shot. Or at least he needs to get used to singing in front of thousands again.

My God! He's talking to Kurt Loder and he's actually sounding coherant, sensible, decent. Wow.

4. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    ALSO what was that crap about giving the Hives the "2nd" spot on the stage and Vines the whole f00king stage. Theres no way they shouldve have the biggers stage number one, and 2 they shouldve never been followed by that crap of band that is the Vines.

5. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    Poor delusional Axl...

6. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Him delusional? What about the all the people in the place that went berserk?

7. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    They were cheering for Tommy Stinson's excellent plaid suit.

All kidding aside, that's a killer band he's put together...but cripes, put out a ************ing record or play a new tune or do something interesting.

8. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Yeah, that was disappointing. If that performance proved anything, GNR was lot more than just Axl.

Bastards, for getting me excited for relatively crappy crap.

9. Damon_D.

Damon_D. New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    MD
    That was garbage. Jungle and Paradise City should never be condensed. What a travesty to shorten such classics. Izzy, Slash and Duff must be digusted.

Axl, if you have 6 minutes, play a whole song, not some "Greatest Hits" medley.

The new guys can play those songs too, saw them play at Rio on TV. I like Buckethead, Brain and Tommy Stinson.

I think his "new" voice is as good as ever. Its high without all the old scratchiness.

All the other old members should start a band together and get a new singer, instead of coming out with absolutely NOTHING.

10. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Damon, the other guys have brought out some stuff. Slash had his Snakepit, Izzy's had some solo records, Matt Sorum has been playing with the Cult. I don't know about Duff, but I think you're right that Steven Adler has done nothing since he was kicked out of Guns.

11. NorthGoalGang

NorthGoalGang Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Coventry, CT
    Did anyone run up to the stage, hit Tommy with a bottle, and tell him to join the Mats reunion instead?

I would have.

12. Footix

Footix Member

Dec 11, 1998
    Left Of The Dial
    Someone who I trust once told me what Axl pays Tommy to stick around, and whatever $$$ a 'Mats reunion would pay, it wouldn't come close to Axl's money.

You've gotta love Tommy's resume:
    The Replacements
    Bash & Pop
    Perfect
    Played on Westerberg's "Eventually"
    Played on Puff Daddy's "All About The Benjamins-Rock Remix"
    Played on Cracker's "Gentleman's Blues"
    Guns N Roses

13. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Call me a Jersey homer, but Bruce was the best performance of the night. Hives were very cool, though the side stage thing was just sad.

Axl cannot sing. He can't. Didn't he save some money from the first version of GNR? Hire a vocal coach, or retire to the Caribbean like a good faded rock star, OK?

14. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Wow, they just showed a clip of this performance on MTV Europe. What a freakshow. It was like the lame version of Limp Biscuit - and that's saying something.

15. luxinluv

luxinluv New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Boston,MA
    Axl Rose is eternal. The threat of a new GNR album's upcoming release will hang over our generation's heads for years and years. Not unlike the "new" My Bloody Valentine record that was supposed to come out in '95....then '96....then '97....
    I'll be very surprised if it ever happens. Although the fact that they played the VMAs and are also playing with Weezer in England makes it seem a little more likely.
    Personally I think I'm going to be one of those jaded, "back in the good ol' days" types who longs for the time of Appetite for Destruction. Although he has assembled quite a line up...its just not quite right though..
    Who knows, maybe I'll eat my words.

16. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    You and everyone else.

They may be great musicians, but they belong in someone else's band. This is sacrilegious.

17. NorthGoalGang

NorthGoalGang Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Coventry, CT
    Don't forget Whiskeytown's Insomnia.

Paul told someone that Tommy was getting $2 million. Can't say I'd walk away from that money. But I'd still hit him in the head with a bottle.

He looks a lot like a skinny Bob with the short hair.

18. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    I saw Perfect at South by Southwest in 97 or so in this lame club on 6th St. that normally wasn't a live music venue. There were as many or more of the place's regular crowd of frat kids in there as there were people who actually came to see any of the bands. None of them had any idea who was playing, and they all looked a little annoyed. The band still rocked, though.

19. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That was Tommy Stinson?! Christ, what has this world come to?

Personally, I thought Guns N' Roses were a good band back in the day. But I thought the performance last night bordered on embarrassing. I just wasn't impressed.

20. slipknotter

slipknotter New Member

May 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It seemed like Axl hadn't played those songs in over a decade, he was way off beat in most songs and his band seemed to be more right on than himself.

21. Damon_D.

Damon_D. New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    MD
    No, this band played New Years shows in Vegas in 2001 and 2002. And also Rock in Rio in January 2001, and they've recently played Hong Kong, Japan and England.

I attribute his off timing to the weird truncated versions of the songs they played.