Atletico Madrid vs Liverpool FC - CL - Feb 18 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Nah, just curious.

2. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

3. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not to mention Robo, who looked ready to smack someone on that post-match interview. Hell, the whole team is probably pissed. This will be a long 3 weeks for them but hopefully marinating that loss for a long period will build up their revenge trigger.

newterp and usscouse repped this.
  4. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...tletico-president-blasts-Liverpools-home.html

5. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are you suggesting that there should be a year zero?

according to the dictionary, artificial means: "made or produced by human beings rather than occurring naturally, especially as a copy of something natural."

time is a natural phenomenon. dividing time up into months and years is artificial to the extent that it is a mechanism to give a specific order to something that does not have a natural order. the day is different, of course, because it represents a natural phenomenon. we could say that the year is also a natural phenomenon because it represents one revolution around the sun, but i wont press that too strongly.

in any case, Year Zero, in calendar terms, is nonsensical, so any decade would begin with Year One and, because it's a decade, end with the tenth year in the sequence, which would be the year ending in zero.

6. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gee, thanks. i needed your support.

when details no longer matter, we are left with an uninformed consensus of what is true and what is not. you're probably a post-modern breed of cat, so you don't think there are any absolutes, but maybe you're misinformed.

7. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #132 zaqualung, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Well, it w6r2ed..... worked...
    Except that the terms 1970s and the 80s are social constructs, not mathematical ones

8. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There's a joke in there about your political support and the irony of this statement but we'll pick that up in the rando thread one day.

I do believe in absolutes, by the way. Like the fact that Diego Costa is an absolute shitbag.

9. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    This, from a guy who claimed ( publicly ) that the great cretin in Washington is somehow engaged in activities somehow designed to help eradicate a deliberately uninformed consensus, is truly demented.........

10. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The only players to come out of the night with any real credit are Firmino and Gomez.
    Alison - nothing he could do differently on the night.
    TAA - he was downright awful. one good cross (out of what felt like 22). what seemed like a steady stream of intercepted passes. defensively was all over the place.
    VvD - very shaky early on with several errors, one in particular would have been a goal if any player on the planet other than alvaro morata had been on the ball at that moment (I mean, seriously, how f*cking terrible is morata? how has he played for the biggest clubs in the world? he's a taller Shane Long)
    Gomez - positionally excellent. an endless stream of interceptions and well-timed tackles. incredibly solid on the ball. given an absolutely atrocious card. his best game in a while.
    Robertson - his clearance in the first half was fantastic (I'd say it was game saving, but it would have reached Morata who probably would have kicked it out for a throw-in). useless going forward.
    Gini - needed him to be proactive but was reactive. average.
    Fab - absolute terror defensively, countless times he broke up their attempts to clear their zone when we were on top possession-wise. but was ponderous and slow in possession.
    Hendo - in a game that is going to be played in the margins, the tight spaces, he's not the choice. I thought the game called for Keita (and it seems most of us feel that way). Did come closest to scoring.
    Salah - below par. shut down by an inexperienced 21 yr old. what was his 37 yard first touch all about on Oblak's poor clearance?
    Firmino - found the space to be dangerous, was aggressive when all others were passive. our best player.
    Mane - understand Klopp's rationale but disagree with his decision. Still, not all that great before being subbed.

Origi - was the natural replacement for Mane. caused a few awkward moments for atletico, but not a game changer.
    Ox - seemed slow. several times we lost possession and he was 'chasing' back and I was wondering, "is he uninterested in chasing the ball or just slow?"
    Milner - show of hands: how many people would have preferred Keita?

It's half time.
    We are at Anfield.
    We can't play any worse than we did and they can't execute any better.
    YNWA.

owian, Red Bird and usscouse repped this.
  11. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The numbering of years as BC or AD is 100% "made or produced by human beings rather than occurring naturally". Therefore your entire argument is spurious. :rolleyes:

12. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really sorry, but your perspective is unconvincing. We have to start counting somewhere or there is no accounting for the passage of time. When the division between BC and AD was made ( and it's an arbitrary, rather than accurate, division*, according to most academic sources ), the most significant event in the minds of the people of the subsequent eras was the birth of Jesus. One might argue that such a decision was, again, arbitrary, but some decision had to be made, and it wasn't completely irrational, given the apparent significance of the event, to divide between BC and AD.

