Australian WC bid???

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Korea_Fighting, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Korea_Fighting

Korea_Fighting Red Card

Jun 17, 2002
    - Both Korea and Japan qualified for World Cup scence recently
    - Both Korea and Japan built about 18 NEW stadia. Korea built TEN NEW stadia out of which are 8 SOCCER-ONLY STADIA. Japan to a lesser degree.
    - I would think all three countries have economic capability to host World Cup, BUT I don't think Australian economy can handle building at new venues. I mean, are you seriously thinking to get away with using cricket grounds for soccer World Cup???
    - Footballing market in Korea and Japan are significantly larger than Australia.
    - Asian federation is significantly more influential than OFC.
    - Korea has 'rich' footballing history in WC scene. Australia... well...
    - Japan has economic power that is top two in the World. Australia is developed country but compared to Japan in terms of economic influence... well?

I think if Australia ever gets to host the World Cup it won't be at 2.0.1.4 or before. If Australia forces its way too much it may have drastic economic effect on Australian economy. I don't think Australia can realistically host World Cup we've seen in Korea and Japan at the level we've witnessed. Seriously, admit it!!! I don't care what you respond. You know this is the truth. This is just another escape route of Soccer Australia to run away from the REAL issues to be resolved. This is just a stunt act to deviate the attention away from the pathetic state of Australian soccer at present, and perhaps provide unreachable dream to lengthen the office of top heads in SA.

2. LakesidePark

LakesidePark New Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Kanagawa, Japan
    http://www.socceraustralia.com.au/homepage/default.sps

It seems that New South Wales and Victoria want Australia 2014. But what about other states???

UEFA and CONMEBOL are great. You see emerging powers from CAF, AFC, and CONCACAF. Oceania is the last frontier of world football.

I'd love to watch WCQs among Japan, Korea, and Australia, and I want you guys to participate in the World Cup. I really do! Because it's the World Cup! If the event can boost the game in this realm, it must be good for the game. Spreading football worldwide is the primary objective of FIFA, you know.

But can you do it?
    FOX Sports World tells me that Aussie Football and Rugby are hurting the development of Soccer Australia.

3. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Cricket grounds would never be used.
    The playing surface takes years to make perfect.
    Rugby and Aussie Rule grounds would be upgraded and used if anything.

However I agree with you on most things.
    I really don't think it's a good idea to give the cup to Australia for the forseeable future.
    A better first step would be to give the national team chance to prove itself by letting it qualify in the AFC WC process.
    A good showing at a WC (or even qualifying for one) would do wonders for a future bid, by persuading people like me that don't agree with the WC being given to a country simply because it hasn't been there before.

4. Craig the Aussie

Craig the Aussie New Member

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    It ia all just a publicity stunt. There are state elections coming up.

5. sammydog

sammydog Member

Jan 6, 2002
    Newcastle, Australia
    Club:
    Newcastle Jets
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I disagree that the bid is because of state elections coming up. It looks like victoria have been looking at it for a while and have used Sepp Blatters visit for publicity.

Korea_Fighting
    I agree that Soccer Australia runs from the real issues but they have had nothing to do with this bid. I hope that if nothing else this bid forces change with in the organisation.

6. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    How are the ruiling parties doing in the state elections?

7. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The World Cup in Australia might help springboard the games popularity to levels like Japan and Korea (and might even get that league going if they manage to build a few stadiums too)..

I'm all for it. I'd rather Australia get an automatic birth that way, instead of giving Oceania a full spot.

8. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The NSL has some good stadiums. Most of the stadiums that could be used for a World Cup in Australia are already there.

A full spot would only help Oceania. Imagine if a country like Fiji topped the confrence and was told they would have to go into the lion's den to get to the tournament.

That would turn off a lot of supporters.

9. Craig the Aussie

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Few NSL stadia would be of FIFA class. Hindmarsh Stadium in Adelaide & Parramatta Stadium in Sydney (shared with Rugby League) are OK, but their capacities are too small. Lang Park in Brisbane would be probably be all right following renovations.

The existing grounds that could be used would be:

Melboune:
    MCG (Aussie Rules)
    Docklands (Aussie Rules)

Sydney:
    Olympic Stadium (All codes)
    Football Stadium (Rugby League)

Adelaide:
    Football Park (Aussie Rules)

Perth:
    Subiaco Oval (Aussie Rules)

Brisbane:
    ANZ Stadium (Rugby League)
    Lang Park

Canberra:
    Canberra Stadium (Rugby League & Union)

The problem is getting access to the grounds in the middle of the Aussie Rules & Rugby seasons - not just for the duration of the WC, but for 2 months beforehand to prepare the grass to acceptable standard. I can't see other sports just walking away.

It's not gunna happen anyway.

10. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    What about Colonial in Melbourne or the Sydney Cricket Grounds?

11. Craig the Aussie

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Colonial is Docklands (actually it's official name now is TelstraDome, as the Colonial sponsorship was taken out by Telstra).

I hate sponsored names so I try to steer away from them. Otherwise Football Park would be AAMI Stadium, the Olympic Stadium would be Telstra Stadium, Lang Park would be Suncorp Stadium etc

The SCG is Aussie Rules territory, and the Football Stadium next door would be a better venue - same capacity but rectangular rather than round.

12. BrianJ 22

BrianJ 22 New Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Australia
  13. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    OK, here's the point.

Suppose OFC get given a WC spot. Then further suppose that Australia are given a WC to host.
    I know this wouldn't happen at the same WC but...

