Atlanta Silverbacks 2015

Discussion in 'Atlanta NASL' started by realmadrid1086, Dec 24, 2014.

1. realmadrid1086

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 29, 2002
    Alabama
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's start looking ahead to the 2015 season. We have a coach now (Gary Smith), and we've re-signed six players (Chavez-F, Cruz-M, Espinoza-D, Harlley-M, Poku-M/F, and Sousa-D/M). Eric Wynalda is gone. So where do we go from here?

I'm interested to see how this team takes shape. We've lost an excellent scout in Eric Wynalda, but I think the team has done a good job to hire Gary Smith. Will there be a clear departure from Wynalda's strategy of signing a Latino-heavy roster of flair players? Will Gary Smith bring in grind-it-out type players from the English lower leagues?

Both Joe Nasco and Matt Horth are available right now. I would like to see the 'Backs try to sign both of them. Any players that you would like to see signed?

2. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
  3. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
  4. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on his time with the Rapids and Stevenage, my bet is Smith will look for hard-nosed, high work rate players for a straight 4-4-2. Expect a lot of 1-0 games. However, despite his reputation, he's a nice guy and a good pickup for your coach.

5. realmadrid1086

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 29, 2002
    Alabama
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't be surprised if Gary Smith brought in some players that were with him in Colorado. Here are a few I wouldn't mind seeing:
    • Kosuke Kimura, defender - Just had his option declined by the Red Bulls and wasn't selected in the MLS Re-entry draft.
    • Andre Akpan, forward - Never really distinguished himself in MLS but has good pedigree (former US U-20). I believe he's under contract with New England, but he never plays. We might be able to get him on loan.
    • Wells Thompson, midfielder - Last played in MLS in 2013 with the Chicago Fire. He played for the Charlotte Eagles in the PDL last season. Not sure if he's under contract for next season.
    • Colin Clark, midfielder - Played for the Colorado Rovers, a team in the Colorado Amateur Soccer League, last season. Was a pretty solid winger during his MLS days. I'd be interested to see if he has anything left in the tank.
    In related news, former Silverbacks Danny Barrera, Pedro Mendes, and Mike Ambersley all had their options declined by their respective NASL teams. I wonder if we might see any of them return? Barrera's obviously talented, but a bit of a head case. I didn't watch much of Mendes last year, but he was solid with the Silverbacks in 2012-13. I think Ambersley would be a good pickup -- he's been a pretty consistent scorer in the NASL.

Thoughts?

6. realmadrid1086

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 29, 2002
    Alabama
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My Spanish isn't very good, but "nuevo club" doesn't sound promising. Looks like Junior Burgos is gone.

7. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Matt Horth tweeted: "That's a wrap! Contract signed and submitted. No transfer option. Excited by the new steps being taken at the club. Feels good to be back"

I did the creeper thing and checked his wife's Instagram and they're back in the States...in Alpharetta. Would be great to have him back.

GoDawgsGo and realmadrid1086 repped this.
  8. realmadrid1086

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 29, 2002
    Alabama
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prosoccercdn and Foxinc repped this.
  9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
  11. Foxinc

Foxinc Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
  12. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the league team got a good forward (if he gets his 2013 form back).

http://www.nasl.com/article/uuid/15...er-best-xi-forward-hans-denissen#.VOOo3CxbSdM

14. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sam U El repped this.
  15. SoccerATLdotcom

SoccerATLdotcom New Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. SoccerATLdotcom

Feb 18, 2015
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prosoccercdn and Foxinc repped this.
  17. SoccerATLdotcom

Feb 18, 2015
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. realmadrid1086

Newcastle United
    United States
    Apr 29, 2002
    Alabama
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the past few weeks, the club has signed GK C.J. Cochran and defenders Christopher Christian and Rauwshan McKenzie. The club parted ways with defender Edgar Espinoza. The squad is slowly but surely coming together. Since the roster on the club's website is not correct, I have compiled a current (as of 3/18) roster below -- let me know if I'm missing someone.

I remember reading (I believe from Coach Smith) that the roster will be fairly small this year, so I think we can expect maybe 2-4 more players. The defense is coming together nicely, and we appear to be pretty stacked at forward. I think we need to sign a couple more midfielders and at least 1-2 more defenders (although Ferrety can also play there).

What do you guys think? I'm pleasantly surprised with the roster that's being assembled. Although, it's disappointing to have so few returning players. Pablo Cruz and Edgar Espinoza were two of my favorites, so it's tough to see them leave.

Goalkeepers

Steward Ceus
    C.J. Cochran

Defenders
    Paul Black
    Rauwshan McKenzie
    Simon Mensing
    Kyle Miller
    Christopher Christian

Midfielders
    Ferrety Sousa
    Alex Harlley
    Jon Okafor
    Dominic Oppong
    Michael Reed

Forwards
    Jaime Chavez
    Shaka Bangura
    Hans Denissen
    Matt Horth
    Kyle Porter

19. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    For a league owned team they seem to have assembled a solid roster with a good coach. Look forward to seeing how former Eddies players Porter and Oppong perform.

20. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Welp, only found out today that I'm off of the broadcasts. Jerks.

Enjoy the season, guys.

21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. SoccerATLdotcom

Feb 18, 2015
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
  24. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They may be leagued own but don't sleep on the Silverbacks...