Atletico Madrid vs Chelsea

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Yahtzee, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yeah and we're not even close to playing our best team IMO. Alonso and Jorginho are handicaps. The sooner this becomes understood, the closer we become to really looking like the real deal.

2. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've always maintained that for us to be successful we need to build from the back.

Get your defense in order and the rest will come.

It's tough for fans because we want to see the team go out there and blow the other side away, especially given the attacking talent we have.

After quite a few matches against varying opposition we do look way better defensively and expect to see improvements in other areas of the pitch as the season progresses.

Can't seeing us remain unbeaten in this tough 4 game stretch but tbh I thought that we would lose that streak today and I was flat out wrong.

3. ComeOnChelsea

ComeOnChelsea Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I know Chilwell isn't a natural LWB, but I don't see how he can't provide the same that Alonso does. TT really likes the height Alonso provides for clearances, but he really is getting a lot of mileage from the Burnley goal

4. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need to offer that man another contract extension of a year

5. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Def didn’t expect this result. Figured we be hanging on by our pants after an early goal and lucky to pull one back. I’ll take a 1-0 away win. Hope we looked good. I’ll have to go back and watch later.

6. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Eh, we were better but it wasn't pretty.

**Queue Gary Neville orgasm

upload_2021-2-23_15-12-39.png

7. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We're one of the few teams to give Atletico Madrid trouble. This is not a bad squad honestly, it's just that we now have a guy in charge that knows what to do with this squad.

8. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    A good result, fabulous finishing from Giroud I see that the useless sod Mount is not playing the return leg which will please a lot of people (seriously though he was great again today).
    I don't know what Madrid play but it certainly ain't football (I pity the Spanish if they have to put up with all that sh*t every game), luckily Rudiger managed to stop himself from separating Suarez from his teeth (just). I'm not sure whether either team will have Man City or Munich shaking in their boots after that game but nonetheless I think the boys done well and certainly deserved the win.

Rman3349 repped this.
  9. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Great result against a bunch of dirty bastards who really parked the bus, especially in the first half. Should have had something in the first 45, and overall richly deserved the win.

The nice thing is that there is still room to grow, even with the current team, not to mention once the currently-outcast squad members get incorporated.

Yahtzee repped this.
  10. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Atletico have played like this under Simeone for years. Hard to break and will hit you on the counter. This was the same team that had Diego Costa before he joined us. They also had players like Griezmann, Arda Turan, and Falcao doing damage.

not the most pleasing side to watch for aesthetics, obviously.

11. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Felix is no slouch either. 3rd most expensive purchase was completely nullified.

....makes me feel better about Havertz.

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We'll miss the latter a lot more than the former.

13. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  14. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  15. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    That was great. We felt in control the whole game. Athletico played their defensive game but it really backfired. Hats off to Tuchel and the boys.

OG, man.

16. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    I thought that little b@stich had Rudiger baited, but he pulled himself back at the last minute.

17. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I really hate Suarez. somebody should really hit him before his career is over.
    and I really hate Simeone - what is his deal? all dressed in black. He's NOT Johnny Cash. He's a pantomime villain. He's a wrestling character. Sad.

18. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We’d welcome both with open arms to Chelsea. Suarez is phenomenal striker. Simeone is a phenomenal coach. Even if you don’t like the style. He doesn’t have to be Johnny Cash to enjoy dressing in all black.

19. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Meh, I personally couldn't stand Costa after a while. We're a team with, imo, a pretty clean profile. I like it that way.

20. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I wouldn't be happy with Someone as coach, at the end of the day it's about entertainment and his team is probably the worst I've ever seen for entertainment value! Also I don't want to see Reece James falling over and clutching his shin everytime somebody brushes up against him or Hudson Odoi giving cowardly little 'pokes' in an attempt at trying to get people sent off, I'd rather leave that bollox to Argentinians, Spaniards and Italians.

21. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that’s part of problem of late. I think we’ve lost an edge that we use to have.

22. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His system is about winning not style. It’s likely exacerbated by the fact that he plays against Barcelona and Real Madrid. La Liga doesn’t give teams even footing the same way EPL does financially. Though I believe they were looking at changing that to keep up with the EPL. And some things will never be truly “even.” I suspect he’d be similar but also different to what we currently see.

23. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yes I do agree...........but its just not for me, sitting through it for 90 minutes infuriates me, having to sit through it every game would drive me nuts.

24. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get it and we’ve all been clamoring for it. However, many of our most successful years were under similar coaches. Mou, Conte, etc... it’s def a balance between winning with style and just winning. We want both. Simeone wouldn’t provide that but I don’t doubt that we’d win trophies with him.

25. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Chelsea have historically had a bit of swagger about them (the whole fashionable kings road thing). When you're not competing for trophies, the least you can ask for is entertainment and we've had some fun teams over the years.

The trade off of success is every match takes on extra weight (winning one week, losing the next matters a lot more when you are aiming for titles and not messing around in the middle of the table).

I've found myself appreciating the tactical side of the game more and being happy for those ground out 1-0's I used to loathe arsenal for during my schooldays. I'll take a 1-0 in pretty much any match if offered it.

And whilst winning and playing open expansive, football is still the dream, I've definitely changed over the years in what I want the team to prioritise. Roman wants to see entertaining football but he mostly wants to win. Of course being an oligarch he expects both and that has certainly led to more than one manager having a shorter tenure than they would otherwise.

My baseline has shifted a little to being a fun team to watch to just not being a bunch of dirty c***s. Whilst we've had players that definitely pushed that boundary, I dont think I'd fancy a win at all costs coach like simeone. So I'd pass too I think, but less to do with the defensive, opportunistic style of football and more due to the attitude of his teams.

JimWharton and Yahtzee repped this.