Attention American fans going to Germany

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by gyr0, Jan 5, 2006.

1. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC
    To my fellow american fans,

I am a reporter and American soccer fan preparing a piece on the journey to Germany this summer-- from the fan's prespective. With the approach of world cup 2006, American soccer has yet another opportunity to step foward in the eyes of the world, but while Europe's opinion could change in regard to the American players, will this translate to the fans? As a unique niche of sports fan, American soccer supporters are a breed apart from the "typical" American fan, and this summer is our chance to show it. But in a post 9/11 Europe, we will undoubtedly face unique challanges. I want to know what you are expecting? How are you preparing? And how do you plan to show your support?

Please feel free to contact me for further details, and I look foward to hearing from you soon.

2. Hosscat

Hosscat New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Denver
    I'm spending an outrageous amount of money on hotels, flights, etc. w/ no guarantee of even getting tickets to the US games so far (thanks USSF).

Part of me is worried about receiving a hostile reception as a US fan due to the wildspread unpopularity of Bush, that war we started, etc in Europe. I think most people in Germany will be able to separate the our goverment from the American soccer fans though. Hell, Dubya probably couldn't even name one player on US team anyway (Freddy Adu doesn't count).

3. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. I have lived overseas in two locations since the USG invaded Iraq, and the people in both countries still had a largely positive view of the US and even the US government. Most people separate Americans from their government and generally enjoy our enthusiasm. Sure, you might hear someone say something like Bush sucks or such. Your reaction will probably determine how you are treated. Shoot, I heard more negative reactions and comments in the US concerning the current administration than I did in South America or here in Bosnia. Personally, in Bosnia, the people largely prefer us to the UN and the Europeans. Frankly, they like the fact that Americans largely do what they say they will do (even if they don't agree with it). For that reason, at least here, Americans and the US Government are considered credible.

4. Colin Grabow

Colin Grabow New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, DC
    I expect everyone to root against us. No one wants to see the US win under any circumstances, particularly soccer. I don't think any hostility will extend to anything physical however. I went to the US friendly against Holland 2 years ago and wore a US soccer shirt with a US flag throw draped around me. Yeah, a few people made comments about "Booosh" and one little kid started yelling "Een-null" at me afterwards but that was about the extent of it. No big deal. I expect the situation in Germany -- if I get tickets -- to be about the same. I'll go with some friends, we'll be rabidly patriotic at the games, and if anyone has a problem with it, F em'.

5. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    I go to europe about a month each summer, don't worry about the anti-bush sentiment...

99% of europeans separate poltiics from the average american...

enjoy germany.....

6. Hosscat

Hosscat New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Denver
    Amen brotha....... I'll do the same- and I'm usually not even that patriotic in general (when it comes to my love for our national team, that's a different story).

On the other hand, I have no love for the USSF right about now because of the way they've fooked up the ticketing process and may be screwing over many of the team's most loyal/dedicated fans (I know, that's another discussion, but maybe something that should be mentioned in your piece).

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    There will, of course, be the odd jagoff making an ass of himself - and some of them will not even be americans.

I wouldn't worry too much about the man/gal in the street. You might get some kids around the Czech or Italy match who have come to Germany and a budweiser too many, but I doubt it will anything unavoidable.

8. SiriusSoccerFan

SiriusSoccerFan New Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Fayetteville, AR
    It's good to see that spirits will be better than average regarding our fans. I, for one, am not going because I cannot afford it right now. However, I was really dissapointed with how Panamanians treated our players during qualifying. Maybe in 2010, I can be in the midst with some of you guys, as I am new to following soccer (because of my brazilian wife). I hope I can be around during the next qualifiers or even the next gold cup. :)

9. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    well, south africa is a very different animal than germany...

the novice traveler to south africa is in for some culture shock...

germany is basically the usa wityh a dfferent language, although there's far more english there, than german here...

read twain's innocents abroad to get ready for your 1st trip outside these boaders

10. Schoey

Schoey Member

Apr 12, 2001
    San Anselmo, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have tickets and I am booked.

The only thing I'm worried about is the process of getting those tickets and changing a guest. If you didn't know FIFA is requiring everyone with a ticket to give their Name, date of birth and Passport #. I have had to change one of my guests and trying to get a response from FIFA on changing the personal info is impossible.

I am not worried about security or an attitude. I even going to France between games to really push it!

