Away to Roda JC Kerkrade

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Clan, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Our final preseason game.
    kick off 5.00 PM BST Saturday.

Gudjohnsen and Zola staying behind to play in a Chelsea 11 playing an exibition game.

Hasselbaink and Cole to start up front against the dutch lads.Not a great team by any standards and spent most of last season avoiding the drop from the eredivise.

2. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    The line up

1 Ed De Goey
    15 Mario Melchiot
    6 Marcel Desailly (c)
    5 Robert Huth
    3 Celestine Babayaro
    7 Enrique De Lucas
    8 Frank Lampard
    17 Manu Petit
    11 Boudewijn Zenden
    9 Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
    10 Carlton Cole

The substitutes are,
    13 Carlo Cudicini, 12 Valerio di Cesare, 14 Joel Kitamirike, 4 Joe Keenan, 16 Robert Wolleaston

Interesting that De Goey gets the nod in the net.
    Willing to bet that the middle of the field will see those four on a pretty regular basis this season.

Front pairing will be interesting to see what it produces.

3. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
  4. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    update

Went down by a goal in the opening minute.

Hasselbaink scores twice to give us the lead.

His first of the pre season ain't they?

5. mst77

mst77 New Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Washington
    where is the match info for today?

can't find it anywhere.

6. mst77

mst77 New Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Washington
    Div One results

Derby and Leicester off to flying starts. I think Derby will be right back up, they have too much young talent to stay down for more than a year or 2.

Also of note, Millwall got stomped and Nottingham Forest lost as well. Both teams have good young central midfielders (Cahill and Prutton) and if they have bad seasons both results/wise and financially, they could be tempted to sell. We don't have the resources now, but come spring maybe it could happen. Alas, I feel I am reading too much into 1 week's results.

7. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
  8. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Too early to say

And pure spec on my part..but thats what rthese boards are about ain't it :)...

I think that if we have or it looks a cert that we have made it to the Champs league we might get some monies released to buy a "player" as in singular.

Also note that the proposed expansion of the UEFA cup into the format of the Champs League is scheduled for next season as well i believe.Therefor even if we exit early we would still have played more matches and thus bring in more money to the coffers.There was much talk about having less teams involved though so maybe it will be harder to get into,but, as long as we hold onto the 4 champs league spot 5th place is still an auto spot for the EPL as i can't see them taking the one guaranteed place of the league.I mean 4 entrants into the CL if the two qualifiers make it tru the third round and no entrants into the UEFA cup just doesn't seem on really.

9. mst77

mst77 New Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Washington
    ok, thanks

looks like 2-2 now. Thats where I was to ctach up on the Italy trip. I guess we should be thankful that there are Blues out there that can watch ChelseaTV and chat on the board at the same time to keep us all in the loop.

Funny thing - the first name I saw on there was someone whose login is "warrens cumming." What a cunning linguist that guy is.

10. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Smacks of the monkee don't it? :D

11. mst77

mst77 New Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Washington
    another good one

Anyone thinking of laughing at Spurs....
    just join the Qu.

12. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Half time

2-2.

At least most of the squad will stay the same as the first half with the limited amount of people brough over.
    I would like to see Cole smash one in, be good for the lads confidence.Could we possible be lucky enough to have another Owen?

13. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Update

3-3

De Lucas.

---------gasp--------- a non striker scores for us.

14. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Full time

3-3.

15. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Match report

Sounds like a cracker.

http://chelsea2.chelseafc.com/news/news_10802_1901.shtml

Defence leting in goals all tru preseason though.
    Crosses again seem to be the bane of our back four, also the "lets give 'em an early lead" policy seems to have reared it's ugly head again.
    Still, Hass scored twice and anytime you go to another ground of a decent outfit, let alone one on the continent, and knock in 3 goals it's an okay day.

16. mst77

mst77 New Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Washington
    Don't worry too much about the back line

De Goey was in goal and Huth started. I think with Carlo between the sticks and Gallas or Terry in Huth's place we will be a solid wall again.

We didn't even see any slagging off of Melchy today. That's unique so far.