Rumor: Atlanta United to Acquire Bobby Boswell from DCU?

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by ATLfirefan, Aug 8, 2017.

1. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steven Goff reported that Atlanta United is trying to acquire veteran center back Bobby Boswell from D.C. United.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-united-may-acquiring-defensive-help/qQ976bZPFRWC6yzku9vcEJ/

The Five Stripes have four center backs on the roster, but only Leandro Gonzalez Pirez and Michael Parkhurst have played in those positions. Anton Walkes is playing at the RB position and Miles Robinson hasn't seen action in an MLS match all year.

More importantly, Atlanta will have to unload a player from the squad, as we have a full roster. Who goes to DC and what else do we give up for Boswell, who likely will just add depth?

2. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    All depends on the return. I won't turn my nose up at veteran cover but he doesn't really fit the model, does he? Would hate to give up anything of value for a spare part from the worst team in the league.

3. Professor B

Professor B Member

Oct 13, 2000
    Grundy, VA
    Will we need to drop someone from the roster with Zach Lloyd going on the season-ending injury list?

Will this be about rotation in the back (with Parkhurst?) in September? Lots of games in very little time...

Three in the back? Pires shifted elsewhere? Just here for cover?

It's not so much the draft pick that we have to DC. It's his salary that we picked up/took off their hands.

4. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
  6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    a) I do think part of this is the veteran presence factor and depth for the congestion ahead, with a possible note regarding the development (or lack thereof) from Mr. Robinson. Sadly. It's not a bad move but not one I see as critical unless they're planning more lineup tweaks in the days ahead.

b) Following MLS transfer saga just seems so sad compared to the big bucks tossed around in Europe. I'm not saying that to slight MLS and am a complete realist, it just seems funny. ie: Dwyer's "HUGE!" move for, what, $1.7M?

c) "Bobby? Hi, welcome to Atlanta! We look forward to you contributing to our playoff run this season. Say, in exchange from saving you from RFK stadium, perhaps you can tell us how the f*** to beat your old team?"

Auriaprottu repped this.
  7. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buying wins? I'm OK with this.

8. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    Hear hear!!

9. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This move isn't making waves, but it's definitely an upgrade for both parties. Atlanta adds depth at the one spot we might not have real depth while "dumping" a player who wasn't really close to sniffing the field this MLS season. Boswell now comes to a playoff-contending team.

I ain't mad.

10. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At first, I didn't like it, but now think it was a smart choice. Parkhurst isn't a spring chicken either and maybe rotating both would be a good way to get more life out of our center back line. Ultimately, this is a short term move though.

The biggest downside is that we didn't get a RB. I think it's a damn shame we didn't push hard for Keegan Rosenberry. He's just rotting away at Philly and he's got the talent to be the right sided version of Greg Garza.

ATLfirefan repped this.
  11. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Of all the positions we really needed to upgrade, it was definitely RB. Walkes is fine defensively, but has not given us much in the attack and Mears is an old man trying to play a young man's game. Rosenberry would have been a good fit and was really the only RB we could have poached.

To me, we could have sent a pick and money to Philly for him, especially after the $75,000 TAM we got for a roster spot.