If we take as fact that a year marks the passage of the earth around the sun, then the "clock" starts at Year One. It's the first year after the arbitrary division. It ends when the second year begins. I guess we could have had two Year Zeroes, but we don't.

So the first decade ( shall we agree that a decade is ten years? ) ends at the year 10. Now it's obvious more arbitrariness to mark decades as The 40s or the 70s, and there isn't anything inherently wrong with that from a matter of convenience. But it simply isn't, strictly speaking, correct.

*Jesus was probably born around 4BC.

As an aside, I'm an INTP (Myers-Briggs) and the chances are pretty good that I'm pretty close to being as smart as you are, so...

https://www.16personalities.com/intp-personality

13. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agreed below.

14. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    i think we need to try and smash atleti in the first 20 mins, if that fails settle down and pace ourselves until the last 15 mins if its still 0-0 then all out onslaught.

cheeeeeearge!

owian repped this.
  15. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    You said decades are an artificial human construct.

Whatever the rationale, BC/AD are also an artificial human construct.

Both are systems adopted for human convenience. The fact one artificial system conflicts with another doesn't make one right and one wrong.

The rest is irrelevant.

QED.

16. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  17. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    I’ll confess to being more than slightly uncomfortable with this whole notion that Anfield will make everything all right. Yes, the stadium has seen some remarkable European results over the years; yes, there’s no doubting that it can be and is an intimidating venue for opposing teams, but I’m not entirely convinced that Atletico are the type of team to wilt under pressure, as say, Barcelona were. (Having said that, I didn’t think we’d do Barca before the second leg either).

The truth of Tuesday night was that Simone got it bang on and not for the first time, we do have a problem with well marshalled defensive sides. In fairness, most teams would have had a problem. The game was crying out for a Coutinho in his pomp to unpick the lock.

So far this season we’ve managed the bus-parkers well, but often have needed an 85’+ goal to get the job done. The surprise on Tuesday is, I suppose, was that there was no late, late show. We’ve become very used to them, haven’t we? Hopefully not overly reliant on them, I’d like to think.

The return leg is set up for another glorious Anfield European night, but much like 85’+ goals, as we discovered on Tuesday, they don’t always materialize. And that’s what bothers me.

Remove the Anfield factor from the equation, add in the dogged shithousery and very capable, sustained defending of Atletico and the fundamental question remains: do Klopp and the boys have what it takes to win by 2 in 3 weeks time?

They definitely can do it; I’m definitely hoping they do do it, but I’m definitely worried that Atlético have it within their capabilities to get the job done. Anfield alone won’t be enough.

never walk alone TPK, Red Bird and Suss repped this.
  18. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What about Anfield plus the world champions?

speker repped this.
  19. bayred

bayred Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    May 28, 2018
    I’m a left-handed ENTP with a facial tick.

20. soccershaggy

soccershaggy Member+

May 18, 2003
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Can you all take the non relevant crap into the thread designed for it? I don't care about arguing about numbers/decades, or your politics.

Wingtips1 and Suss repped this.
  21. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    really? i would have pegged you for an ESTJ. the facial tic? hard to notice in a football forum.
    then don't...

22. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I also thought the post-match comments from both Klopp, Robertson and van Dijk were borderline WTF? It's almost as if they had not heard of or seen Simeone's Atletico Madrid before this match. I'm hoping it was a classic, public deflection from our own shortcomings.of which there were legion.

usscouse and Wingtips1 repped this.
  23. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    their sh*thousery will not be encouraged by our stadium and a referee is more likely to be swayed by our 50k fans than their 11 whingers.
    but if our players allow themselves to be dragged into their play acting all bets are off.

I think Keita should be in from the start, but have a feeling that klopp will start Milner...

24. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ugh, I hope you're wrong.

25. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Lots of Short Comings...!!!
    We had the ball, we had possession but we didn’t have a clue once we got said ball near their penalty area. Once they scored they just engaged in their Simeone f’kery with the odd run at our goal by their equally ineffective attack as ours.