Authentic and Replicas

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by casualfan, Aug 13, 2002.

1. casualfan

casualfan New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Can anyone tell me clearly what the differences between a replica and an authentic jersey are? I have a German jersey which cost me an arm and a leg and I can't tell whether it's an authentic or replica.

2. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it cost you an arm and a leg, you'd better damn hope it's authentic.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    1. Manufactured in different factories.

2. Fabric. Authentic have the high tech more expensive fabric.

3. Modern kits are cut differently that a standard sport shirt. Replicas may not have the intricacies of the authentic.

4. Decorative details could be sightly different. Team patch and logos sometimes differ slightly. Strips and piping may be slightly different.

5. Overall quality of the authentic is better.

6. Minor color differences.

7. Replicas just "look like" an authentic.

8. different assembly techniques. Stitching is usually different.

9. Replicas themselves vary greatly. If I buy an Ajax jersey from bigsoccer, and you buy one from kitbag, they may be very different shirts that "look alike". For example Adidas may make their authentics in the Adidas factory in Germany. Farm out the replicas to a factories in China and India. The Chinese factory might use the same pattern as Adidas in Germany, ther factory in India may just do a dye sub over a blank shell. They look alike from 10 meters away.

Next time you're in a pub and Totti misses a sitter and your friend Guiseppe spills his Chianti on you, you'll be glad you got a cheap replica.

4. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    If it's this year's adidas model, then it should have an underlayer, shouldn't it?

5. casualfan

casualfan New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    hahaha i hope so, kaiser if i described the jersey to you would you be able to tell me whether it's an authentic or replica? also which ones usually last longer?

6. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I think so. Kinda like Nike's dual Cool Motion or something.

7. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    For two arms, two legs and you mortgaged your house you could have had Pele's 1970 World Cup Shirt...;)

Only $200,000.00

8. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Authentic and Replicas

theyre not even really sure if its real or not.

9. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Fair warning. I just bought a Large Authentic Jay Heaps Revolution Jersey. I said large. Well apparently Umbro has a different apprehension of the word 'large.' I can get it on, with a bit of work. I have a problem because I own several jerseys. My Garciaparra jersey is an XL (52) and it's roomy, my Ramirez is an L (48) and it fits like a charm. All of my Patriots jerseys are medium, but Adidas considers that to be a 48. And my Ray Bourque jersey is a 48, which CCM calls a large, and it fits the best of all of them. As for my Revs jersey, I'll have to give it to my girlfriend. It'll be perfect for her.

10. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    Yeah, that's a good point. You have to be careful with sizes. I have medium size jerseys that are a bit too big for me and x-larges that barely fit!

11. evilcrossbar

evilcrossbar New Member

Jan 19, 2002
    actually, while some people complain that the official replicas are lesser quality than the authentic shirts, it is important to remember that replicas are designed for the fan to be worn as a regular shirt.

Remember that modern soccer shirts are only designed for limited use (professional teams only use them for one game).

The Adidas WC issue shirts with the underlayer are made of much finer fabric and the meshing on the sides is more delicate. You might remember cases of this stuff ripping during WC games.

Hence I would recomend that people buy the replicas, they're up to 50% cheaper and they'll probably last longer in the washing machine.

12. casualfan

casualfan New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    yes yes good point!! it's still kinda hard to decide though, i really wanna get an authentic german home jersey, but it's gonna cost me 135 EUROS.

13. davindersangha redded

May 28, 2004
    Hi,

I'm one of the only persons to have tracked down some Adidas India football jersey's in home and away colours. I've got around 20 of them and some are already spoken for. My listings are on eBay (run a search for "Adidas India shirt"), but i'm not allowed to openly advertise on the board (but am currently trying to advertise on the site itself).

If you are interested, please contact me directly to get hold of one. As you are probably aware, these shirts are frightningly rare and very difficult to get hold of. As, mentioned I only have 20 of them and once they are gone (depending on how many more people want them), then they could be gone for good.

These are unquestionably the finest Adidas shirts ever produced as they were custom designed by the India manager. Check out the close ups and you will agree.

Price is £39 but I can try and reduce postage depending on which area of the world you are in.

For a close up, check out http://www.sassco.co.uk/shop/india.htm

Regards,

Davinder Sangha davinder.sangha@sassco.co.uk

14. fatdanny99

fatdanny99 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    US
    HAHA