Attendances

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by mis-e-one, Nov 3, 2004.

1. mis-e-one

mis-e-one New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Bedfordshire
    I was speaking with a Chelsea fan the other day about the club and I asked him why Chelsea since Vialli have acquired 40000+ gates, but had poor average attendances years prior to this. He didn't really know why.

But why is this exactly? OK the ground is larger than it used to be, but during the 1980's (for example) the club didn't have 40000+ average attendances.

2. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Well, it may have had something to do with not playing in the First division. Possibly.

3. mis-e-one

mis-e-one New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Bedfordshire
    Manchester City averaged 30000 in Division 2 several years back (as it was then!).

4. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Bully for them. However, I'd really like to see where you're getting these numbers from.

5. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paging Clanblue....

6. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Friday the 13th, April 1906, we had 67,000 for a match against ManU. Must not have been on TV.

7. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I was at several games in the 60's where we had 60,000 crowds. Typically games against ManU, Liverpool and the London Derbies.

Stadia were of course not all seating in those days and you could pack them in.

I believe the biggest ever crowd at Stamford Bridge was for a league game was:

82,905 v Arsenal Division One 12.10.1935 but I seem to recall, not personally, :) a friendly against a Moscow side that unofficially was getting on for 100,000.

Our attendances did drop off in the 80's due to our poor performance, and in the 90's due to stadium redevelopment.

edit.

The club website lists attendances over 70,000

http://www.chelseafc.com/article.as...he+Club&sub=History+-+Statistics&nav=&sublid=

8. mis-e-one

mis-e-one New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Bedfordshire
  9. mis-e-one

mis-e-one New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Bedfordshire
    That was almost 100 years ago. Who gives a ********?

10. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We give a f**ck, as we are Chelsea fans and football is a older than you and me. Fe cking amazing that innit?

Attendances were down across all the grounds in the the country during the 80’s due to a mixture of poor facilities and hooliganism.

I am yet to ascertain what your real point is. In fact, I don’t really give a F***ck about your boring thread.

Last one out close the door.

11. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Ahh so the mask has been dropped. So you really are just trolling. As your first post recieved reasoned replies you have had to up the anti.

What a sorry individual you are.

12. mis-e-one

mis-e-one New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Bedfordshire
    No, attendances were 'down' because Chelsea were ******** in the 1980's. That says a lot about your fans IMO. I'm glad you give a ******** since football 'is a' older than you and me.

13. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Why don't you crawl back under that bridge you've come out of.
    I would imagine as soon as Clan or GPK come back, this thread will get its due merit.

14. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd watch the attitude guy. We don't like trolls here.

15. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    A Spurs fan?! :D

Ah, bless.

16. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    I dont suppose anyone can be bothered to see if any of his old posts harp on about the good ole days at Spurs. Purely for ironic purposes of course?

I suspect (though I cant back it up with any facts what-so-ever) that any low attendence's are being leaked from the away section. I imagine Chelsea's ticket prices would seem quite extortionate to visiters from outside the Capitol.

Ah london. Joy.