Audio Problems with Vista

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Godalfree, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Godalfree

Godalfree New Member

Apr 17, 2004
    New Orleans
    My computer runs Vista. Recently, I've had some audio problems. I seem unable to play audio from movie files (and the video files run perfectly, fyi). The problem is that the computer plays other audio (the normal clangs and bleeps of Vista and youtube videos are delivered with perfect audio). I think, therefore, that this is not an sound card issue but some other kind of issue. I thought it was a codec issue, but I uninstalled my codec pack (K-lite codec pack standard) and reinstalled it and audio continued to not play. Audio also did not play before I reinstalled the codecs.
    I don't know if this will be of any help, but I downloaded Skype the other day for a video chat and the audio also did not work for Skype.

Any help?

Thanks.

2. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The only thing i can thing of is to check the audio levels in Media Player and ensure th level is full. Or check the volume icon in the task bar and ensure all the levels are turned up full and not muted.

Right click the audio icon, go to playback devices, configure, and test to see if its working.

3. Godalfree

Godalfree New Member

Apr 17, 2004
    New Orleans
    The solution did not work.

It is a cross platform sound issue (so nothing plays on winamp, itunes or windows media player). Also and possibly very importantly the files simply do not play. It is not a problem of the file playing and no music being played. I should have made that more clear in my original message.

Thanks for your time.

Jeff

4. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Do you get any sort of error messages? Also try checking the system logs (control panel > administrative tools > event viewer) to see if they tell you anything.

5. Godalfree

Godalfree New Member

Apr 17, 2004
    New Orleans
    Thanks for the response.

I get no error messages normally. The files just don't play. However, in Win Media Player, I get this message:
    "Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct."
    The webhelp tells me that "You've encountered error message C00D11D2 while using Windows Media Player." And the solutions tell me that:
    "Windows Media Player cannot access the file. You might encounter this error message for one of the following reasons:

*This file is currently in use. Close the file, and then try again.
    *You do not have permission to access the server or other location where the file is stored. Verify that you have the appropriate access rights, and then try again.
    *You do not have permission to access the proxy server. Verify that you have the appropriate access rights, and then try again.
    *You are trying to rip a track from a CD to your hard disk and you do not have permission to rip to the specified hard disk location. Verify that you have the appropriate access rights, and then try again. If the problem persists, try ripping to another folder."

This is seems very wrong to me as these files have worked before. I also just stuck a DVD in just to check and got the same error message.

I purchased the warranty plan at best buy and may just have to take the thing into them tomorrow.

Lastly, I checked out Event Viewer and didn't see anything that screamed "This is why you can't play audio!" However, "Event ID 100 from source SDWinSec" seems to be occurring very frequently. (Further research has told me that this is A search and destroy spybot program and is most likely has nothing to do with my audio loss.) My WIA also seems corrupt occasionally but that also doesn't seem to correlate with sound.

Again thanks for your help.

Would reinstalling Windows likely fix this problem?

6. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What kind of computer do you have? What kind of sound chipset? Does the computer have only stereo out or surround sound out?

Start Regedit.exe and go to the following key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32

Make sure that the following entries are as follows:
    wave - wdmaud.drv
    mixer - wdmaud.drv
    aux - wdmaud.drv
    wavemapper - msacm32.drv

Can you also tell me what other entries you have in this key, not including those items beginning with "vidc".

I've done some research, and it seems that there are a number of people with the exact opposite problem - they can hear the things you can't and vice-versa, and those problems seem related to the registry entries here.

7. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    If you have the warranty at BB, i would bring it in, but try playing around with it first b/c they usually take some time to repair cpu's.

Maybe Uninstall the sound card and reinstall it?

8. Godalfree

Godalfree New Member

Apr 17, 2004
    New Orleans

I just found out that I am very, very, very dumb!

As I was attempting to look at the stuff that you posted, I opened the audio program in the control panel and a window popped up saying that your audio was experiencing problems due to some kind of enhancement. Would you like to turn it off? I clicked yes and now my problems are solved.

I'm sorry to cause such a huge problem but I thought that I had already looked into control panel > audio, but apparently I had not. Sorry again for waisting everyone's time.

Thanks for everyone's help!

9. Forza_Totti

Forza_Totti Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Glad you figured it out. Depending on what computer you bought, i think the manufacturers have a 24 hr help and support line as well. Keep that in mind in case you have problems again.

10. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah - of the computers that are sold at Best Buy, the HP's, Compaq's, and Velocity's all have good to excellent support. Not sure about the Acer's or how Dell is currently doing (they've been all over the map in the past).

11. Godalfree

Godalfree New Member

Apr 17, 2004
    New Orleans
    Yeah. Thanks again guys.