atlas-tijuana 1/4/7:00 PM PST

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by felloveranddidanadu, Jan 4, 2014.

1. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 felloveranddidanadu, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
    garza gets the nod of castillo, joe benny and herc also start. castillo and ariola on the bench. did i miss anyone? fernando arce's son is getting a lot of mentions as well, fwiw. tj fans have traveled really well. their section is a complete sell out.

0-0, great game so far.

edit: also, kinda confusing. atlas are in their own home red and black, tj is in an all white kit. have they had one before? me likey.

double edit: it's actually atlas' fans who are causing a ruckus. they are a force at home.

Winoman, autobus39 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    28th minute, gandolfi gives away a stupid penalty on a 2-1 break. clear call, yellow card.

and saved!!!

3. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    atlas have carved tijuana up a few times after the penalty, but to no avail, still 0-0 37th minute. corona and garza have been active and linked up well. herc has been a pest. tj playing a 4-3-3 and not looking used to it. arce looks a bit uncomfortable on the right side.

4. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tijuana have looked more dangerous than Atlas. Gomez has been decent but I'm expecting Arriola to put on a better show.

5. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    half time, 0-0.

it was a great half of soccer-- really glad lia mx is back!

herc came more to the fore towards the end of the half, was mostly a number 9 up top. he and corona linked up well late in the half for a half chance and he had a tasty shot, which turned into a corner which he then and a looping bike kick chance. both he and corona also had pretty decent chances at goal. garza has looked solid. definitely a lot more bulk on him than castillo, it'll be interesting to see if he keeps castillo out of the side.

tj controlled large parts of that half, but atlas had the better chances.

wixson7 repped this.
  6. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Castillo is gonna be used more as a winger this season. Garza did very well in the 1st half.

7. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    would love an ariola sighting in the next few minutes...xolos without much precision and many good ideas in the attacking 1/3.

8. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    castillo on for corona. still 0-0, 70'

9. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    probably just me, but i think is the most intrusive scoreboard graphic ive ever seen

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The coach must be a moron. Arriola poses more of an attacking threat than Corona, Castillo and Herc.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disappointed

12. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seconded. neither team did much in the way of attacking. herc looked old and injured. castillo contributed little to nothing. only garza has stood out with two minutes left. really wish we could've seen arriola.

13. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's all she wrote, ends 0-0. garza gets a gold star. the other yanks: meh. herc and corona did have the best chances for their team, but neither did much of note to influence the game. castillo looked the worst of the three.

it'll take a few games for the team to adjust to the new formation. hope arriola can really push his case. the mid and attack for xolos was pretty lacking for most of the game.

Winoman repped this.
  14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Corona is an awful player, and I think his chances of playing for the national team ever again are all about done unless he significantly improves. He got by for a few years by being a starter on good team in Mexico, but that won't work anymore. We have better players. Unless he improves his game, he is done as far as the USMNT is concerned. Really disappointed to see the coach give him minutes instead of Arriola. Hopefully its just one game. Anyone that isn't blind could spot the better player between the two.

15. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, it seems like he's maybe hit his level, which is disappointing. he's always good for a few good touches and some well placed balls a game, but is too anonymous most of the time. he seems like he's decent in a few different spots on the field, but not really great at any. i've been giving him the benefit of the doubt for a while, largely due to mix calling him out as a really good player in the mix thread.

i personally think castillo is in a tougher spot if garza is keeping him out of lb. he came on and looked bad, contributed nothing in attack and had a few costly mistakes and turn-overs. really hope herc can have a good season, but judging from today's performance, he looked slow and came up limping late in the game. arriola needs to feature based on the performance today.

16. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Arriola play defense (still haven't seen him play)? Whenever a player I like doesn't get much time I try and see how much better the starter is playing defense and that's usually the answer. Coaches are pretty conservative and a player creating a few more chances a game doesn't help if he is allowing even more with defensive deficiencies.

17. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ricardo Bocanegra went 70 minutes for Atlas.

Highlights

My impression is that Arriola may not be a fantastic defender, but he will track back.

18. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did Garza do in the second?