Australia number 1

Discussion in 'Asian Cup 2007' started by almango, Aug 16, 2006.

1. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    to qualify for next years Asian Cup that is:D

A pleasing result for us and it leaves Bahrain and Kuwait to battle it out for second spot.

2. ruud van semz

ruud van semz Red Card

Dec 27, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    i'd prefer bahrain to finish second.. atleast they actually try to play and dont put all their players behind the ball

3. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005

Its because lebanon withdrew. But even if lebanon played u guys would have qualified. But anyways congrats. I just hope your european players play in asian cup so that there won't be no excuses from u guys;) .

4. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
  5. ruud van semz

ruud van semz Red Card

Dec 27, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia

we wont have excuses anyway.. and no, most of them wont play, they will only play in the final if we happen to make it which is pretty unlikely

6. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005
    Wow........... what's the logic in that:confused: ?

7. ruud van semz

ruud van semz Red Card

Dec 27, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    what do you mean?

8. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005

I mean ur B team playing all of the asian cup matches and your european players playing the asian cup final.

I think its unfair to the B team..........
    what say?

9. ruud van semz

ruud van semz Red Card

Dec 27, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    it will be a mixture of the c team players that played today and some of the b team players in europe like beauchamp, heffernan.. maybe kennedy and david williams aswell.. maybe some of the a-team players like kewell could play in the quarters or something if we make it that far.

the c-team players are aware of their role, they know they are in because the others arent available

10. Ragnarok14

Ragnarok14 New Member

Jan 14, 2006
    Queensland
    Huh? pretty much most of them have said they want to play in the asian cup, its just the qualifiers against smaller opponents on non fifa sanctioned dates that has detered them this time, although I believe I heard something about lucas and a few others coming for the home Bahrain game.

And at worst we put out our B team of second teir european players in instead of the C team we trotted out there tonight.

11. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005
    If the european based players dont have matches when asian cup resumes, i hope they play in the asian cup.

12. ruud van semz

ruud van semz Red Card

Dec 27, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    yeah thats basically what im saaying.. when euro player arent available the c players will play. the euro players will be there on uefa dates though

13. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    This makes no sense.

They'd have to be picked in the Squad for the whole of the finals to play in the Final Final.

Not many A-squad players will be in the last two qualifiers (although a few should turn out in Kuwait) but a few will be back for the Asian Cup - particularly those who might not feel they would make WC2010 due to their age.

As to whether we'd win the Asian Cup - we'll give it a shake, but I wouldn't make us favourites or anything.

J

14. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Excuses for what?

15. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Humph.

I think he meant to say that it would be unexcusable if the Socceroos didn't field their strongest side in the Asian Cup Finals next year. (I think.)

Don't worry sakbekham, we plan to launch all the big guns in '07. We're Australia, man. We never back down from a challenge. ;)

16. EPL4LIFE

EPL4LIFE Member

Dec 4, 2005
    As long as the games fall on international fifa dates, i.e 4 days either side of the fixture they will come. Australia will be fielding a full strength side for the Bahrain second leg in Sydney. With Lucas Neill, Cahill etc etc allready stating that they have this one penciled in. As far as the finals of the Asian cup, id hope that Arnold would include some of these younger b team players from Europe, like Thwaite, Beauchamp, Heffernan etc, as these players realistically arnt far off getting in the "best" team. If we have a team, ala the team we played Jamaica with, id still be fairly confident of a good result against most of the early stages in the finals

17. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    You do realise its a proper tournament like the World Cup & Euro Cup??

Ie -this is qualification for the FINALS...... And the team for the finals- like the World Cup is locked in- so I think that the best team will be picked.

18. ruud van semz

ruud van semz Red Card

Dec 27, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    bravo bravo, did that make you feel big? i was just trying to speak normal and i was obviously wrong.. no need to pounce on me and try to get the moral highground while im down

19. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Bah, Bahrain are shit. I root against them everytime now for that shit against Uzbeks

Down with bahrain! :mad:

20. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    If they have club commitments so be it.This was always going to be an issue from day one.Its not just availability its also travel, time away, injury management.No matter how good our physio's and doctors are, the clubs would be against it more often than not.Its ok for countries like Korea, Iran and Japan who only have a sprinkling of euro based players, our entire first team squad is.Teams like Saudi Arabia none.If they can get back for some important matches, well and good.But the majority of the top top liners are not going to be getting back for every single game as the qualification path goes on.FIFA dates taken into account or not.

21. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    They wont have club committments for finals as they fall in the FIFA window for continental championships. There is a problem with qualifiers due to the timing of the tournament. There aren't enough official qualifier dates set aside to complete the qualifiers in a World Cup year so that the tournament finals can be organised for the next year. We (Australia) will struggle with home games on friendly dates as they are usually just a single day mid week with 48 hours release time. Its not enough time for a player to travel from Europe and get back in time for a club match the next weekend. Thats why we play friendlies in Europe. The official qualifier dates are usually a double date and have a bit more release time. Players can more feasibly travel and return with sufficient recovery time. Unfortunately those dates are set up for UEFA qualifiers, and anyone that doesn't follow that timetable will struggle. What it means is that our home based and fringe players will get some valuable experience in international competition on the friendly dates when we play a qualifier. We will probably have two squads for a while with some intermingling between them before they combine for Asian Cup finals and World Cup qualifiers.

22. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Mod's Note...

Guys, let's conduct this discussion without insulting and attacking one another please. If you can't chat in a civil manner, just don't post anything at all.

23. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Re: Humph.

shame the lebs pulled out. I would liked to of seen some more Aussie matches over the year. :(

play friendlies instead i say :p

24. Power_of_foot

Power_of_foot Red Card

May 28, 2004
    Bahrain isn't that good.
    However I don't rate Australia high either because they lost to Kuwait by 2 to nul.

25. sahbekham_pactwinner

Jun 12, 2005
    Re: Humph.

I meant to say that if you guys don't win the asian cup 2007 with your B, C players; tHEn u guys will be making up excuses that ur european players did not play.

I am not worrying, its u guys who has to worry after that kuwait's loss.