Attendance/atmosphere impression at Soldier's field this friday?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Juan Luis Guerra, Oct 9, 2003.

1. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    So I am watching the fire and crew game on shootout and noticed the atmosphere rocked accept for the football lines... then i noticed the rapids game, their atmosphere stinks but they actually did a good job with the lines... The strangest thing is the bears don't even play this weekend and it makes no sense why they didn't improve the lines.

2. Fuegofan

Fuegofan Member+

Feb 17, 2001
    Chicago
    I think the attendance would have been even better had not a)the Cubs been playing at the same time and b) Mexico wasn't playing Uruguay here on Wednesday night. The whole Hispanic & Latino Law Student Association was planning on going tonight until they found out that Mexico was playing. And let's face it, the Fire are perennial winners, while the Cubs might make history. If you like both sports, and there are a lot who do, you might trade one league game against a playoff.

Don't know if you who were watching on TV got to see this, but at the half, a local radio personality got the mike. I don't remember if he said anything much, but he tried to lead the stadium in singing "Take me out to the ball game" in honor of the Cubs and Haray Carey. It didn't go over too well. There was a great mixture of singing and boos. By the end, the Barnburners and others were chanting "Fire" so loudly that I couldn't hear him finish the song (which is fine, I thought it was a stupid move on his part).

3. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    I was more than happy with last night attendance. Its good for Chicago, its good for the league.

4. counterattack

counterattack New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    What about the width and play of the pitch? I know it had football line all over it, but was it wide, narrow, and how did the ball move on it?

5. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    The word I'm getting is that during NFL season the field will play at 70 in width and that before NFL they can stretch to 75.

We can live with that, I suppose.

6. counterattack

counterattack New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Are you sure about 70? That is not any better than Cardinal. I can't image they play at less than 75 yards.

This just points out again how each team MUST get its own stadium. No matter how nice SF may be, it will NEVER be a soccer stadium

7. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    That is the information that I am getting from my people.

And on that other thing, I'm with you.

The Chicago people can back up what I've said, I'm sure.

8. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    Honestly, I was expecting a perfect field; after all it was not that bad. In addition, Chicago Fire once again proved to be the most dangerous hard to beat team in the league and maybe in MLS history surpassing 1996-99 DC United dynasty. Soldier fields is the "Valley of death" for all MLS team. Any comment?. I mean, I'm a die hard Galaxy fan, but I admit that Chicago is the best team in MLS. I hate how they play. They play so dirty, but they manage to get results and are backed by a underrated goalie like Zach Thorton.

9. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Re: Re: Attendance/atmosphere impression at Soldier's field this friday?

20k in old Soldier Field definitely did rock. I don't think you can make a general statement for all stadiums and all fans. 20k Fire fans in soldier field will probably always provide a better atmosphere than 20k Crew fans, regardless of their stadiums.

10. boots15

boots15 New Member

Sep 19, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    I've been to countless Fire games and last night was a very different, very cool experience. First of all, the attendance was amazing. But nothing has changed with the crowd intercation. Section 8 is the only area where fans are constantly engaged in the game. I felt like I was sitting with a bunch of librarians!
    However, what was really cool is that a lot of people had Cub gear on, but were also cheering the Fire on. People were camped out in front of the TV's at the concession stands to check on the score, and many people were bringing back updates to the crowd. It was really cool to see two Chicago clubs being supported at the same time.

"Take me out to the ballgame" was too much for me at halftime though. That was gay.

11. Jimbob

Jimbob New Member

Jul 17, 1999
    Washington DC
    I think I might have to take a trip up to Chicago to go check out the Fire at Soldier...

You'll seeing the best team in the league for the next four weeks, Juan.

12. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Well, here is a picture of the fans in the second half:

[​IMG]

13. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great pic CityIceMan. That scene looks like a match from Italy or Holland. Section 8 looks like a lot of fun.

14. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    70 is a few yards wider than Cardinal. Plays a lot wider with the deep grass.

The field was ridiculously long too...like 116.

at 75 x 116 with the grass like it is durning the first part of the season the field is going to be a Amazon jungle.

15. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago

What I would like to know is why does the football season matter in regarding the width of the field??

16. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago
    You are wrong my friend!!! Your section does not mean the whole stadium. If your section was so boring instead of talking smack, whu didnt you lead some cheers in yoru section to get it going like we did in section 200!!!

17. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow.

A regular season MLS game.

18. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000
    THAT WAS GAY

19. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Because before the football stadium some of the rows of the west stand can be removed to accomodate a wider field. Once football season starts they don't want to remove seats and have to put them because of the cost involved. Cardinal stadium was 68 yards wide.

20. Fuegofan

Fuegofan Member+

Feb 17, 2001
    Chicago
    Thanks for the picture. It's the first time I've found myself in one of the group shots.

21. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    Soccer Field size during the football season is:
    (116 x 70 yards)
    Soccer Field size during the football off season is:
    116x75 yards.

Cardinal soccer field size was:
    110x68.5yards.

At one of the end zone, three seat sections can be removed, but only when the bears are hiding in the caves. ( increases the width of the soccer field from 70 to 75 yards)

22. The Voice of Reason!

Jan 6, 2002
    Wethersfield CT
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    those are some great pictures at the link. I was actually quite impressed with one showing part of the lower deck and all of the upper deck. there were so many people over there and the big flags waving at the bottom you really gotta appreciate what the fire fans are doing.

the colored stripes look like they were a bigger deal to those in the sectio who were holding them than to those around them. its kinda funny. I mean you put so much time and effort into it and it comes off, but DAMn its a huge stadium, and the building just dwarfed the stripes. I am glad it was done. I think it is definately a sign of what is to come and I imagine more and more stripes. surely next season we could even see a center piece with radiating stripes. good effort, great effort. Chicago is a team I could support.

23. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    no. you are a Metrostars fan. while you may respect what the Fire supporters have done, you must hate them. they stand in our way of total victory. up the metro!!!

24. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Width

Soldier Field seemed to play a lot wider than Cardinal Stadium. Much more than 2 yards wider. I suspect that this is due to the switch to natural grass.

At any rate, for the first time in 2 years, I felt that there was adequate space for wingers in a Chicago Fire home game.