Oceania would have the automatic host spot (eg 2014), would that result in the rest of the OFC getting no spots whatsoever? (After all Germany's spot in 2006 comes from the UEFA allocation) I doubt it.
    Would they be given a further 0.5 of a spot to placate the rest of the OFC or a full one?
    In which case it's more than likely that both Australia and NZ would be there. 2 teams from Oceania? I can't see many people liking that.

Just a stream of consciousness involving a question at some point.

14. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It would be back to a playoff. As with CONCACAF in 1994 and UEFA in 1986.

15. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    I know this is very old but i want to make a comment on why the Australian bid was a complete failure. The NSW government made a bid and according to FIFA, the whole nation through now the ASA and the Australian government must agree and make a unified bid. 2014 will be in Argentina so they will be hoping for the 2018 cup. I think then it will be Oceania's time to host one with FIFA granting Australia as hosts due to FIFA stating that there will be no joint cups any more.

16. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    Korea_Fighting,

Korea & Japan did not qualify for the WC recently. They were granted admission to the finals as JOINT HOSTS.

In 1974 AUS beat KOREA to get to that WC. How's that for rich footballing history !

You should try hard to use your brain more often !!!

One comment perhaps you should try to absorb - the Sydney 2000 Olympics was bigger than any Football World Cup.

End of story.

Andy T.

17. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    The reality is that by the time the OFC got its chance to host the WC by the rotation system UEFA and SA would revoke the rotation system so that they could host again. The WC is all about the millions it brings to the countries. It has not been about football for a long, long time. A country's footballing history is only of interest to FIFA if it can be converted into dollars.

Crowdie

18. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Yes it is all about the dollars but OFC will at least get 1 then remove the rotation system. in 10 yeas or 15 they will remove it.

19. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    You have more faith than me. I believe that when Blatter is removed the rotation system will go with him. The countries already allocated WCs will get them but unallocated WCs will go back to the old system.

Crowdie

20. CelticOnFire

CelticOnFire New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    London right now
    What months would it be played?

21. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    CelticOnFire

Hopefully in Jan/Feb in the middle of our summer, giving us some home-town advantage !!!

If it were actually to be awarded to somewhere in AUS, then I'd expect it about the same time as the Sydney 2000 Olympics were held (September) or a little earlier, perhaps somewhere between July & August (late winter - early spring).

Seriously though, it'll never happen for two reasons: UEFA & CONMEBOL.

Andy T.

22. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Sydney 2000
    Melbourne 1956
    Cricket World Cup 1992
    Rugby World Cup 2003
    Rugby World 7's
    AFL Grand Final
    Perth, Adelaide & South Melbourne's crowds in the NSL

We have big crowds,great venues that can be adjusted and we have held huge events on a world scale. I suppose Sydney 2000 would be the huge reason to give it to us. I think we can host and i am sure we will in 10 years time, If we make it (we will) to Germany in 2006 and then 2010 then FIFA will see no problem in handing the OFC and Australia the gig.

For Australia i reckon Jan/Feb would be a suitable time or September/October but i would go for an Aussie summer kick off as there will hardly be wheather effects (besides Brisbane) :D

23. Filho do Dragão

Filho do Dragão New Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Uma Nação
    I like Australia hosting a World Cup. The soonest they can is 2018. Brazil has the 2014 WC. So CONMEBOL would be stupid trying to oppose Australia 2018. It's only UEFA that could foul things up. :rolleyes:

24. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    Filho do Dragão,

Do you really think that UEFA will let there be 3 WC's in succession in the Southern Hemishphere (SA 2010; BRA 2014 & Oceania 2018) ?

CONMEBOL will have to pay back the favour they owe UEFA (for helping CONMEBOL shaft Oceania's direct entry to the WC 2006) by sinking the WC Finals continental rotation system immediately after BRA 2014 has been formally agreed by FIFA's Executive Committee. WC 2018 will go to Europe, no matter what anyone (Mrs Septic Bladder included) in FIFA says in the politicking up until it's decided.

These guys have no honour nor scruples, let alone have "the good of the game" as their objective.

:mad:

25. Trussy in Oz

Trussy in Oz New Member

Mar 23, 2004
    I suspect with the power shared between Europe and South America the rotation idea will be operated a little more loosely, I expect it to be something like this.

2006 – Europe
    2010 – Africa
    2014 – South America
    2020 – Europe
    2022 – Asia [probably China]
    2026 – Europe
    2030 – South America [Uruguay]
    2034 – Europe
    2038 - North America

All rather depressing reading if you are from one of the less influential Confederations, but then again it is all about the money and one day the "buying" power of Asia will outweigh that of Europe. Then TV rights sponsors will come running, look how keen European teams are to sell shirts in Asia, therefore influence for Asia in Fifa increases
    and the balance of power changes. South America will always have influential as long as their teams keep on winning, and then blackmail the other confederations with the “we won’t turn up and it’s not a world cup without us” routine, The worst case scenario is of course that if Europe and South America feel that their power is waning they will try too establish a Europe v South America competition only, outside of Fifa, look how reluctant these confederations are to have African, Asian or other confederation representatives at the world club championship, insisting that the world club champion can only be played between a European and south American side.
    Well I feel better after that rant, hopefully I haven’t depressed everyone from Oceania, North America or Asia who were hoping to see a “local” World Cup during their lifetime.

The chances of Australia hosting the event is almost non existent, it would only happen if some other country pulled out at the last minute, rather like Mexico got 1986 instead of Columbia who had been awarded to competition