Attendance's prediction for the semifinals.

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Juan Luis Guerra, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    I think the Home Depot will be sold out for all home games played there. This is my prediction per each MLS stadiums.

1- Home Depot = 27k
    2- RFK= 23k
    3- Soldier's field = 28K
    4- Earthquake= 16k
    5- New England = 16k
    6- Rapids= 22k
    7- Wizards= 22k
    8-NJ/NJ Metros= 20K

2. Soccerski

Soccerski Member

Dec 2, 2000
    Georgetown, CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NE Playoff Games

Why did NE schedule their playoff games for Sunday?

That puts them against the NFL and creates conflicts with youth soccer games.

What are the Karfts thinking about?

3. Juan Luis Guerra

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    Soccerski

To tell you the truth, all I hear about people not showing to Gillette Stadium are excuses. They are not showing to the stadium this year. They have a good team, but 10k, 12k is just not enough. Very disappointing season for New England. I was thinking that New England (if they not improve) should move to another city who loves soccer like Philadelphia which is not far away.

4. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    Re: NE Playoff Games

youth soccer wraps up this weekend in my area, i don't know about in new england.

Soldier Field, not soldier's field.

5. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Factoring in the numbers from yesterday evening's home match at Gillette Stadium, the New England Revolution have set a new record for lowest average attendance in club history:

2003: 14,641 (15 games)
    2002: 16,927 (14 games)
    2001: 15,654 (13 games)*
    2000: 15,463 (16 games)
    1999: 16,735 (16 games)
    1998: 19,188 (16 games)
    1997: 21,423 (16 games)
    1996: 19,025 (16 games)

* 1 match cancelled due to 9/11 terrorist attacks.

The difference of 2,286 fans from 2003 marks the second largest drop in team history. However, said drop has occured not one year removed from the best Revolution season to date (MLS Eastern Conference Champions, MLS Cup Finalist), and after a season that's seen the Revolution reach the playoffs again, lead the league in scoring for a 2nd straight year, and with solid/balanced contributions from Taylor Twellman to Pat Noonan.

Reasons for the drop? Who knows, but any number of Revolution supporters cite the following:

* 4:00PM start times pose serious conflict with a majority of youth soccer leagues.

* Increasing combined expense of tickets, consessions, and parking at Gillette Stadium - a venue that saw tailgate time cut by 1/3 this year, thought to be a means for the Krafts to save money.

* Changes in the front office that saw a majority of the remaining "soccer people" let go just prior to the post-season last year, their responsibilities and other operations consolidated into the Patriot's side of the front office.

It's probably a combination of these three, some other factors figuring in as well.

Any suggestion that the franchise should be moved because there are other cities that "love soccer more" is both ill-informed and without merit.

The Magpie

6. GoFireGo

GoFireGo New Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Chicago
    I dont usually do this but...

Metro: 14K
    DC United: 19K
    LA: 23K
    Colorado: 9K

KC: 12K
    Chicago: 21K
    New England: 10K
    San Jose 10K

7. Sober Tom

Sober Tom Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Glassboro, South Jer
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think you're gonna see a very large crowd at the United/Fire game. Saturday nite at 730 with United returning to the playoffs for the first time in years...everyone's gonna be there. i'm takin at least 26K and probably more.

8. Juan Luis Guerra

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    You are probably right about New England. I think I prediction of 16k is wrong. I should agree with you and give them 10K at the very most. All they do is cry about Sunday schedule, cold, hot, front office, food stands, parking etc... Crying like babies. I'm thinking that 10k for Gillette Stadium is too much. I'm changing my numbers to 8K now.

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Kansas City
    minus: not "on the schedule"
    plus: 6,000+ season ticket holders already have tickets

12k +/- a couple thousand.

10. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Metro: 13K
    DC United: 17K
    LA: 21K
    Colorado: 12K

KC: 14K
    Chicago: 19K
    New England: Between 6 & 11K (Prove me wrong NE)
    San Jose 12K

11. Out_of_Touch

Out_of_Touch New Member

Mar 10, 2002
    Massachusetts
    14k to 16k is probably in the ball park. We may even go higher than 16 given that the Pats are off that Sunday.

12. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000
    Metro: 13,000
    DC United: 22,500
    LA: 21,000
    Colorado: 6,500 (TUesday?????)

KC: 9,000
    Chicago: 17,000
    New England: 8,800
    San Jose 14,000

Being a New England fan I would like to say that it just doesn't feel like the Krafts give two shits about this team. There is no reaosn for there to be tickets priced at 16 dollars for the cheap seats. I think they seriously ned to reconsider there front office management system for the upcoming off season. There is no reason that there should not be 20,000 a game.

