Attendance, WTF?

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Tupamaro, Oct 23, 2004.

1. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    haaahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahaaaa this is material right? I am not sure which is better, this one, or the one that said they painted lines inthe field cause of marching band routes... hahahahaa freestyling bands on the post above.. Very amusing thread dudes... Thanks, after that METRO loss I needed a laugh.

2. smudgeyjoe

smudgeyjoe Member

Dec 15, 2001
    Westminster Colorado
    Years ago when I had knees, I was a marching band guy, and the lines on the field are essential. When you are making a formation, you tell the trumpets to turn left on the 35, the flutes on the 40, and so on. I will say though that it was sometimes quite confusing trying to figure if it was out of bounds or not. It would have been great to wait until this morning, but as someone said, this is Bowlen's stadium, and we are the renters!!!!! :D

3. #1Keeper

#1Keeper Member+

Feb 7, 2004
    What I find amusing is the Metrostars losing 2-0 at home.

4. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Do you remember what yardline do the skin floutest turned left on?

5. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Not suprisingly, I didnt find that as amusing..... :)

6. gherter

gherter Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Leesburg, Virginia
    Sigh. I think this happens at all the games, which is why they look so pathetic on TV. At DCU there are usually lots more fans behind the teams, too, rather than on the other side, where they could be seen on TV. I wonder why they don't just shoot the TV angles from the other side to make this look better. Not that it would help much, but 6K is way better than 2K.

I watched all of the games this weekend, and San Jose looked like the only one with a crowd. Go figure.

7. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I also found it amusing when Johnny Walker got PUNKED by Earnie Stewart.

Too bad Amado Guevara didn't get his nuts kicked in....that would've REALLY been amusing.

8. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Got punked by an obviously offsides Stewart isn't especially embarrassing. unless you are the referees ofcourse. To bad they didn't use the football lines as well as those marching bands did by you..

9. btmountainmail

Aug 13, 2004
    Colorado
    I couldn't be there Friday, but for the caliber of soccer at the games, the overall attendance has been depressing all year. Even without idiots talking smack, I wonder about the financial stability of the team (and the league).

I'm not sure the new stadium is going to help, but at least all the money won't be going to Bowlen.

10. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    First thing: The Rapids did actually market this game. I heard lots of Radio ads for the 4 tickets 4 sodas 4 hot dogs for $59 (and it was amusing cuz they said tickets are limited!).

They had the flags around downtown again.

And I saw ads in the Newspapers.

Second thing: Attendance was a bit of a disappointment ... but last year we had only 6.4K! So it's an improvement over that at least.

The big positive was ... that game was full of true fans. There wasn't the quanities of people/kids that weren't paying attention to the game like there usually are during the regular season.

11. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    "And re: counting the number of people behind the goal - We don't really seat people behind the goals - Invesco is a large stadium, most of the fans are seated in the seats bordering the sidelines."

Beat me to it -- and the cameras do point at the more empty side as well. When I have been there the wide open behind-the-goal areas have been great for photography. And across the field shots are obviously better from the less crowded side as well. The infrastructure for television is all on the team's side though. If I understand the situation the solution to the empty looking stadium and the American football lines (not to mention parking and concession revenues and a total footie atmosphere) is on the ballot in Commerce City a week from tomorrow?

On edit "... but last year we had only 6.4K!" And I accounted for 3 of them by driving 5-hours each way and staying over night in between. I couldn't swing it this year but Commerce City has to recognize that they have an opportunity to 'own' an attraction that has its closest direct competition in KC to the East and SLC to the West. Not a bad territory to stake out in a growth industry.

12. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    We got a big chuckle out of the "seats are limited" thing that the Rapids were using...yeah...limited. I guess you could say this for all of our games though. Goals and seats. Both are pretty limited.

I thought that considering that Friday night was breezy and cold (my feet were actually and literally numb after the game, and it took about 40 minutes to get normal feeling back), and the fact that it was a friday night, the attendance wasn't that bad. Sure, you want 20,000 at the stadium, but if we were not season ticket holders and die hard Rapids fans, I think its pretty unlikely that I would have gone to this game.

As for the throngs of kids - Jebus, people - if you bring kids to the game, don't let them wander up and down the steps, have them sit in your lap so they can kick the seat in front of you (to the point where other season ticket holders have to get up and go sit somewhere else), or be a nuisance al game, etc. all game long.

13. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought we were the only ones to get bumped from a Saturday date for marching band stuff. That's more reason to get into your own stadium faster.