11. CCTX SoccerFreak

CCTX SoccerFreak New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    Corpus Christi,TX
    Your kids will be cap tied to the US National team though right? :cool:

12. SiriusSoccerFan

Dec 26, 2005
    Fayetteville, AR
    Absolutely, or I'll disown them! :mad:
    just kidding. I think they'll be forced to root for both teams..but yes..captied to the U.S. team for sure! :D

13. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    You lucky bastid! (for more than one reason!)

14. SiriusSoccerFan

Dec 26, 2005
    Fayetteville, AR
    what reasons would those be? :p

15. joehill

joehill Member

Sep 28, 2005
    brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    is there a different forum where people talk about travelling to germany? (it doesn't really seem applicable to "News & Analysis".)

I'm trying to plan my trip, but looked in 6 different guide books and Gelsenkirchen and Kaiserslautern aren't listed in any of them, which seems kind of lame. so if there's another forum where we can discuss stuff like that point me in the right direction, thanks

16. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Virtualtourist.com and tripadvisor.com have forums and info on almost every city imaginable. Especially with the World Cup coming up, I would expect several helpful Germans or expats living in Germany could provide you with information you might not find in the guidebooks.

17. Aalborg

Aalborg New Member

May 2, 2002
    I'm not worried about receiving a hostile reception as a US fan due to the medias perception of President Bush, especially after terrorists murdered 3000 innocent Americans. I know most civil Germans separate politics from American soccer fans anyway Hell, President Bush probably knows a few players on US team anyway, since he is a soccer fan and has ivited the US Mens team to the Whitehouse and his father is too ..who liked to kick/juggle a soccer ball a lot in his time as President(Freddy Adu counts too!).[/QUOTE]

Fixed your quote

18. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not worried about anti-Bush sentiment and am not worried about showing my support for the US team (i.e., wearing US apparel). I believe as long as you keep it soccer based and stay away from strong, reactive political displays and discussions, you won't have a problem.

19. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On that note, we never wear US flags when outside the country, but always chuckle because in Colombia and Europe we see non-Americans (not Canadians though) wearing them all the time.

20. joehill

joehill Member

Sep 28, 2005
    brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    yeah, I meant is there another forum on bigsoccer where people are specifically talking about travel plans to follow the US team. I just saw the "World Cup: Fans, Travel & More" forum, I'll try my luck there.

21. Hosscat

Hosscat New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Denver
    Dubya Bush and his dad are both "soccer fans?" You need to turn off the Fox News once in while buddy. I would guess the only reason he invited the '02 World Cup team to the White House was because of his advisors/handlers told him that soccer is huge in virtually every other country in the world (and making it to the final 8 is a big deal). I'm sure Dubya was briefed on the names of the important players before they arrived so he didn't look like a complete jackazz.

The Mexican president, Vicente Fox, invited him to watch the US-Mexico WC game on the border (which would have been really cool), but Bush made some lame excuse and declined the invite.

22. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    I'm on the phone all day with Europe and Latin America. I wouldn't worry one bit about a hostile reception. And while not wanting to get too much into politics, there is an often unspoken understanding in Europe that the US, although very often naive, inept and bumbling in doing so, handles all of the dirty work that needs to be done.

Europeans are fair-minded people. They will be cool. With all that said, don't think that the soccer-loving Yank who is so eager to be loved and so desperate to advertise his sophistication will be greeted with greater acceptance. In Europe there is a fascination with the more rustic aspects of America.

If you tone down the gushiness, you'll be fine.

23. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Whoa. They are soccer fans. The old man is into it more than the kid. I saw him at the Italy-Nigeria game in Foxboro in 94. He attended four games at Foxboro. He didn't get whisked into high-profile matches at the Rose Bowl with the beautiful people at the last minute; he went from Maine to Foxboro.

I give the kid props for snubbing Vicente Fox. Why would you want to watch that game on the border when you can watch it from your home? I have no use for that silliness.

24. Sir Nigel Sorebottom

Sep 14, 2005
    Takoma Park MD
    Agreed, were I the president I would never watch a USA/Mexico game with the president of Mexico. My behavior during the game would set back US/Mex relations 100s of years.

Stupid suggestion from Fox.

25. Hosscat

Hosscat New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Denver
    ********ing Mexico....... Always cheating!