Some things that need to change in the off season.

1. Lower ticket prices in the GA to 10 dollars. 12 dollars day of game.

2. Lower the parking from 15 dollars to 10 dollars.

3. Hire back the staff they fired. Bring back Brian Donovan.... SOmeone who actually cares about soccer.

4. Fire Sunil!

5. Open up both sides of the stadium and close down one end zone. Its obvious that this experiment did not work.

13. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    Revs fans are a bunch of whiners. Everyone else has the same issues you have. Get to the games and stop complaining.

NY-15k
    DC-18k
    LA-22k
    Col-12k
    SJ-10k
    CHI-20k
    KC-13k
    NE-7k

14. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000
    come here and say the same thing after you have been watching soccer for 8 years with us.

15. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    If there was ever a thread that was in need of some informed opinion.

To this point the following attendance projections have been offered for the Revolution's home, second-leg tie against the Metrostars on Sunday, November the 9th:

Juan Luis Guerra: 8,000
    GoFireGo: 10,000
    Revolt: Between 6,000 & 11,000K
    Lufty: 8,800
    Okcomputer: 7,000

There is no true NFL conflict as the Patriots have a bye week. Youth soccer commitments may pose a conflict for some, but the fact of the matter is the 4:00PM start times have outdrawn the 6:00PM start times on weekends by a difference of over 2,000 fans per game (in New England) during the 2003 MLS season.

For me the biggest impact will be the following:

* Whether the Revs have offered a playoff match as part of their season ticket package.

* How the Revs fare down at the Meadowlands this weekend.

* How much effort the front office puts in to marketing the home match.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict 14,000-plus. The Revs have two weeks to sell this match and I think they'll come through.

That being said, the front office needs to take a good hard look and ask themselves what they can do better for next season.

The Magpie

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

17. Juan Luis Guerra

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    The Situation with the New England Revolution is worse than what we might think. I'm afraid that the New England franchise might run out of gas and simply disappear in the mist. MLS must take a close look to what is happening at Gillette stadium. The numbers are dropping like a bomb. I hate the fact that fans are just making excuses in order to justify this mess. When I was living in New York I remember that the Situation at Giant Stadium was worst than this and still is and I managed to attempt to almost all games even when games were played in plastic turf. When you want and care for something you go and show your butt up. When MLS decides to move New England to another states, then New England fans will finally start complaining.

18. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice marketing effort by the 'zards.

BTW, as for NE, I don't see them being so different from other MLS teams, so the attendance drop-off over the years must be based somewhat on the product they put on the field. Can any Metro fan believe their front office is any better than NE's?

As for my prediction of between 6 and 11K, that was the range of attendance for NE's playoff matches last year.

Yeah. Except for the final.

19. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Los Angeles 24,000
    CHICAGO 21,000
    DC 17,000
    San Jose 16,000
    Metrostars 15,500
    Kansas City 15,000
    Colorado 13,000
    New England 12,500

Average 16,750

20. Juan Luis Guerra

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    I can garantee you that the Home Depot will be sold out Saturday. Just watch and see

21. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Los Angeles 27,000
    Chicago 20,000
    DC 20,000
    Metrostars 18,000
    San Jose 16,000
    Kansas City 15,000
    Colorado 14,000
    New England 12,000

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    As far as folks predicting 14-15k for the Wizards, I present the all-time Wizards playoff attendance:

4,466 9/26/96 vs Dallas
    11,041 10/13/96 vs Los Angeles

10,174 10/4/97 vs Colorado

8,682 9/16/00 vs Colorado
    4,156 9/25/00 vs Colorado
    11,815 9/29/00 vs Los Angeles
    8,320 10/6/00 vs Los Angeles

5,803 9/26/01 vs Miami

9,484 9/28/02 vs Los Angeles

median: 9,484

With the gains this year, and the playoffs being on a weekend I'd expect 10-12k is a lock, but anything more would be exceptional.

23. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully having a full two weeks to sell tickets will help.

24. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    somebody can look this up, but i belive playoff attendance is always lower then regular season average,

25. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000
    it is always lower but this year is different.

1. Chicago is playing in a new soldier field.
    2. DC is returning to the playoffs for first time in a long long time.
    3. New HDC opening this year in Carson.
    4. All games are on the weekend.
    5. New Format allows for fewer chances to see the teams play. More exciting format as well.
    6. SJ v. LA rivalry, New York v. New England Rivalry both in first round.