Attendence numbers

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Independence' started by pasoccerdad, Jun 9, 2010.

1. PhillyIndependence

PhillyIndependence New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    The Union was nice enough to host us last night. We had about 15 players at the game and the SOB tailgate..it was a great time! Lots of Sons of Ben are coming out to the game on Sunday...should be great.

Gearing up for the match on Sunday!

2. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As you can see from this thread on the Union's SoB board, the Independence made a plea to the SoBs to come out to the Boston game. From the looks of this thread, it sounds like they plan to spice things up at WCU. This was a good idea by the Independence marketing team. No better place to market your product than in front of 18K soccer fans.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1504225

3. PhillyFan

PhillyFan New Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My suggestion to the Independence...beg, borrow, rent or steal a large video display board and pipe the Union feed into the stadium. Invite ticketholders to come early and watch the game in the stadium before the Independence take the field.

4. phillypride

phillypride Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a little late for that now, but it would have been awesome. Maybe they can do it next time. I'm just pumped that the SOB connection has been made!

5. Io sono Unionista

Jun 24, 2010
    WE ARE 138, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not sure where to post this, but thanks for inviting us to the game. I think I speak for the rest of the SOBs when I say that we had a great time and enjoyed some very entertaining soccer (although we were hoping for 3 points). It was great to watch the team push for a winner for the last ten minutes instead of sitting back and accepting the one point. My 7 year-old daughter had a great time singing and chanting with us and was thrilled to meet the players.

Overall it was a great experience and I plan on coming out for more games. I hope we can keep the Independence/SOB link going.

6. PhillyFan

PhillyFan New Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was great to see a number of supporters from Sons of Ben at the game last night. Hope to see you all at future games. I think last night's attendance may have been the best all season, certainly the best in a while.

7. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    More than the first game - of over 6,000???

8. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The box score unfotunately did not post an attendance number. At most I want to say there were 4,000 people there (out of 7,500 seats) but I enjoyed seeing my first game. the sons of ben really livened up the crowd although props to the puma section for making plenty of noise as well.

9. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Even 4,000 would be a tremendous increase over the recent crowds, and a good sign. The weather was tolerable last night I believe.

10. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I realize this is a temporary stadium situation but there should have been more (any?) signage from the main (north) WCU campus. A common mistake many people make when they go to games on college campuses is they mapquest to ______ University, not necessarily "John A Farrell Stadium at West Chester University"

I found it with no problem using the campus website and maps as well as the directions page on WPS (but not the separate facilities page, which just gives the history and a seating chart but no scrolling)

11. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, would love to the Independence logo with arrows pointing the way.... then they could use them next year at any location

12. Io sono Unionista

Jun 24, 2010
    WE ARE 138, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Signs would be nice. I know I should have checked the location better before I left home, but once I passed the campus on New St, it looked like the road was going to the middle of nowhere, so I turned around and drove down Rosedale Ave before consulting google maps on my phone for the location of the stadium.

13. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

3,091 was the (un)announced attendance for the last home game with the Breakers. I think the earlier start should help the crowd this Sunday. Also the Breakers game was an add-on game and had a later start time than most.

14. MAR2010

MAR2010 Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3,000+ is a modest step in the right direction. Also the TV coverage (especially the repeats on TCN and CSN) of a pretty exciting match, with fans in the shot and a lively atmosphere, might entice samplers to check out the product.

15. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunday attendance was 2,559 to see one of the best keepers in the world. I believe the rainy start was a factor.

16. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, you can see attendence is drifting to the 3K +, the rain absolutely affected the attendance.. I expected about 2k, so it was nice...

Hopefully the playoff game will get closer to 4K love to see 6K but I don't think that many know about the team

17. phillypride

phillypride Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. I've talked to many soccer fans who didn't know that the league existed, let alone the Independence.