Australian WC bid???

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Korea_Fighting, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I think the number of rotations to Europe in your list is a bit excessive (3 in 5 tournaments, from your analysis) - I believe that Oceania will get a look-in in one of those spots. I wouldn't be too optimistic about 2018, but I think 2022, 2026 or 2030 is a certainty.

It will eventually come around - you have to look at the other relevant factors in terms of ability to host the championships. The Olympics is a good example of how this works - although admittedly Oceania is in more dire straits than this.

When Australia develops a decent domestic league, I think we will be much more attractive prospects. Don't forget USA '94 - the country didn't even have MLS in those days, there were other factors considered aside from footballing prowess. I believe Australia is up to this, as the only real possible candidate from Oceania.

2. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    Trussy, think your calculator can't count in 4's sometimes !!! :D

Realistically, in AUS, never in any of our lifetimes.

3. Trussy in Oz

Trussy in Oz New Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Caesar,

United States of America 250 Million people for World Cup 1994

Australia now 20 Million, there is something about our breeding habits that I or more importantly my wife hasn't heard about, but I do not believe that we have a realistic chance of developing our population sufficiently in time for the World Cup any time soon.

4. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    Trussy,

Didn't stop AUS from running the Olympics (twice) very successfully. How do you figure that AUS' population is a significant determinant for running the footballing WC as successfully ?

5. Trussy in Oz

Trussy in Oz New Member

Mar 23, 2004
    2006 – Europe
    2010 – Africa
    2014 – South America
    2018 - Asia [probably China]
    2022– Europe
    2026 – Asia [probably China]
    2030 – South America [Uruguay]
    2034 –North America
    2038 - Europe

How did I miss that I obviously am on the Maradonda diet of mathematics

6. Trussy in Oz

Trussy in Oz New Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Not the running Andy T., but being a section of the worlds population which consumes sufficient items to justify making the effort to come down here, for a “world” sport.
    We have proved over the years that we can hoist very successful competitions, the Olympics or “world cup” in commonwealth sports such as Rugby Union, League, Cricket or swimming.
    Why is Football not a Commonwealth sport? I don’t know but it would be nice during the Commonwealth games to beat the English at something important, you know that the AFL are relived that its not a commonwealth game.

7. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    THAT is a great question! :D why don't they have that? we could play Canada, South Africa, England, New Zealand, Pakistan, Nigeria, India, Egypt, Scotland, Wales & N Ireland, etc and play great quality games.

8. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I don't think population is too much of a worry. The ratings for WC2002 were enough to show that people here can be interested in football, despite the fact it is not a premier sport. Additionally, events like the Rugby World Cup and the Olympics show that Australians will attend big occassions even if they aren't their usual sporting fare. Compound that with thousands of visitors from Asia... I don't think we'd have trouble filling the stands. Population isn't a major factor.

The biggest concern will be the politicking between the confederations. One possible glimmer of hope is that FIFA sees Asia as the future of football - and a World Cup to Oceania would be a way of working another rotation into the region.

9. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    The Commonwealth Games coincide with World Cup year... imagine the headache trying to get the players, even an u/23 squad.

10. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    For the 2010 Commonwealth Games, awarded a few months ago to New Delhi, India, Football (soccer) was on the proposal of the Hamilton, Ontario bid. It makes little sense for countries where soccer is not a primary sport, as the interest will not be there, lost amongst all the other sports. The generic games like the Olympics have gotten too big, and the tendency now is to reduce the number of sports, especially team sports where there are lots of
    other specialized tournaments.

11. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    Sorry to be the kid who says that the Emperor has no clothes, but there is absolutely no way Uruguay hosts a World Cup of 32 teams, unless it cohosts with one of its bigger neighbours. Uruguay has only one stadium big enough, and it is so old that it would take major renovation to make it suitable:
    http://www.worldstadiums.com/south_america/countries/uruguay.shtml
    Uruguay is the continent's economic basketcase, there is no way they could afford the infrastructure. No sense using it as an example, if it is completely unrealistic. May as well talk about holding it on the moon.

