Attendance looks sad...

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by davethefourth, Apr 10, 2009.

1. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I appreciated not having to wrestle through the crowds of DB fans, but having so few people in that cavernous stadium really sours the entire experience. I kept thinking how much better that game would have been at Buck Shaw. Could little judas even hear us booing him?!?

2. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That whole thing could've been better in our new Epicenter.

Oh wait.

It WILL be better.

[So looking forward to the Raiders season in their Black Hole; So looking forward to the Earthquakes playing in their proper Epicenter...with a proper sized pitch and a roof, and local microbrew:)]

3. vargasv71

vargasv71 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    california
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thierry Henry...would attract a different & large crowd. Serious soccer snobs didnt come to the DB games. They knew he was a gimmick. Only teenage girls and people hooked on the cheesy Hollywood celebrity shows came(I must be old if I cant even remember their names..."Extra"?). If Thierry came, "the serious crowd" would show in equal numbers to the becks crowd.

4. oofinalheavenoo

Oct 30, 2006
    Daly City, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. A lot of people would come because he had taken France to World Cup title and almost again in 06. He's my favorite striker of all time. Even bought the Gillette Fusion b/c of him.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Henry, Zidane , Ronaldo (Brazil) and Baggio in their day would have attracted large crowds . I do agree however, in today's soccer world, other than maybe Cristiano Ronaldo, there aren't too many plyaers who would attract the big crowds....

6. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big-time Mexican players surely can help the gate, but one would hope you don't end up with a bunch of people just rooting on that one guy, at the expense of the team.

Of course, that would never happen. :rolleyes:

7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess Blanco doesn't qualify as a "big time Mexican" player anymore.

8. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There were plenty of Blanco shirts around Buck Shaw for the Fire match. Not quite like last year in Oakland, though.

9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering how few people he drew this year to Buck Shaw (we didn't even sell out), I think his "star power" is about as big as Kei Kamara's.

10. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe MLS needs star players from other sports to pretend to play soccer, drawing new fans to the league. UFC anybody? Bo Jackson still around? Charles Barkley?

11. tehphil

tehphil Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Colorado
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I flew up for the game and brought along 12 of my friends from the Bay Area. I wasn't expecting Beckham-like crowds but the 15k seemed low, especially because of the rivalry. Regardless, I had a great time (even getting razzed by Quakes fans on the BART).

12. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    How many are the Galaxy drawing? (Not meant as an in your face statement, BTW )..

If I were a LAG fan I would be livid at Beckham.

13. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Enhanced your post

14. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well 15k was what the FO was looking for, and we were just shy of 16k. So it wasn't a bad crowd. But it was a bit stark when compared to the 3 Coliseum games last year (smallest of which was the Blanco 20k game). Just shows how big of a draw that pretty boy was though.

15. illdthedj

illdthedj Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Bay Area, Ca
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    where is everyone's favorite place to sit? i had pretty close sidelines seats, but then half time we went up a deck and behind the goals, and i must say, i MUCH prefer sitting up higher and behind the goals....feels like you get a better look at plays developing and whatnot.....on the sidelines, we were closer to the players but seeing what was going on on the other side of the field was hard at times.....

16. tehphil

tehphil Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Colorado
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    23k vs. Chivas
    16k vs. Rapids
    18k vs. DC United

Frankly, it's nothing to be proud of, but that just goes to show what 3 years of no playoffs will do (oh and no British guy to draw in the teenage girls/gawkers either)

17. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I moved up to the top of the first deck in the second half after sitting close to the sidelines in the first and I have to agree. Even further away it's better to be up a little because you do see play develop better. The Coliseum is so flat though you have to be really far away to get even the kind of height you get at the top of the Buck Shaw stands.

18. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else notice that despite what seemed like a low number, our attendance was the highest of the week?

19. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of good, yet kind of sad at the same time.

20. Airblair

Airblair Member

Dec 8, 1999
    Redwood City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    David Beckham was more than just another player; because of his marriage, he was a pop culture icon. There are few other athletes, none of them soccer players, with that kind of stature. I'd say Tiger Woods, maybe Derek Jeter and Tom Brady, Roger Federer, and that F1 guy Lewis something-or-other.

"Serious soccer snobs" are (a) vastly outnumbered by the cheesy Hollywood types, and (b) not likely to be fooled by an over-the-hill Thierry Henry.

21. vargasv71

vargasv71 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    california
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just bring the whole brand-name teams like back in the NASL days. Oh wait, they already do that. Its called the World Football Challenge. However, MLS should expand that so that every MLS plays at least one foreign team. These games would count towards MLS standings. In other words, they wouldnt be friendlies for the MLS side. At the end of season, invite two best foreign teams back to vie for MLS cup in semifinals. If they dont come, no biggie.
    If Quakes played Boca Juniors or Juventus, you'd get 25k to 30k easily.

22. Since1974

Since1974 New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Downtown San Jose
    How about this... forget the Quakes and just have foreign clubs play here. They could have a summer mini-season. I guarantee you they'd fill major stadiums when they're not being used by the NFL. You know, English teams used to do that back in the 1960's. I think I'm just kidding but it sounds too much like a good idea.

23. vargasv71

vargasv71 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    california
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come to think of it, you're right. It could be soccer's version of the cactus league. There would be an "american soccer development" criteria that would include maybe a few American teams (4 to 6 maybe) plus the caveat that the visiting teams had to train and include maybe 4 americans...just like when the NFL would play a pre-season game in Mexico, and one of those teams would just happen to have signed a mexican player to showcase...who, of course, would be let go a week or two later.