Australian FHM ...

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Matt Clark, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The Australian edition of FHM has an article entitled “World of Disasters” this month.

One of them is all about Hillsborough. It describes the tragedy in vague terms and then goes on to provide a series of pictures. You ‘ve seen them all before, they are seared onto the collective memory of the LFC support … none of whom apparently work for emap’s Autralian division …

Picture 1 – The picture of hundreds of fans showing the steel mesh at the front of the terrace with many fans – mainly youngsters – being crushed.

Caption: “Shoppers waited for the doors to open for the end-of-year sale.”

Picture 2 – Distraught man with hands on the cheeks of a prone man. Other scenes of despair in the background.

Caption: “Yeah, your glands are really swollen.”

Picture 3 – At the Anfield Wall of Remembrance showing the roll of names of the victims. Mother in black, girl of eight or so in lilac holding a rose and, seemingly, pointing at the list.

Caption: “Level four, lingerie and kids wear.”

Picture 4 – Fans in the upper tier trying to lift the fans from below to safety.

Caption: “Get us a beer while you’re there.”

Picture 5 – The pitch. Victims laid out on advertising hoardings. Lots of helpers standing, distraught.

Caption: “Pitch invaders: lazy.”

Picture 6 – Close up of the steel mesh. Youngster crushed on it. Another, older, person also in shot.

Caption: “The queue for the Bertie Beetle bag was rough.”

I feel sick …

2. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  3. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
  4. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    *********************s

5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Comments sent. Disgust registered.

I'm trying to figure out how that could possibly be considered funny to anyone. But then, it wouldn't occur to any of us (I hope) to make fun of Australians killed in a Bali nightclub.

6. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Just received this via e-mail:

Official LFC Website, 21 Oct 2002
    LFC react to sick FHM Australia article

Liverpool Football Club this afternoon admitted that is was 'absolutely sickened' by an article in the Australian edition of FHM making fun of the Hillsborough disaster. The article which appears in the November edition of the magazine features six picture captions which we won't print on this website due to their total lack of respect.

The official statement from LFC is as follows:

FHM MAGAZINE, AUSTRALIA

Further to the publication of an article in FHM magazine, Australia (November 2002) regarding the Hillsborough disaster, the Club is absolutely sickened to think that anyone could try to find humour in such an appalling tragedy.

The captions reported to us are nothing short of a disgrace and it is beyond belief that anyone considered them worthy of publication.

7. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    They've issued an apology according to football365.com.

8. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Anybody else see this from the LFC website?

An email sent to Liverpoolfc.tv:

My name is David Jones, from Perth Western Australia.

I am writing on behalf of my mate Aaron Cowdery, who is bravely hanging on for life after being inside the Bali nightclub bombing.

I am writing to you because aside from his wife, family and friends, Liverpool FC is closest to his heart. If anything could cheer him up, and bring a smile to his face, it is hearing good news of Liverpool.

Now you know my reason for mailing, I will give you the story if interested.

Aaron (29) was in Bali with his soccer team, celebrating end of season. This particular night he and his mate were in the Padi club, where the first bomb exploded on the dance floor where the guys were. Aaron was blown across the room, he now had 60% burns to the body, shrapnel in various parts of his body, lung damage and generally had the living crap beaten out of him. He was two days ago the most critically injured in the whole of our biggest hospital.

But when it happened he not only picked himself up and got out of the building, but also tried to help others. He survived surgery in Bali, flown to Darwin, then further flown to Perth (about 12 hours worth of flight). Now back in Perth he had more surgery yesterday for skin grafting.

Against all odds he woke up today and spoke to us. Very early days yet but we couldn't be happier right now. He is obviously completely disorientated and confused but he will get past that. When I told him Liverpool won 1-0 against Leeds, he let out the happiest sounding AAAAAAH and had the biggest smile I'd seen.

Earlier in the day when he first woke up, his parents were with him. This is a Liverpool-born-and-bred family, all mad Liverpool FC fans. As Aaron awoke, unbelievably, You'll Never Walk Alone came on the radio in the room. Aarons dad Darryl held the radio to Aarons ear and he sang along as best he could, as did his family.

All these small things got me thinking how important Liverpool is to Aaron.

Thanks so much,

David Jones.

9. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has come to my attn that your rag of a publication has grossly and inhumanely made jests about an event that still effects hundreds of people's lives today in England today. That you could allow this garbage to be printed is beyond despicable. I truly hope that your pathetic piece of tripe magazine goes bust and that by this time next week you are looking for a new means of employement-- something in the septic pumping line as you are obviously full of crap from your cranium to your feet.

There is absolutely no reason this should have been done. There is never anything at all funny about lives tragically being lost. Obviously you are an unfeeling, heartless, brain dead, or a complete moron. Otherwise you never would have reopened so many wounds with your article.

Disgusted in Hawaii
    Dillon Naber

10. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I put a word or two. I can only hope that the backlash that this article will have generated will have “Mr.Keen “ looking to change his name and employment.
    What a disgusting animal.

11. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    I speak on behalf on the Liverpool Supporters Club of New York.

Usually I do not disclose any type of affiliation, but this goes beyond what anyone considers humane.

How could you?

You unspeakable fu cking bastards.

12. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Thanks for the apology ... but no thanks ...

It is with sincere apologies and deep condolences that I contact you today.

On behalf of FHM Australia, I would like to formally and publicly apologise for the article printed in our November 2002 issue.

The article was in no way meant to make fun or down play the tragic events of April 15, 1989. In essence our mandate at FHM is not to cast opinion or promote discussion but to simply entertain our readers. It is this last point that has been stretched by our treatment of the Hillsborough tragedy as we have acted without sensitivity and in a totally inappropriate manner.

To the family and friends of those who died in this tragedy, we are truly sorry. As a nation, we are currently experiencing our worst disaster post the Second World War with the terrorist bombings in Bali. It’s difficult to find a person in Australia who has not been affected by this in some way, so in many respects we understand the ongoing pain that you are feeling and the justice and retribution that is sought when such meaningless loss of life occurs.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any pain caused as a result of the article.

Sincerely,

John Bastick

Executive Editor - FHM Australia

Yeah ... cheers John. I'm sure you mean it too. An emap shaped boot in the derriere will evoke all manner of contrite feelings, I should imagine. Pity the guy who actually OK'd the article is nowhere to be heard. I would still like to hear his version of events from the editorial meeting at which this idea was floated - and approved for publication, presumably by the man himself.

I urge all of you to fire off a quick one to the following address:

The Australian Press Council
    Suite 303
    149 Castlereagh St
    SYDNEY NSW 2000
    AUSTRALIA

13. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    anyone else have their email returned?

I got this back with an error.

14. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Since they are so convinced that football is a perfect analogy for a piece called "World Of Disasters," did anybody notice if the piece had any mention of Australia's national team program?

15. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Withdrawn!

Still doesn't make up for the fact that they did it in the first place, but at least nobody else will see it.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N137214021022-1415.htm

FHM Australia have today withdrawn from sale their November edition of the magazine which carried a very offensive article about the Hillsborough tragedy. Full apologies will be published in the next UK and Australian editions (on shelf 22 Nov). EMAP, the magazine's publishers, have been in contact with the Hillsborough support groups and will be making donations to their funds.

The statement from FHM Australia reads as follows:

We deeply regret the photograph captions published in the November issue of the Australian edition of FHM accompanying an article about the Hillsborough disaster of 1989. FHM Australia has its own editorial team and these captions were written and published without consultation with the UK edition, or any other edition of FHM.

A statement from the Australian Publishing Director follows:

'We deeply regret the photograph captions published in the November issue of the Australian edition of FHM, accompanying an article about the Hillsborough disaster of 1989. FHM Australia has its own editorial team and these captions were written and published without consultation with the UK edition, or any other edition of FHM.

FHM Australia has clearly acted without sensitivity and in a totally inappropriate manner. We unreservedly apologise for the anguish and pain that such treatment of the Hillsborough disaster has caused to the relatives and friends of the victims, of all those present, and of all those touched by such a disaster.

The right course of action is to withdraw this edition from sale - which we will be doing. We have been in contact with the Hillsborough Family Support Group and the Hillsborough Justice Campaign to express our deep regret and sincere apologies. We have informed them that a full apology will be published in the Australian edition, due for circulation at the beginning of December, and although the offending article was not published in the UK, the apology will also appear in the UK edition, with similar timing.

FHM will be making a donation to both of the fighting funds after further consultation with the groups involved'.

Geoff Campbell
    Executive Publishing Director
    FHM Australia

16. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    This is excellent news.

Let's see ... a normal print-run for a mag like FHM in Australia will be in the 100,000 copies region. They retail at A$3.60 each and went on sale just two days ago. So let's assume some 95,000 copies have now been taken off the shelf and are due to be pulped (a process that in itself incurs an expense).

That's 90,000 x 3.60.

That's A$342,000.

That's a very, very SACKED Editor of FHM.

That's justice.

17. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Isn't that only about US $47?

18. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    LOL! :D

No, by today's exchange rate, that equates to US$ 189,202.19.

Add to that the cost of withdrawing and pulping the whole edition and you have got it up to the 200k mark, I reckon.

Actually, I have to say, I am surprised that emap went this far this quickly. Mind you, it was on the main BBC news here at 1 o' clock this afternoon. It was rapidly becoming big news. They probably just shat themselves.

Like I said - that is one sacked editor. May he enjoy the rest of his career covering sheep rodeos in Woolongong.

19. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Well, that does have its advantages, but only if you're into that sort of thing...

20. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't recieved a reply yet.

21. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I haven’t received an answer nor do I expect one with all the crap they’ve had thrown at them.
    Nowhere have I read (despite the musings) that they are about to sack Keen. He is /was one of their top editors….!!!

22. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No reply here either.

23. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Any updates?

24. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Seems like Haymarket took care of it properly and quickly, and it's no longer an issue.