August 17 Semi v. Atlanta [R]

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Heeligan2, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    Go Blue Lions!!!

2. quarterUltra

quarterUltra Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Stillwater, OK
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Party Hard tonight. You're road trippin to Atlanta next weekend.

What a beautiful finish and a come from behind heart stopper. The crowd sounded wonderful!

Cheers!

Kirsten

3. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    What a great game! The two teams I wanted in the Finals are there. Now it's gonna be tough to root against Abby, but since Carolina has 2 former Gators, go Courage! Riise was awesome as usual today, Fotop with a pressure PK there at the end to send it to OT and then Prinz/Overbeck to win it, what an amazing game, should be a great final next week!

4. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Congrats to the Courage.

5. soccerobsessee9

soccerobsessee9 New Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Rensselaer, Indiana
    Way to go, Carla. That's my girl! I knew she was gonna get the shot, at least, when she took off on that run.

Nice job, ladies.

6. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Congratulations guys. Great finish! After watching the first part of the game following the other semi-final I decided to stick with it, after the weather delay, instead of switching over to SJ's MLS match, I'll watch it on tape later. Very entertaining match!

7. lab99

lab99 New Member

May 10, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    Congrats to Carolina! :D You all were giving me a tension headache there for the last half of that match!! ;)

8. Jo

Jo New Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Kansas
    Congratulations to Carolina. And how sweet that Overbeck scored the winning goal.

9. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    Oustanding game

Great game by Riise.

And Overbeck. Whoa!

10. Berly16ROX

Berly16ROX New Member

Sep 27, 2001
    Virginia
    Leave it up to the moms to get the job done :) Awesome game!

11. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    Carla... I take it all back! :)

Nel Fettig was flawless... she rivals Hege for player of the match.

What an amazing game... must watch the video to see if the referees' calls were as outrageous as they seemed, from our completely unbiased point of view. ;)

12. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    misconduct

Unofficial:

Misconduct Summary:

ATL -- Julie Augustyniak (caution) 31st.

ATL -- Kylie Bivens (caution) 38th.

ATL -- Julie Augustyniak (ejection) 57th.

ATL -- Charmaine Hooper (caution) 65th.

CAR -- Unni Lehn (caution) 68th.

ATL -- Marci Miller (caution) 88th.

13. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Back from SAS!

Hey, how about our team?!

We stayed late at the stadium, cheering the players one by one as they left the field and headed to the locker room. It was like a big party -- everybody was so happy!

Enough of this posting. I'm gonna go watch it all over again on tape. (Was that referee as blind as it appeared sometimes?!)

Woo-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

14. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    more statistics

From Yahoo sports:

15. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
  16. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  17. gottarun

gottarun New Member

Jun 30, 2001
    America
    WOO-HOO! We did it! Great job, Carla and team! Good job to Washington, too. The two basement teams from last year make it to the top - what do you know?! :)

18. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    video -- oops

I set my VCR to record for 2 hours 40 minutes just in case of a delay... and Carla's goal was at the 2 hour 35 minute mark from the taping start, so we were so psyched to see everything. Well, unfortunately, I mistakenly put a 2-hour tape in the machine. So we missed a lot of the action. Anyone get the last 40 minutes on tape????

Anyhow, we were able to see that we should have gotten that penalty kick call in the first few minutes of the game when Hege was pushed down. Also, Fotop was definitely guilty of the foul that lead to Atlanta's penalty kick against us. Top.... it is bad enough to push in the box but to push one and then another player down?! Please try to be stealthier! ;)

There was virtually no play-by-play in the first half. The media folks ignored the game. Sigh. Hope they upgrade the commentators next week. Or at least next year.....

19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I think the "game ball" should go to McDermott. Absolutely fantastic, shocking, incredible usage of Overbeck. With her legs, there is no way she can play this game. But Marcia threw her wide up top, where her crosses and experience could work, and gave her no defensive responsibilities at all.

Brilliant.

If Hege Riise is not voted the MVP of the league, then something is horribly wrong. Both Prinz and Fotop were off tonight. Fotop was caught celebrating Hege's crossbar and Fettig's right post instead of being ready to pounce on a rebound. Prinz seemed to shy away from using her size and strength in the box, floating around the edges avoiding Nonen. But Riise, wow. Awesome.

We owned the game. Tsapos was a disgrace. Atlanta was awful. He had to stop himself from pulling two late yellows when he realized he was about to send off more Atlanta players. Throw in the fact that our one real foul in the box was a penalty for the Beat, yet we had to be hauled down on three seperate occaisions to get our first penalty kick of the year.

This rocks. Any idea on how many Courage fans are going down to Atlanta? Scott and I are travelling on Thursday after work.

Scott is working on his photos as we speak. I hope they'll be up tomorrow.

Go Courage!

20. Oddball#34

Oddball#34 New Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Apex, NC
    Atlanta, here I come

I am going andy, hope to see you there.

21. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  22. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
  23. Weymouth Dave

Weymouth Dave Member

Mar 4, 2001
    Weymouth
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a great game.The last 10 minutes were as intense as I've seen all year.Congrats Blue Lions.Dat Hege,she is da real deal,yaaa.

24. jvanark

jvanark New Member

Jan 16, 2002