Certainly, FIFA should recognize the fact that 2030 is the Centennial of the World Cup that started in Montevideo (in only one stadium, only 13 teams and only 18 total matches vs 64 these days). This can be done with one Group if it is primarily hosted elsewhere in South America, or if there is separate small friendly tournament as part of pre-WC competition (say Uruguay, Brazil, Mexico and France, the last two playing in the first WC match) or a single commemorative match.

12. Trussy in Oz

Trussy in Oz New Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Beaches,

That’s a very good point, I just suspect that Fifa will find someway, at the expense of some “less important” Confederation.
    If not, then your idea of a Centennial competition sounds interesting, another opportunity for the English to get upset by not being invited, particular if the French were to go.

13. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Well countries that don't play often should try and find some time for the CG's but true it is hard due to a WC year but i am sure something could be arranged. It isn't the international calander that is crowded it is the clubs claiming it is.

but remove qualifiers for a Cweath Games and base 16 teams on FIFA qualifiers like the OFC cup or Euro qualification etc. But the lesser teams like India, Pakistan, Fiji etc sould do something for more games.

14. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Well if we are successful in a Confederations Cup bid, where shall we play them?

I suggest group games in Adelaide & Perth, the final in Sydney/Melbourne, 3rd place in Melbourne/Sydney & Semi finals in Brisbane & someone else :D

15. man rovers

man rovers New Member

May 18, 2004
    England, The Wirral
    sorry people i hope the aussie dont get it cos i will ave to watch the world cup at 1am in the morning
    :mad:

16. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Assuming you are in England (that's your "location"), if you want to watch everything as a repeat then that's your choice. But...

1am your time is 10am here. Most likely the matches here will be set up so England plays late games - 8pm-9pm or so - possibly even later if they play in Perth, which will be lunchtime in England. Maybe some of the quarters etc games will be on 8am or so in the morning - given that the R16 and later will probably be held at 4-00 and 8-00 pm local time.

Just like KJ02 - an Australian world cup means Europe watches it in the morning - but not *that* early (like we do, everything you play is shonwn here at between midnight and 5am)

If you are in the US - well, that's your problem. :)

J

17. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia

quit your bitching about games and time zones. If it is in Oz then tough luck.
    it is how well the games are run, not the time zones.

18. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    It's about bloody time you shared the burden of staying up late for something.

The rest of the world shouldn't have to pander to a bunch of twats (no matter where they exist) who couldn't give an arse about staying up for something they profess to love.

Jeez, how do you like your milk & bickies sweetie ? Warm & sugared ? Served in your snug little bed ???

19. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    lazy poms, all the same. whether they have lived here for 25 plus years (a mate of mine) keeps whinging saying "in London............" i say, "quit ur bitching." :D

we have to get up 1am to watch ur EPL games and european games (euro 2004) so realise that u have to do the same sometime.

20. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    How am I bitching?

J

21. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    JLSA,

:D :D

Friendly fire from GF !!!!

I think I understand where your loyalties lie, but (to paraphrase a well-known tune) are you from the land down-under ???

Cheers.

Andy T.

22. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Yeah. Hell yeah (oops, they were Kiwis).

Did you go to the Turkey game. I did - I was sitting in the row in front of Jennifer Keyte (good to see "celebs" in the cheap seats too - although she had her two kids with her - even she couldn't afford 3 x $97) :)

J

23. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    JLSA,

No I didn't go to the Turkey game (in Sydney). Couldn't afford even the cheap seats.

:(

Cheers.

Andy T.

24. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    A$97.00 for a ticket - you have to be kidding. No wonder the number of people watching the games is so low.

Crowdie

25. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    So I paid $67 (cheap seat) + $7 for ticketing (I got an internet ticket on the morning of the game and you can pay extra not to go to a ticketing agency) + $15 for parking (cheaper if you had more than 2 in the car, but I drove up from home on the day).

Don't know how much food and drinks were - I didn't have any money left to buy anything after that :(

J