Attention American fans going to Germany

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by gyr0, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Brock

Brock New Member

Feb 17, 1999
    Tewksbury, MA
  2. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    yes the hotel you have choosen is really not the best from Cologne. I would book another hotel if I were you. But it will be probably more expansive.
    But the advantage of the hotel is that it is pretty central. But if you like, I can try to find another hotel for you in Cologne, better one. But it might be a bit expansive then. It depends what you like.

bltleo
    Germany

3. Hosscat

Hosscat New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Denver
    My travel agent said that it was the best one still available (I guess viturally everything in Koln is booked already). I'm paying $299 a night, so I have no doubt that I'm getting completely ripped off. The rest of the hotels were half the price, but not as nice or centrally located.

The next step up was Koln Hilton, which is $800 a night for dates we want!

4. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    the hotel is pretty central. So it has many advantages.
    well it is very central and very close to Dom.
    did you see the hotel at the web-site? If no, I can send you it.
    Well Euro is also expansive now. You need to pay more Euros for 1 dollar.
    But don´t worry. You will enjoy the hotel. It is comfortable hotel. Not the best, but good one. Hotel rooms are comfortable. Dont´worry.

here about hotel in English language. The prize is o.k. because it is really very central. It is normal for Cologne. Hotels in Cologne are expansive.
    http://www.worldres.com/Property/85672-CityClass+Hotel+Caprice

5. chrassty

chrassty New Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Baltimore
    My boyfriend and I are also staying at the Radisson SAS. It's nice to know there will be some fellow US fans at our hotel. Good luck with the tickets, I was lucky enough to get them in the first phase of the FIFA sale.

6. joehill

joehill Member

Sep 28, 2005
    brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    is it easy to get to the stadium in Gelsenkirchen on the train or other public transportation from Cologne? I am flying into Dusseldorf and figured i'd prefer to stay in Cologne until the game in Gelsenkirchen.

does the train run at night, so I'd be able to get back to Cologne after the game?

7. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ohps, I think I answered your question at another thread:). I was too quickly.
    Here is the answer.

yes definitely. You can check possibilities at website of Deutsche Bahn (German Rail):

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/que...80535&OK#focus

http://www.bahn.de/-S:PtVORN:dIg@7tN...ew/index.shtml

just put the time and cities and you will find it out. I checked Düsseldorf-Gelsenkirchen. You will be able to come back to Düsseldorf or Cologne after game.

bltleo

8. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Yes, it is: you can take a tram straight from the train station in Gelsenkirchen to the Veletins Arena.

Check out the following web site, as it has information on all the World Cup railway stations, including specific information on how to get from them to the various venues.

http://www.db.de/site/wm2006/en/wm__bahnhoefe/wm__bahnhoefe.html

9. FatAndUgly

FatAndUgly New Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Huntington Beeyatch
    That's the only reason Bud is the world's best selling beer: they make sponsorship deals with all the big events/stadia/etc, so you don't get a choice (or much of one). I hate Anheuser Busch.

10. Hosscat

Hosscat New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Denver
    I must make a correction to my previous statement.... I hear there was an uproar in Germany when this was orginally announced (rightfully so), so Bud agreed to allow Bitburger at the WC venues as well. There is a God.

11. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I don't understand why everyone's so worked up about Bud being sold in the stadium, it's not like the beer at the game is going to be affordable anyway. My drinking is going to be done in the parking lots and the bars and out of flasks.